• April 24, 2024, 03:05:29 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Author Topic: FIXED: Vista Home and DNS-323 issues.  (Read 7295 times)

Grimalkin

• Level 1 Member
FIXED: Vista Home and DNS-323 issues.
« on: December 05, 2008, 03:32:15 PM »

All - Let me preface this by announcing that I am a network engineer with almost 20 years of experience.  OK, now for my problem, the D-Link Tier 2 Techie drew a blank and referred me to here, I have a workgroup of four computers.  Three are loaded with WinXP Pro and the fourth is loaded with Vista Home.  The three XP boxes work like a charm when it comes to holding their drive mappings.  The Vista machine is a different story!  Initially, I can map the drives and access all the files just fine.  When I reboot the system that is the point where my problems begin.  It is not holding the drive mappings and I have to actually disconnect the drive and remap it to access the data stored on the DNS-323.

I do have a case number if any of the DNS-323 Engineers what to look up my case file: ALR399969268.  I've heard that the problem stems from the way Vista authenticates itself to the device but, unfortunately, I don't have the "secpol.msc" snap-in since the Home Premium version doesn't come with it!  Thanks in advance for any assistance that you can give!
« Last Edit: December 05, 2008, 08:49:58 PM by Grimalkin »

ttmcmurry

• Level 4 Member
Re: Vista Home and DNS-323 issues.
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2008, 03:40:34 PM »

Tell us about your Network Access settings on the 323.  Also, can you let us know what security products you're running on your Vista machine?  Is UAC still running?  What group is the user you're logging in as a member of? 

I'm using the DNS-323 on one laptop with Vista Business x64 SP1 and another laptop with XP Pro SP3.  Both machines are able access the drive simultaneously and without authentication errors.

My 323 setup is:
SMB Share: Volume_1
Path: Volume_1
User/Group:  ALL
Oplocks:  No
Archive:  No
R/W:  Read & Write

Basically on my setup, if you're allowed to join the network it runs under the assumption you should have access to the 323. 

Of course that wouldn't fly or be secure at all if I were at work, then again I'd never buy (or suggest any small/medium business buy) this for an AD domain.
« Last Edit: December 05, 2008, 03:48:27 PM by ttmcmurry »

Grimalkin

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2008, 03:59:49 PM »

Thanks for the response!  The UAC is turned off and I disabled all security products one I figured out the mapping were not going to hold.

My setup is just like yours with one exception.  I created a group for all my peeps, I will try the "All" thing and see how that works!

Grimalkin

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2008, 04:14:11 PM »

No luck with users vs groups.  I created a share from scratch just to test the theory out.  I guess I'll just have to wait for the Engineer to drop some words of wisdom!  Thanks for your help.

Grimalkin

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2008, 08:49:31 PM »

OK, here is the scoop.  I downgraded my firmware to v1.04 (more out of desperation than anything else) and much to my relief the mapped drives held after the Vista box was rebooted.  So I ungraded the firmware back to v1.05 and held my breath.  The mappings still were holding!

At first blush it would appear that when I originally upgraded the firmware it somehow was a corrupt load, although I don't understand how or why the WinXP Pro systems were able to successful reboot with their mapped drives intact.

Case closed!  ;D  I am now a happy camper!

medicmanonet

• Level 1 Member
Re: FIXED: Vista Home and DNS-323 issues.
« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2008, 04:06:21 AM »

Hi all,

this may or may not be relevant (I am using Vista 32bit ultimate): -

I had exactly the same problem, but it only manifested it self after a few weeks. I would loose the DNS mapping in windows - drive not accessable. If I pulled the network cable out of the PC and replaced it the DNS was now mapped and accessable.

Well eventually I figured out it was my AVG firewall and Antivirus. I had to make the DNS's IP address a 'safe' network in the firewall settings and hey bingo, no problems since.

Strange problem I know but hey its fixed...

Lee.K

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2008, 06:13:18 PM »

In case anyone else has a similar problem, a while back I kept losing my mappings so instead of banging my head against the wall, I just used a .vbs scripts (encode if you want for security with Windows Script Encoder) to remap upon booting up. Here's a sample that you can modify as desired...

Option Explicit
Dim objNetwork, strRemotePath1, strRemotePath2, strRemotePath3
Dim strDriveLetter1, strDriveLetter2, strDriveLetter3, strUser, strPassword, strProfile

strDriveLetter1 = "P:"
strDriveLetter2 = "Q:"
strDriveLetter3 = "R:"
strRemotePath1 = "\\dlink\dir1"
strRemotePath2 = "\\dlink\dir2"
strRemotePath3 = "\\dlink\dir3"
strUser = "putUserNamehere"
strPassword = "putPasswordhere"
strProfile = "false"

Set objNetwork = CreateObject("WScript.Network")

' Section which maps drives, P: , Q: and R:
objNetwork.MapNetworkDrive strDriveLetter1, strRemotePath1, strProfile, strUser, strPassword
objNetwork.MapNetworkDrive strDriveLetter2, strRemotePath2, strProfile, strUser, strPassword
objNetwork.MapNetworkDrive strDriveLetter3, strRemotePath3, strProfile, strUser, strPassword

' Extra code just to add a message box
' WScript.Echo "Map drives " & strDriveLetter1 & " & " & strDriveLetter2 & " & " & strDriveLetter3

Wscript.Quit

Grimalkin

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #7 on: December 08, 2008, 09:27:33 PM »

Gosh, Lee, what a simple, yet brilliant, solution!  Thank you for sharing!

ECF

• Administrator
  • Level 11 Member
« Reply #8 on: December 29, 2008, 11:43:43 AM »

Yeah, I see this issue alot and there always seems to be anti-virus software on the machine.
Never forget that only dead fish swim with the stream