• June 02, 2024, 03:10:12 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Author Topic: [Solved] Cannot get this to work with Windows 7 64 bit  (Read 17894 times)

aharding

• Level 1 Member
[Solved] Cannot get this to work with Windows 7 64 bit
« on: February 06, 2010, 03:15:38 PM »

I bought this adapter today and no matter what I try I cannot get it working properly on Windows 7 64 bit. The driver installs successfully and device manager says the driver is working correctly but under network adapters it will not allow me to enable the connection and the connection manager software that came with it crashes any time I try to load it. I click enable and it says it is enabling but it never does.

If I cannot get this working I will be returning it and will not be impressed because it is a heck of a walk back to Best Buy. I tried downloading the most recent drivers from this site and it still hasnt done anything different. I never had a negative experience with a D-Link product until this.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2010, 06:35:23 PM by aharding »

aharding

• Level 1 Member
Re: Cannot get this to work with Windows 7 64 bit
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2010, 03:53:29 PM »

I tried this on another computer with a different OS and experienced the exact same problems. When you try and run the connection wizard it says the device cannot be found despite it showing up in device manager. Is there something I am missing here or is this just a really bad hardware/software configuration?

On this other computer the connection manager also crashes upon startup. I am finding this very strange and frustrating.

aharding

• Level 1 Member
Re: Cannot get this to work with Windows 7 64 bit
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2010, 06:34:31 PM »

alright by searching other help threads I believe I have solved the problem and have gotten this adapter working finally but it was a pain in the behind. It seems Kaspersky was interfering on this computer (dont know what the issue was on the other computer). To fix this I unchecked the kaspersky filter in the device properties menu. This allowed me to connect to another network but I still had no internet connectivity.
In order to get the internet to work correctly I had to manually set the DNS server because the device seemed to have issues detecting it automatically. All in all I should not have had to do so much work just to get this thing working but now that it is working it works great.
I hope my experience can help other users with their troubleshooting as d-link appears to be providing no direct support.

hateMS

• Level 1 Member
Re: [Solved] Cannot get this to work with Windows 7 64 bit
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2010, 12:19:32 PM »

PART OF THE PROBLEM:

KASPERSKY users need to disable the program while they are installing the new drivers.

ALSO, they must DISABLE the NDIS Filter block that Kaspersky automatically defaults to all network devices.

do this by going to:
Control Panel
Network and Internet
Network Connections

Disable the built in modem (typically Realtek PCI), ENABLE the DWA-125

THEN

From there,  right click the D-link DWA-125 , select properties.

From the popup box, UNCLICK the KASPERSKY ANTI_VIRUS NDIS 6 FILTER

Click ok.

From there, the DWA-125 was able to find the networks in my neighborhood.  Full install not yet finished, but wanted to get this out there in plainer terms

« Last Edit: March 02, 2010, 12:36:13 PM by hateMS »

hateMS

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2010, 01:10:44 PM »

After you get the device to work properly, you should RE-CHECK the Kasperky NDIS option, so that there is no vulnerability with the anti-virus program.

khaj_vah

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2010, 08:06:13 AM »

f*** u kaspersky antivirus i was trying to install driver 3 hours and didnt work bc of that s***ty antivirus.