• March 28, 2024, 01:30:33 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Author Topic: Errors in Statistics, Packet Loss  (Read 4665 times)

IlbiStarz

• Level 1 Member
Errors in Statistics, Packet Loss
« on: September 16, 2015, 10:30:59 PM »

So I'm not sure if this is actually a problem or not, but this is what my Wireless Statistics page says :
WIRELESS Statistics - 2.4GHz Band
Sent :
Received :
TX Packets Dropped :
RX Packets Dropped :
Collisions :
Errors :

What does the error mean and how should I fix it?

Another problem that I've had for a long time (I don't know if the router is suspect or not),  I've been having lots of packet loss on and off. Most of the time my internet will be fine, and at random times during the day or night, my ping and jitter will randomly spike and ill have anywhere from 10-50% packet loss (according to PingPlotter and pingtest.com). I've contacted my ISP, cox, and they've said there shouldnt be any problems..so I don't know what to do. Any help here?

Thanks.

FurryNutz

• Poweruser
  •   ▲
    ▲ ▲
  • D-Link Global Forum Moderator
    • Router Troubleshooting
Re: Errors in Statistics, Packet Loss
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2015, 07:45:46 AM »

Link>Welcome!

• What Hardware version is your router? Look at sticker under the router case.
  • Link>What Firmware version is currently loaded? Found on the routers web page under status.
  • What region are you located?

Errors are mostly issues seen in the data coming and going thats being reported is all. Could be many things. Device or interferences.

Internet Service Provider and Modem Configurations
  • What ISP Service do you have? Cable or DSL?
  • What ISP Modem Mfr. and model # do you have?
  • Is ISP Modem/Service using Dynamic or Static WAN IP addressing?
  • What ISP Modem service link speeds UP and Down do you have? Link> Speed Testing Sites
  • By-pass the main host router and check internet connection by connecting a wired LAN PC directly to the ISP modem to verify connection access and ISP speeds.
  • Check cable between Modem and Router, swap out to be sure. Link> Cat6 is recommended.
  • Check ISP MTU requirements, Cable is usually 1500, DSL is around 1492 down to 1472. Call the ISP and ask. Link>Checking MTU Values

Wireless Configurations
Links>Wireless Installation Considerations and Managing Signal Congestion and Good Neighbour Policy
  • Ensure the default (dlink) SSID name is changed. Ensure that different SSID names are used between each WiFi 2.4/5Ghz radios. Can be anything and not something that's already in use by any neighbouring WiFi routers. Under Setup/Wireless/Manual.
  • What wireless modes are you using?
  • Try setting a manual Channel to a open or unused channel. 1, 6 or 11. 11 for single mode N if the channel is clear. 13 for EU regions. Try channel 48 or 149 on 5Ghz.
  • What security mode are you using? Preferred security is WPA-Personal. WPA2/AES Only. Some WiFi adapters don't support AES, so you might want to try TPIK only or Auto TPIK and AES.
  • What wireless devices do you have connected?
  • Ensure any devices with WiFi adapter drivers are updated.
  • Any 2.4Ghz or 5Ghz cordless house phones or WiFi APs near by that maybe causing interferences?
  • Any other WiFi routers in the area that maybe causing interferences? Link> Use InSSIDer to find out. How many? Use v3, its free.
  • If you have any of these options, Try turning OFF or ON Short GI, WLAN Partition, Extra Wireless Protection and HT 20/40 Co-existence if you have it. Also testing with HT20/40Mhz Co-existence enabled will impact results as well. I prefer to use this option OFF. Recommended settings are default. Under Advanced/Advanced Wireless.

Router Placement
Forum User - "Well I feel really dumb. After moving the router away from other electronic devices my speeds are back to normal. Just a heads up for anyone experiencing slow speeds, you might want to move it away from other electronics and see if that helps."
3-6' feet minimum safe distance between devices.
Placement on main level floor and central in the building and WELL ventilated is preferred. Not in basements or closets as building materials, or near by electronics devices could interfere or hinder good signal propagation.
http://www.smallnetbuilder.com/wireless/wireless-basics/31083-smallnetbuilders-wireless-faq-the-essentials
Cable: 1Gb/50Mb>NetGear CM1200>DIR-882>HP 24pt Gb Switch. COVR-1202/2202/3902,DIR-2660/80,3xDGL-4500s,DIR-LX1870,857,835,827,815,890L,880L,868L,836L,810L,685,657,3x655s,645,628,601,DNR-202L,DNS-345,DCS-933L,936L,960L and 8000LH.