• April 25, 2024, 02:13:24 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Author Topic: Please help me set up my DNS-323 as ftp server behind the 655 router  (Read 28527 times)

cailia

• Level 1 Member

Hi,

I've been reading posts and manuals until my eyes started to bleed. I might as well be reading the Dead Sea Scrolls in ancient script.

In our office we have a DNS-323 storage drive that is accesses by four computers. We used to be able to access it via ftp, but there was a power surge that fried the unit and we subsequently replaced it with a new one.

Now we can't access by ftp.

I tried the settings on the 323, but after reading all these posts, I was led to believe it is a router problem. However, I don't see any changes at all on the router config panel.

All I want is to be able to access these files by ftp -- just like it says on the box. I even bought the setup that was used as an example on the box so it would be easy. But it's not.

Please help.

fordem

• Level 10 Member
Re: Please help me set up my DNS-323 as ftp server behind the 655 router
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2010, 04:48:54 AM »

Setting up a server can be challenging to the inexperienced, and setting up an ftp server even more so - but it's really not that difficult, once you understand what's required.

To make things easier we are going to do this in two distinctly separate steps, one being to get the ftp server up and running with local access, and the second will be to make it available over the internet - assuming that is a requirement, and by the way, if it is not, then the router has nothing to do with your troubles.

First - for any server - you need to be able to find it - which means an ip address that does not change randomly.  You can either create a DHCP reservation (on the DIR655) for the DNS-323, so that the DIR655 will always give it the same address, or, you can give the DNS-323 a static ip address.

Personally I prefer the static address - the DIR655, by default, allows addresses in the 192.168.0.2~192.168.0.99 for static use, pick one and set it in the DNS-323 LAN settings.  Make sure you set gateway & DNS entries - assuming the DIR655 is still at the default these will be 192.168.0.1.

Next - configure the ftp server itself and test.

On the DNS-323, create the users and give them passwords, and then in the ftp server setup, give them read or read/write access as required.

Now attempt to access the ftp server, at the ip address you gave it, from a system on the network, using your ftp client, and the username & passwords you set.

I'll pause here for you to complete this first step and tell me where you need help.

By the way - who set up the first DNS-323 - the one that got damaged?
RAID1 is for disk redundancy - NOT data backup - don't confuse the two.

cailia

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2010, 04:02:25 PM »

Thank you very much for your help. It is much more clear than anything else I've read.

I can access via ftp on our network, but no such luck when trying from outside.

A student last summer set everything up and I can't track him down. Just my luck. But it worked fine.

Thanks again. Looking forward to your next installment.

gunrunnerjohn

• Level 11 Member
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2010, 05:11:26 PM »

Here's a guide to port forwarding for FTP on your router: http://www.portforward.com/english/routers/port_forwarding/Dlink/DIR-655/FTP.htm

You will want the DNS-323 assigned a static IP address.
Microsoft MVP - Windows Desktop Experience
Remember: Data you don't have two copies of is data you don't care about!
PS: RAID of any level is NOT a second copy.

fordem

• Level 10 Member
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2010, 07:00:50 PM »

OK - ftp access from the internet is a little more challenging than from across the LAN, but taken one step at a time, it's not too difficult.

As before, the first step is going to be finding the server.  This time, it's not going to be as easy as setting a static ip address - at least not for most of us, simply because we don't have the luxury of a static address.

The easiest way to deal with this is through the use of a dynamic DNS server, such as DynDNS - this allows us to use a URL (a Universal Resource Locater - or in english - a name) to point to our changing ip address.  There is a possibility that this has already been setup for you by that student - so you need to let me know how you were accessing the old ftp server - if there was a previous DynDNS account it may still be working, depending on how it was being updated - it may have been done from the router (which is my preference), but it can also be done on the DNS-323, so that is some something we might need to look at.

The second step is to "forward" port 21 to your ftp server - a little explanation is in order here.

Your router/firewall, by default, allows all outgoing connections, and keeps track of them, so when it sees data coming in from the internet, it can match the incoming data to an outgoing request and knows which computer on the network to send the data to.  If there was no outgoing connection, when it sees incoming data traffic, it has no idea where to send it, and so it discards it.

For your ftp server to be accessible from the internet, you have to tell the router to forward all incoming traffic on port 21 to the ip address you set on the DNS-323 (this is where that link that gunrunnerjohn provided will come in handy).  There may be an old port forwarding entry from the previous ftp server setup - just go ahead & delete it and then create the new one, you'll know if its for ftp because it will use port 21, which is the default ftp port.

Now - once you have forwarded the port, you need to test access from the internet - it should work at this point, but you need to check it from OUTSIDE of the network to be really certain.

So - what you're going to do for me now is tell me, if you know, what the URL you were using to access the old ftp server was - and we will check that to see if it's still working, and you will set up the port forwarding on the router.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2010, 07:02:46 PM by fordem »

cailia

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2010, 07:14:26 AM »

Hi,

Thanks again for your help and patience.

We have a dynamic name (?) as per our account with dLink. We have a host name and an IP address. This was apparantly set up in the router, but once again, I don't know where or how.

It does show up in the DDNS section of the DNS-323 Tools bar.

I tried to test it from Filezilla and it does not work. The message says it is "waiting for welcome" and then says "could not connect".

fordem

• Level 10 Member
« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2010, 09:20:00 AM »

If you're seeing entries in the DNS-323's TOOLS/DDNS area then that is where the DDNS is being updated - you also need to check the router's port foward (or virtual server) settings to be certain that you are forwarding port 21 to the DNS-323's ip address.

