• March 28, 2024, 07:12:31 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Compatibility Settings  (Read 15042 times)

jpm67

• Level 1 Member
Compatibility Settings
« on: September 03, 2009, 04:06:16 PM »

Here are some changes to make if you are having difficulty with wireless disconnects, video streaming problems, reboots, etc.

Updated operating system files and network card drivers are important. Go to www.windowsupdate.com and download and install all available updates. Reboot and do it again until no more updates are available. In particular, look for available network card drivers and check those in the hardware section.

Make these settings on the router

Under Advanced --> QOS engine --> QOS engine setup
Uncheck "Dynamic Fragmentation"
http://forums.dlink.com/index.php?action=search2;params=&search="Dynamic%20Fragmentation"

Advanced --> Firewall Settings
Uncheck "Enable anti-spoof checking"

Under Advanced --> Advanced Wireless -->Advanced Wireless Settings:
Uncheck "Short GI"
http://forums.dlink.com/index.php?action=search2;params=&search="Short%20GI"

Under Advanced --> Secure Spot
Uncheck "Enable Securespot services"
http://forums.dlink.com/index.php?action=search2;params=&search="Securespot%20services"

Under Setup --> Internet --> Manual Internet Connection Setup:
Uncheck "Enable Advanced DNS Service"
http://forums.dlink.com/index.php?action=search2;params=&search="Advanced%20DNS%20Service"

Under Setup --> Network Settings --> Router Settings:
Uncheck "Enable DNS Relay"
http://forums.dlink.com/index.php?action=search2;params=&search="dns%20relay"

Under Setup --> Network Settings --> DHCP Server Settings:
Check "Always Broadcast"
http://forums.dlink.com/index.php?action=search2;params=&search="Always%20Broadcast"

Under Setup --> USB Settings:
Set "My USB type" to WCN Configuration
http://forums.dlink.com/index.php?action=search2;params=&search="shareport"

Under Setup --> Wireless Settings --> Manual Wireless Network Setup:
Set 802.11 Mode to Mixed n,g,b
Check "Enable Auto Channel Scan"
Set "Transmission rate" to Best (automatic)
Set "channel width" to 20
Set "Visibility Status" to visible

Be sure to reboot your router, then all of your clients after making these changes.

If these settings fix your problem you can undo the changes one by one until it breaks to determine which one is causing your problem.
« Last Edit: September 12, 2009, 01:57:27 PM by jpm67 »

davevt31

• Level 9 Member
Re: Compatibility Settings
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2009, 07:41:06 PM »

I would suggest NOT using Windows Update for hardware drivers.  Go straight to the manufacturer to get the latest drivers.

Sammydad1

• Level 5 Member
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2009, 10:41:29 PM »

Hi,

The USB item can vary based on your use...  I have mine set to use a USB printer...."Network USB"

I have my channel set to specific one.... My thinking is that anything that might cause the router to change channels (other than a reboot) would likely cause a disconnect to the wireless clients.

I have my Visibility Status set to be invisible....makes it that much harder for anybody to try and connect that isn't allowed,....

I have Router QOS engine turned off....

In fact if you are trying to diagnose wireless disconnects....turn everything off that might affect your wireless signals and clients.....  See if you can be stable in a wide open mode of operation..... .11G only...etc....  Then add stuff back one at a time,...if you have to take the slow route....do so.

Try to get stable on pure .11G if you can....  Then go about adding any .11N stuff....

DIR-655 A2, FW: 1.35NA

bigeyes0x0

• Level 3 Member
« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2009, 06:50:35 AM »

@OP: I want some back up for your ideas of what to turn off. For example, why turning of Dynamic Fragmentation, is that enough or turning off QoS entirely better? Issue with WPS, I haven't heard too. So give some reason please so ppl can check what is the most likely culprit for their unstable DIR-655.

jpm67

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2009, 09:08:14 AM »

@OP: I want some back up for your ideas of what to turn off. For example, why turning of Dynamic Fragmentation, is that enough or turning off QoS entirely better? Issue with WPS, I haven't heard too. So give some reason please so ppl can check what is the most likely culprit for their unstable DIR-655.

Turning of Dynamic Fragmentation fixed some streaming issues I was having with XBMC. It's better than losing the QOS feature entirely.

I removed the WPS recommendation.

These are just a few quick fixes I have discovered to correct problems I have had, and a few others I noticed many people using.
« Last Edit: September 04, 2009, 09:32:41 AM by jpm67 »

jpm67

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2009, 09:31:37 AM »

I have my channel set to specific one.... My thinking is that anything that might cause the router to change channels (other than a reboot) would likely cause a disconnect to the wireless clients.

In a neighborhood with several close APs, this will eliminate some interference issues by automatically finding the channel with the least interference. I think many APs choose the channel on boot, so random disconnects are unlikely due to a channel change. Anyone know how automatic channel selection works on the DIR-655?

I have my Visibility Status set to be invisible....makes it that much harder for anybody to try and connect that isn't allowed,.....

An invisible SSID really provides very little security protection. You're better off leaving visibility on and using WPA or preferably WPA2 for security. Some wireless clients don't handle a hidden SSID well.

I have Router QOS engine turned off.....

I originally turned QOS off too, but discovered the problem I was having was with Dynamic Fragmentation.

