• April 16, 2024, 02:53:49 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Why!?!? (v1.30) No "B" and no "downgrade"????  (Read 14373 times)

teknomedic

• Level 1 Member
Re: Why!?!? (v1.30) No "B" and no "downgrade"????
« Reply #15 on: April 27, 2009, 03:24:11 AM »

Sure 90% is a high number and probably not correct, but to say that you "KNOW" that not many people use "B" anymore is a very short sighted and ignorant.  :P   I would think that all the complaints on these boards alone would make you think twice about such a statement.

Did you even consider for a moment that MAYBE... just MAYBE, I had gone through the phone support options BEFORE searching out the message boards... and MAYBE, just MAYBE.... I had not read anything about all the issues until after my update from phone support???  ::)

EddieZ... I've only been here a short time, but I can already tell you're a bully and try to conform the boards to your will.  Are you bucking for a mod position or something?  I certainly hope you never get one because this board would be nothing but threads you agree with.  Why don't you just start your own boards where you can enjoy the threads you start and agree with yourself in.  :P

EddieZ

• Level 10 Member
« Reply #16 on: April 27, 2009, 03:59:11 AM »

You're taking it very personal. Watch the bloodpressure and dry your tears, my little troll.  ;)

« Last Edit: April 27, 2009, 04:01:42 AM by EddieZ »
DIR-655 H/W: A2 FW: 1.33

teknomedic

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #17 on: April 27, 2009, 04:13:32 AM »

I'm not taking anything personal.  I'm just telling you what I've observed in the short time I've been here.  Anytime someone has an opposing view point you start whining and complaining about it... THEN, when it's clear you're in the wrong you threaten to have threads locked and posts removed.

davevt31

• Level 9 Member
« Reply #18 on: April 27, 2009, 04:46:58 AM »

EddieZ has no power to lock threads or remove posts, thats up to the DLink Forum admins.  Also I don't remember and posts ever being removed unless they violated the terms of the forum.

In the long run eveyone is forgetting one thing, this whole router experience with the DIR-655 is one big beta test.  The N spec for wireless is still in a draft form and will probably not be totally finalized until the first part of 2010.  So expect more changes to come down the road.

EddieZ

• Level 10 Member
« Reply #19 on: April 27, 2009, 05:48:20 AM »

EddieZ has no power to lock threads or remove posts, thats up to the DLink Forum admins.  Also I don't remember and posts ever being removed unless they violated the terms of the forum.

In the long run eveyone is forgetting one thing, this whole router experience with the DIR-655 is one big beta test.  The N spec for wireless is still in a draft form and will probably not be totally finalized until the first part of 2010.  So expect more changes to come down the road.

And threads are closed when their usefulness has ended. There are plenty useful posts that address this issue and if you think a personal outcry contributes to other users...be my guest and add to those. But you will find that all your words have be written down numerous times already, which does question the added value.
DIR-655 H/W: A2 FW: 1.33

teknomedic

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #20 on: April 27, 2009, 07:25:05 AM »

It's just a conversation, and the value of the written words is in the eye of the beholder.  Maybe if there's such a huge issue with the DIR-655 and the v1.30 firmware maybe a full discussion about all the issues should be made a sticky so new people like myself can easily find the topic and we can have one place to vent and discuss.  As you say all my words have been written down numerous times before so there's an obvious issue that many of people here seem eager to discuss.

After I joined I tried a couple of searches to see if my topic had been talked about and I didn't find anything so I started one.  I'm sure it's a combination of my search and the search engine that nothing came up.

I also know that EddieZ has no power to just lock a thread, but I'm quickly growing tired of his threats of reporting posts and threads to mods to request they be locked or removed.  I fail to see why EddieZ feels the need to police the boards and be a snitch.  We all like clean boards and all replies to be 100% on topic, but that's never happened on any board I've seen yet.  Conversations evolve as subjects and ideas are put forth.  This being "my" thread... I have no issues that the topics have moved away from my original post and find the current conversations interesting and dare I say.... useful.

I fully understood the concept of "Draft N" and of course figured on changes to the "N Spec" (as well as more to come).  What I did not expect was the removal of the "B spec" from a device that states it fully supported the "B spec" on the box when I bought it.  If D-Link wishes to remove the "B" from new revisions of the hardware so be it, but my "A3" hardware fully supports the spec and disabling it by an firmware "upgrade" is uncalled for.  I certainly wouldn't expect buying new tires for my car would remove the cruise control. 