Failure to get access to an ftp server from the internet can result from incorrect settings on both the ftp server side of things (the ftp server and/or the router, although I'd like to think that we have covered all the server settings), or the ftp client side of things (the router and/or the actual client computer & software)

I would suggest you send me a PM with the dynamic name and a username & password - this way I can eliminate the client side as a problem (I know my end works ;) )

fordem

• Level 10 Member
« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2010, 11:24:49 AM »

Your ftp server IS up & running - check your PM.

DjBeowolf

• Level 1 Member

Hey i have the same problem, although im on a cg 3100 router from netgear.

I have set in the router so the dns 323 always is on 192.168.0.17.

the dns 323 is set to dhcp client, thought it didnt need to to use static as it's always at 192.168.0.17 from the router.

the dns 1 and 2 settings has 2 ip adresses that the router report, not 192.168.0.1, dont know if this is wrong or anything.

anyway i have setup an account in the ftp settings, with file read etc etc.
and forwarded port 21 in the router.

when i try to ftp://192.168.0.17    or ftp://knasen   (knasen is the device name) it works perfectly fine, so locally no problem at all.

but when trying remotely it won't work.

I have also setup ddns, as i have an dynamic ip.
I have ddns function in router and dns 323.
I have tried on both and both report the routers wan ip. (so it seems to be working there.)

so i try to access that ftp://XXXXXXXX.xxx.xxx  but with no luck
I even tried ftp://XXXXXXX.xxx.xxx/21  still no luck.

Although it comes a login place. but it just loads all the time with no results.

please help me.

DjBeowolf

• Level 1 Member

never mind it worked just fine.

didnt know that u needed to be on another network to get the wan ip to work. works with ddns now also.

But one thing i still need to know, how can i connect to the dns 323 remoteley for changing settings, using apps like bittorrent?

gunrunnerjohn

• Level 11 Member
« Reply #10 on: May 13, 2010, 05:16:50 AM »

You just need to to port forward to the DNS-323 address, so it's going to have to be at a static IP address on your network.  In addition, you'll probably have to do port translation using something like NO-IP or DynDNS because most ISP's block port 80.
Microsoft MVP - Windows Desktop Experience
Remember: Data you don't have two copies of is data you don't care about!
PS: RAID of any level is NOT a second copy.

velocci

• Level 2 Member
« Reply #11 on: October 24, 2011, 08:47:17 AM »

Hi all, lets say my external IP address of my router is 123.123.123.123 and i'm using port 1234 on my router for port forwarding, should this work?  and what do I type in my IE browser to be able to see my nas?

port= 1234
Passive Mode=  "use the following port range": 1234 ~ 1235
Report external IP in Passive mode = External IP: 123.123.123.123

hairymexican

• Level 2 Member
« Reply #12 on: September 23, 2013, 04:13:19 PM »

Setting up a server can be challenging to the inexperienced, and setting up an ftp server even more so - but it's really not that difficult, once you understand what's required.

To make things easier we are going to do this in two distinctly separate steps, one being to get the ftp server up and running with local access, and the second will be to make it available over the internet - assuming that is a requirement, and by the way, if it is not, then the router has nothing to do with your troubles.

First - for any server - you need to be able to find it - which means an ip address that does not change randomly.  You can either create a DHCP reservation (on the DIR655) for the DNS-323, so that the DIR655 will always give it the same address, or, you can give the DNS-323 a static ip address.

Personally I prefer the static address - the DIR655, by default, allows addresses in the 192.168.0.2~192.168.0.99 for static use, pick one and set it in the DNS-323 LAN settings.  Make sure you set gateway & DNS entries - assuming the DIR655 is still at the default these will be 192.168.0.1.

Next - configure the ftp server itself and test.

On the DNS-323, create the users and give them passwords, and then in the ftp server setup, give them read or read/write access as required.

Now attempt to access the ftp server, at the ip address you gave it, from a system on the network, using your ftp client, and the username & passwords you set.

I'll pause here for you to complete this first step and tell me where you need help.

By the way - who set up the first DNS-323 - the one that got damaged?

I am no longer able to see my server with google chrome

fordem

• Level 10 Member
« Reply #13 on: September 24, 2013, 05:06:39 AM »

Are you trying to connect from within the LAN?
In not, do so as the first step - you need to make sure the server is accessible.
If you are, make sure you're using the correct ip address - can you access the NAS at all?

hairymexican

• Level 2 Member
« Reply #14 on: September 26, 2013, 04:28:37 PM »

Are you trying to connect from within the LAN?
In not, do so as the first step - you need to make sure the server is accessible.
If you are, make sure you're using the correct ip address - can you access the NAS at all?

ftp://72.178.136.175:1025/ is the address, the issue is that when i go to ftp://72.178.136.175:1025/ it asks for username and pass and i enter then all the browers tell me this page cannot be displayed. I cannot view the ftp server through the web browser now, Internet explorer, Chrome nor do i know how to use filezilla with this, I would be somewhat happy if i knew how to use this with filezilla but I really like using the internet browswer Chrome.  I have full access by lan but not by wan.  I am using an asus router.

Username Help
password 12345
« Last Edit: September 26, 2013, 04:34:32 PM by hairymexican »