• March 28, 2024, 01:58:37 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Author Topic: Virtual Server, Port Forwarding Not Working  (Read 8671 times)

Duff

• Level 1 Member
Virtual Server, Port Forwarding Not Working
« on: July 07, 2009, 07:47:25 PM »

Hello all, I'm eliciting assistance on these forums because Dlink Tech Support's only sent me canned responses and manual excerpt to my issue.  It appears that neither the Virtual Server or Port Forwarding feature is working on my DIR-855.  Details on my issue and network setup below.

DIR-855, Hardware version A2, Firmware 1.11
Cable modem -> DIR-855 -> QNAP NAS (wired), other clients are wireless

The NAS is set on a static IP (same subnet as the router) and I've tried setting up a Virtual Server to redirect HTTP (port 80) to the NAS.  In the Status/Internet Session log, I see the connection attempt as inbound established, but the web page is not served (simple HTML page that says hello world).  I've made this test by connecting to my work computer and surfing to my public IP address (and public IP/default.html), tried connecting via tethered Blackberry modem, and had a couple friends connect from their home DSL and cable connection.  All results are time outs but I see the session listed under Internet Sessions.

The same results are obtained when trying to set up Port Forwarding for port 80 (Virtual Server settings are blanked out, saved, router rebooted then Port Forward is set up and enabled/checked).

I've attempted changing the Advanced/Firewall Settings/NAT Endpoint Settings to every option with both Virtual Setting and Port Forwarding tests with no joy.

I even tried DMZ'ing the NAS with no success.

DynDNS's Open Port tool returns timed out when checking port 80 with all the various permutations above.

Could someone shed some light on this?  Am I doing something wrong or overlooking something?

Thank you.

mavericken

• Level 1 Member
Re: Virtual Server, Port Forwarding Not Working
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2009, 07:22:33 PM »

Well that proves that the 825 and 855 are the same at heart.  I came looking here to see if I could dig up any information on my 825 doing the same stuff.  I also bought a Zyxel once Buy.Com told me they would take back my 825.  The Zyxel has the same problem... and its also a gigabit lan N router.  This is very unfortunate, as it has ruined 2 days so far.  Unless Zyxel and D-Link are just the same chips in different packaging, I think that I would have to say that maybe all gigabit N devices were simply rushed to the market the moment you could load fetch googles main page with the laptop.

This is really sad, My D Link G router several years ago had a range twice that of all these new N routers, and as soon as you are at least 4 feet away from the router, the speed was faster.  That thing only set me back like $40... I really feel sorry for you especially with the "premium" 855.  I think there is light at the end of the tunnel, as some people claim they can use the port forwarding and DMZ.  Maybe just the hardware revisions we ended up with are simply physically incapable.  N technology is too new... it is not even as good as G yet.  It baffles me why simple features like port forwarding arent even tested before shipping out a batch of manufactured product.

lizzi555

• Level 5 Member
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2009, 02:31:54 AM »

Virtual Server and Portforwarding are working fine - at least with 855 (don't have the 825).

You may update firmware first to the latest version 1.12 (eu) or 1.20NA.
With both there are no issues with virtual server.

If the router reports connection as established, you may look at the IP settings of your NAS.
Gateway points to the router IP ?
DNS setting is also the router IP ?

My Synology DS needs to have the webserver enabled in its own menu.

nicceg

• Level 2 Member
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2009, 05:40:33 AM »

Works for me in 1.13 EU.

Lycan

• Administrator
  • Level 15 Member
« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2009, 09:43:30 AM »

What browser are you using to configure your 855? Also are you running any anti-virus/firewall software?

mfalto

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2009, 08:03:03 PM »

I am in the same boat...  Port forwarding/Virtual Server does not work at all.

I have Dir-825 ver:A1

I have tried 1.01, 1.11, 1.12 firmwares.  No dice.  Ive tried firefox and IE to set the router settings.  I also use the ESET Antivirus and software firewall (both of which i tried disabling).

im almost ready to return this router and not look back.

mfalto

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2009, 08:18:58 PM »

ok... some progress... i have just found out that i can successfully open port 80 on my box.  But not port 21.  It seems i have to unplug and replug the router to force it to load the new forwarding rules.  Even then it only forwards port 80, not 21.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2009, 08:49:05 PM by mfalto »

DIR-855 :-(

• Level 2 Member
« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2009, 07:33:04 PM »

I have had a similar problem with forwarding port 443 (SSL) and had to revert to firmware Rectum v1.20

Duff, I have a QNAP 239pro and since we have a similar configuration can you try the following (with 1.20):
  • Enable DynamicDNS and see if this Lame Router disables this feature after a few days?
  • Enable Remote Management with HTTPS. (I think it makes it port 8181) Forward SSL port 443 to your QNAP NAS and enable SSL on it. Then access the router and the NAS from a WAN location. Try to do it behind a Corporate Proxy server. I find that the QNAP works but the this LAME router doesn't.
« Last Edit: August 23, 2009, 07:44:57 PM by whoisnader »