• April 23, 2024, 10:48:38 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Author Topic: DNS-323 with USB supported DVD players?  (Read 4299 times)

hv

DNS-323 with USB supported DVD players?
« on: January 03, 2008, 12:06:11 PM »

Hi,

I have a Philips DVD Player (that can playback DivX/XviD) content and I was wondering if I can hook up the DNS-323 NAS box to this player via the USB port? If that works, I can avoid buying a network media player.

Best Regards,
HV

CurtisLing

Re: DNS-323 with USB supported DVD players?
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2008, 07:20:34 PM »

Best answer you'll get on these forums is "no".  Any other answer will be deleted.

Rara Avis

• Imperator
  • Level 2 Member
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2008, 10:03:11 AM »

And the reason that is the answer you will get is because it is absolutely true.

For firstsees there is no communication protocol which could allow such a communication to my knowledge.

For secondsees unless I missed something I have never seen a DVD drive that had anything but a Host type USB port, even if we wanted to have a DVD player capable of looking through a mass storage device for media (which is possible I guess) the DNS-323 also takes that Host mode and there is no way for it to switch from Host to Device based on what is connected.  Connecting 2 Host mode USB devices causes a fire usually (unless there is a special modem cable between the two [which is technically a Device mode device on both sides of the cable making an ugly chain]).  So you would have to choose in firmware between being able to connect USB drives and being able to connect your DVD player with chance of fire if they set it wrong!

For Thirdsees D-Link could make a new communication standard, however they would need DVD drive manufacturers to hop on the band wagon.
Nullum magnum ingenium sine mixtura dementiae fuit. - Seneca
There has never been a great genius without a element of madness.

ECF

• Administrator
  • Level 11 Member
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2008, 12:57:29 PM »

No, This is not a function of the DNS-323.
Never forget that only dead fish swim with the stream