Lastly, from my perspective it's unclear if the v1.30 firmware is beta or not.  I've seen discussions where D-Link tech support says "the v1.30 firmware is official and NOT a beta" AND "v1.30 was not ready for release and is to be considered a beta".

Fatman

• Level 9 Member
« Reply #21 on: April 27, 2009, 08:38:01 AM »

Well I can sooth your worries, EddieZ will never be a mod or directly have any of the powers you are discussing, all the mods are, as stated, on the payroll.  Which is also why this debate could rage stupidly all weekend, without someone coming in and doing this.

I understand your upset about the 1.30 fiasco, as you have been told a new firmware is on the way restoring IEEE 802.11b.

What do you hope to accomplish here, or what do you want out of this?

It doesn't bother me if you all act nasty at each other all day, but it tends to offend the sensibilities of those that sign my pay checks.  As such unless we have a more meaningful line of discussion than which analogy is better I see no reason to leave this open.

As far as I can tell the original post has been answered and discussed to conclusion and all that remains is a certain amount of an ego battle between certain parties.  Prove me wrong, what remains unanswered?
non progredi est regredi

Azuse

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #22 on: April 27, 2009, 09:58:24 AM »

This article, http://www.smallnetbuilder.com/content/view/30798/100/, says it all really. Everything except reminding people that are actually responsible for their problems (ones who actually decided the rest of the world, literally, as wrong) are not necessarily the ones being vented at, those are mostly just people who have to handle the fallout.

lotacus

• Level 4 Member
« Reply #23 on: April 27, 2009, 10:36:26 AM »

Awe I expected a little more professional insult from fatman! Lol

Fatman

• Level 9 Member
« Reply #24 on: April 27, 2009, 10:39:22 AM »

That was a fairly amusing read, most of his information is a good read if nothing else, however it is worth noting that the reason it is not downgradable has been covered elsewhere.

The other fixes requires a major OS version change, which is a one way path on this platform.  Posting a one way firmware has never been unusual for this product.

The implication that we are trying to force someone's hand by not offering them product support (new code) unless they remove b is plain false.  As has also been stated repeatedly, there will be a IEEE802.11b (and still non-downgradable AFAIK) code available in the near future.

Anyone else have any closing words or unanswered questions?

P.S. Sorry to let you down lotacus, I didn't really feel this thread rated my A game, especially not at 0800 on a Monday morning.
non progredi est regredi

davevt31

• Level 9 Member
« Reply #25 on: April 27, 2009, 11:08:49 AM »

Yea, Fatman saves his best stuff for his fellow Mac users  ;D

Fatman

• Level 9 Member
« Reply #26 on: April 27, 2009, 12:25:40 PM »

Why is is that in the one thread I attempt to not be an utterly derisive and vitriolic my reputation has preceded me?

One more reply that doesn't address a new concern and I am locking this up.
non progredi est regredi

sandman

• Level 2 Member
« Reply #27 on: April 27, 2009, 02:30:02 PM »

Why is is that in the one thread I attempt to not be an utterly derisive and vitriolic my reputation has preceded me?

One more reply that doesn't address a new concern and I am locking this up.

Fatman,regarding the final releases of 1.30, can you tell me if there are still some tweaks to be done, or is it just held in Beta until 1.31 is ready for release?

I ask because, as a Mac user, I have followed the Shareport issues - it seemed for a while that that this was down to printer drivers, but now another thread has someone having problems using a Memory stick as back up.
ASUS RT-N56U
"I Love Deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by."
               Douglas Adams

Fatman

• Level 9 Member
« Reply #28 on: April 27, 2009, 02:35:20 PM »

I have no information as to features tweaks and home class firmware.  The only reason I am even in this board is because I have this dream of one day helping someone.

As for mac Shareport issues, there is another thread for this (at least 2 come to mind that I am  participating in right now).  I have not had problems in my limited testing, and I know of no in house test that have had issues, that said testing Mac issues in house is not our top priority (sorry guys the numbers don't lie was are at best 10% of the market).

Given our only direction was away from topic I am locking this thread, feel free to PM me teknomedic if you have some valid discussion you want me to re-open the thread for.
non progredi est regredi
Pages: 1 [2]