• March 28, 2024, 08:38:05 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Pages: 1 ... 76 77 [78] 79 80 ... 122

Author Topic: OT Conversations regarding not much or nothing or something...  (Read 1224251 times)

fraggboy

• Level 3 Member
Re: OT Conversations regarding not much or nothing or something...
« Reply #1155 on: October 26, 2011, 03:33:02 PM »

I have a small desk fan blowing on my 4500, modem, and NAS, with my 4500 elevated like you.

Hard Harry

« Reply #1156 on: October 26, 2011, 04:18:59 PM »

One of my 4500s is 5 years now.  ;D

My DGL-4300 is still going strong at my friends house. She doesn't have internet, just uses it to network her laptops together. She does alot of PC to PC gaming and file sharing. And I think I bought that in 2004? Its been kicked around too, moved across the country, caught in a rain storm and taken apart (I was curious). 4500 is not quite robust (I have taken my 4500 apart too and compared) but still very good router. I still claim the DGL-4300 was the best retail available, stock, G router out there. Only thing I see beating it is the WRT54GS with 3rd party firmware.

Hard Harry

« Reply #1157 on: October 26, 2011, 04:19:46 PM »

I have a small desk fan blowing on my 4500, modem, and NAS, with my 4500 elevated like you.

Best tip I got was to put the 4500 over one of my fans that have pushing out at the top of my case. Works like a charm.

kargo27

• Level 5 Member
« Reply #1158 on: October 26, 2011, 07:48:44 PM »

My DGL-4300 is still going strong at my friends house. She doesn't have internet, just uses it to network her laptops together. She does alot of PC to PC gaming and file sharing. And I think I bought that in 2004? Its been kicked around too, moved across the country, caught in a rain storm and taken apart (I was curious). 4500 is not quite robust (I have taken my 4500 apart too and compared) but still very good router. I still claim the DGL-4300 was the best retail available, stock, G router out there. Only thing I see beating it is the WRT54GS with 3rd party firmware.

Yeah, what is the deal with the WRT54GS and it's following?  It's like a cult following on old technology.  What gives?  I don't get it.   ???

Hard Harry

« Reply #1159 on: October 26, 2011, 08:14:05 PM »

In a word? Firmware.

The WRT54GS v2 is compatible with almost every 3rd party firmware out there. It has the stable broadcom CPU, 32 RAM and 8 Flash, good power supply, and later on you could get one for 40$ on Ebay. Take a 40$ WRT54GS, slap a mega dd-wrt build on it, and replace the antenna with high gain, and you had a router that beat the pants off of 200/300/350$+ routers. Media servers, DDNS, print server, serial port, advance firewall types, high threshold VPN tunneling..they are beasts. Over the last 3-5 years, the technology has just started to catch up. But Pre-N, if you were a geek, you had a WRT54GS...period. Heck, entire sub-cultures grew up around them. And all because o***overnment order for linksys to make their firmware code public. Seriously, google it sometimes, its a fascinating story.

kargo27

• Level 5 Member
« Reply #1160 on: October 26, 2011, 09:40:21 PM »

In a word? Firmware.

The WRT54GS v2 is compatible with almost every 3rd party firmware out there. It has the stable broadcom CPU, 32 RAM and 8 Flash, good power supply, and later on you could get one for 40$ on Ebay. Take a 40$ WRT54GS, slap a mega dd-wrt build on it, and replace the antenna with high gain, and you had a router that beat the pants off of 200/300/350$+ routers. Media servers, DDNS, print server, serial port, advance firewall types, high threshold VPN tunneling..they are beasts. Over the last 3-5 years, the technology has just started to catch up. But Pre-N, if you were a geek, you had a WRT54GS...period. Heck, entire sub-cultures grew up around them. And all because o***overnment order for linksys to make their firmware code public. Seriously, google it sometimes, its a fascinating story.

Interesting!  Reading about it now.....
« Last Edit: October 26, 2011, 09:43:00 PM by kargo27 »

FurryNutz

• Poweruser
  •   ▲
    ▲ ▲
  • D-Link Global Forum Moderator
    • Router Troubleshooting
« Reply #1161 on: October 27, 2011, 07:17:52 AM »

And I've never used a fan.  ::)

Best tip I got was to put the 4500 over one of my fans that have pushing out at the top of my case. Works like a charm.
Cable: 1Gb/50Mb>NetGear CM1200>DIR-882>HP 24pt Gb Switch. COVR-1202/2202/3902,DIR-2660/80,3xDGL-4500s,DIR-LX1870,857,835,827,815,890L,880L,868L,836L,810L,685,657,3x655s,645,628,601,DNR-202L,DNS-345,DCS-933L,936L,960L and 8000LH.

Hard Harry

« Reply #1162 on: October 27, 2011, 05:23:07 PM »

Well I am not saying a fan is required. Just saying I would have never thought of putting my router on top of my PC, but someone on this forum suggested it and it works great. I was actually having some packet loss on my WLAN one day and moving it there fixed it.

