• April 26, 2024, 09:30:39 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Author Topic: Unable to see Windows networked devices through VPN to D-Link DIR-330 router.  (Read 5566 times)

gaston9x19

• Level 1 Member

I bought a DIR-330 to host a VPN at a customer's home office, so he can hopefully tunnel into it from a remote storefront and access his Windows P2P network (an external hard drive connected to the DIR-330 being the most vital requirement) as if he were hard-wired into the D-Link router there in the office. I followed the Setting Up PPTP VPN for Windows Clients guide in the D-link knowledge base to the letter, and I can connect to the VPN, but then I can't do anything with it. I can't browse the Internet, and I can't pull up any devices in Windows XP's "My Network Places" like I can when I'm there in person.

I noticed that when I am connected, the WAN MiniPort VPN's IP Address is the same as the Gateway Address, with a subnet mask of 255.255.255.255, and this is being automatically obtained form the DIR-330. Is this normal? SHOULD I be able to browse the Internet through the DIR-330 with these IP settings? Am I correct in assuming that while connected to the VPN, I should be able to use any of the same items on the existing Windows workgroup-type network that I can use while connected to the router using it's normal pool of DHCP-provided LAN IP addresses?

Please help me figure this out! Thanks.
« Last Edit: July 24, 2010, 05:58:19 PM by gaston9x19 »

gaston9x19

• Level 1 Member

I got the ability to browse (very slowly) via VPN. I had Charter's DNS servers hard-coded in the router from a previous attempt; setting that to dynamic again got me a webpage, but I still cannot see any of the other networked computers, printer, or external hard-drive while connecting through the VPN. Is there a way to solve this problem? Does it have something to do with NetBIOS?

gaston9x19

• Level 1 Member

IS THERE A WAY TO ENABLE NETBIOS OVER THE VPN CONNECTION?

Fatman

• Level 9 Member

No, there is not.

The only potential solution would be a name server, either DNS or WINS.
non progredi est regredi