Darkknight

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #1163 on: October 27, 2011, 11:31:13 PM »

Depending on how long the 4500 lasts, I might be a faithful D-Link customer for now on.  For the price I paid for it, I would like at least 2-3 years out of the wireless portion.  If I get that, then I am 'sold' on D-Link.

Does anyone own a D-Link wireless router older than 3 years (And the wireless signal is strong)?

What funny timing...

I decided to stop by just to post that I had to retire my DGL4500 today, and found your post. I bought it 11/28/07 from Circuit City (lol, they failed sooner, who would've guessed that?).

Anyhow, It was great for years, then in March after my wife and I picked up a couple of HTC thunderbolts, whenever the wifi on the phones was connected for more than a few minutes, the wireless would die on the router altogether, occasionally locking up the whole router (display still works fine though...). Took a while to figure it out. When we kept the wifi disabled on the phones, the 4500 will last days/weeks sometimes without a problem, then bam. Lose all internet access for no reason. The router in general has just gotten more unstable since then, which doesn't work well with online gaming. Can't even access the internal page to reboot remotely. I actually have to walk over and unplug the darn thing.

It's sad really, because I remember the router having 180day+ uptimes. It has been by far the best most stable router I've owned, and I still wouldn't have replaced it, except it dies too often when streaming HD content to my HTPCs. I refuse to constantly reboot it anymore.

I hate to say it, but I replaced it with an E4200. First, I don't dig white electronics. Second, Dlink has really struggled with their firmware. I was fortunate enough to have kept v1.02 on my 4500 this whole time. I half wonder if updating the firmware would fix the buggy wireless, but I don't want to bother at this point. Seems like a problem regardless of which option I choose, so I wanted a new router. The reviews surrounding the latest dlink models indicate more of the same, buggy products. I wanted simul-dual band to segregate my HTPCs from phones/tablet/etc. TBH, I thought the 4500 did that when I bought it, I was sadly disappointed. The 665 doesn't seem to do that, and it's got horrible reliability reviews. 855 does do it, but doesn't support 450Mbps, and looking at it would only serve to remind me that my beloved 4500 failed over a pair of new phones.  :'(

Also, I'd like to point out that the display was an awesome idea, but going with OLEDs that can't stay on all the time was a stupid idea. What exactly is the point of putting a flashy item on there that won't flash for fear of wearing out? Great idea, poor execution.

Dlink's attitude towards tech support has changed dramatically since then as well. I won't debate the merits, but I will say changing to a paid support model was not a popular decision with me.

So, that being said, I got exactly 3 years and 11 months to the day from my DGL 4500. I'll keep it as a backup, and perhaps even try an updated firmware one day. I still have my old 624 banging around some place, and I hated that thing.

kargo27

• Level 5 Member
« Reply #1164 on: October 28, 2011, 06:26:18 AM »

Hey Darkknight, I have an E4200 too, and it rocks!  Furry didn't have good luck with it when I lent it to him to try out, though.  :(

I would definitely try that firmware update for your 4500.  If that's the fix then you'd have a good, reliable backup if your E4200 petered out.

I'm glad that you posted; it's good to get an idea of how long the router is lasting for folks.

kargo27

• Level 5 Member
« Reply #1165 on: October 28, 2011, 06:27:46 AM »

This looks like a decent deal on a wireless HP printer...today only!

http://1saleaday.com/

JavaLawyer

• BETA Tester
  • Level 15 Member
    • FoundFootageCritic
« Reply #1166 on: October 28, 2011, 07:06:47 AM »

Do you live out in the backwoods of America? FCC Moves to Fund Rural Broadband  :)
Find answers here: D-Link ShareCenter FAQ I D-Link Network Camera FAQ
There's no such thing as too many backups FFC

kargo27

• Level 5 Member
« Reply #1167 on: October 28, 2011, 12:50:46 PM »

Do you live out in the backwoods of America? FCC Moves to Fund Rural Broadband  :)

Hmmm, I have mixed feelings about this.

Will it be cost effective?  How long to get a return on investment?

Then I think it would be nice to have a more level playing field for subscribers.

I wonder if it will be DSL, cable, fiber optics, or what?  I doubt fiber, too expensive.

kargo27

• Level 5 Member
« Reply #1168 on: October 28, 2011, 12:52:59 PM »

Looking at that link that Java placed for rural broadband, a Battlefield 3 ad popped up and raised a question for me.

What is the orange "light" on the side of the soldier's torso supposed to represent?

JavaLawyer

• BETA Tester
  • Level 15 Member
    • FoundFootageCritic
« Reply #1169 on: October 28, 2011, 01:10:15 PM »

Will it be cost effective?  How long to get a return on investment?

Cost effective? We're talking about the Federal Government.
ROI = [1 /($Invested)]
Find answers here: D-Link ShareCenter FAQ I D-Link Network Camera FAQ
There's no such thing as too many backups FFC
Pages: 1 ... 76 77 [78] 79 80 ... 122