« Last Edit: September 04, 2009, 09:34:41 AM by jpm67 »

KevTech

« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2009, 08:46:07 PM »

An invisible SSID really provides very little security protection. You're better off leaving visibility on and using WPA or preferably WPA2 for security. Some wireless clients don't handle a hidden SSID well.

I setup all wireless manually with static IP's and never have a problem with any of them.
Clients do not need to "see" the SSID if it is already in their configuration.

bigeyes0x0

• Level 3 Member
« Reply #7 on: September 04, 2009, 08:49:44 PM »

IMO you should add your experience and a short description to the first post, as I said it would help ppl to debug.
I wanna add a few things:
 - Checking Advanced DNS Service is like typing other DNS servers into the DNS server list instead of using the default ones assign by your ISP or whatever running the DHCP server upstream. So unchecking this only solves your DNS issue not the router unstability.
 - SecureSpot: I don't think it has anything to do with this router stability but it's an unnecessary feature to a lot of ppl, myself included so I uncheck it.
 - ShortGI: uncheck this of your environment is noisy, read the included help in the router web interface.
 - Switch USB port to WCN Configuration: I do this too, I don't use Shareport and never will, it's a flawed concept, and can cause stability according to threads on this forum. (Additional stuff: The latest IpOS, the core of this router firmware, has support for SMB/CIFS, if it is included instead of Shareport I'm all for it but I guess at that time I will hate the speed, my self built NAS runs at 100MB/s peak (without cache effect) on my gigabit network).
 - DNS Relay: this is mixed bag, it has worked for a lot of ppl and has a sticky thread for it, for me it made my line slow down a lot, don't know why, your mileage may vary.
 - NTP time server: I had problem with this feature when I use certain NTP servers on 1.31/1.32NA firmware, it cause the router to constantly resetting after synchronize with the NTP server. You may either find a compatible server, use the Dlink one or disable it.

bigeyes0x0

• Level 3 Member
« Reply #8 on: September 04, 2009, 08:59:58 PM »

I setup all wireless manually with static IP's and never have a problem with any of them.

Well it might make brute force attack a little harder (add another step) to guess the SSID but not impossible, in fact if you use WPA, we over here, some staff at a CSE faculty at a university, can crack it in one or two hours (depending on network traffic) without using brute force attack. It has a way. The recommended method to secure wireless network is WPA2 with AES with suitable long pass-phrase (haven't found a way to crack this without brute force). I use a 63 long key which you can get from https://www.grc.com/passwords.htm and use WPS with PIN to register clients.
« Last Edit: September 04, 2009, 09:52:06 PM by bigeyes0x0 »

jpm67

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #9 on: September 05, 2009, 10:31:58 AM »

I run a wireless network of over a hundred access points. Because it is a college, the wireless clients range from one end of the spectrum to the other, various laptops, netbooks, cell phones, PDAs, PSP, etc. One of the biggest problems I have had was finding settings that would allow everyone to connect. I started out with hidden SSID and eventually changed to a broadcast SSID in order to allow certain clients to connect. Hiding has very little security benefit and causes problems for some.

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=hidden+ssid+problem&start=10&sa=N
« Last Edit: September 05, 2009, 10:57:28 AM by jpm67 »

KevTech

« Reply #10 on: September 05, 2009, 11:20:05 AM »

I use a 63 long key which you can get from https://www.grc.com/passwords.htm and use WPS with PIN to register clients.

I use KeyPass to create better passwords than you can at the GRC site as you can specify what elements are in the password. This also allows me to have a list of what key(s) (and what it is) goes to what router(s).

Hiding has very little security benefit and causes problems for some.
I don't hide it for security but to reduce the number of "hits" on the network.

rekd0514

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #11 on: September 06, 2009, 01:11:54 PM »

I have had my router stable on 1.31NA for about 3 days now after tweaking setting mentioned in various threads. For me it seemed like 1.31 is better than 1.32. Does anyone else think the same?

Now I really just need them to solve the throughput and signal on the router. They are obviously not as good on these firmwares. I have seen anywhere from 54-162mbps on an all wireless N network. It is mostly hovering around 108-162mbps as of now. I have only seen ~2mb/s max in vista over the network. What did you all see and what are you seeing now on the new firmwares?

bigeyes0x0

• Level 3 Member
« Reply #12 on: September 06, 2009, 06:45:07 PM »

Well that depends on your environment and the luck you get with quality of your wireless client and router I guess. With my DIR-655 and the DWA-140 client. I got highest 14-16 MB/s with Vista file copying over network, but it was like a one time thing only, in fact that was yesterday. It has a problem when it is that fast though. It seems like the DIR-655 is overwhelmed and I can't surf the net with torrent on at the same time when wireless speed is that fast. If I turn off torrent, it works but quite slowly. Typically I get around 8-12MB/s

Sammydad1

• Level 5 Member
« Reply #13 on: September 06, 2009, 08:50:45 PM »

Bigeyes...

Sorry to be the grammar police, but you said 12-14 MBps (MegaBytes per second)....did you mean MBps or Mbps (megabits per second) ??

If you mean MegaBytes, then that really so bad over a network, as it translates to 92 Mbps+ (approx)... Which is well past normal real world .11G speeds (approx 18 Mbps+) and is right in the approx 1/3 of advertised speed of .11N (300 Mbps / 3 = 100 Mbps) for a real world scenario, at least as I have seen wireless play out over the past number of years.

SD1
DIR-655 A2, FW: 1.35NA

bigeyes0x0

• Level 3 Member
« Reply #14 on: September 06, 2009, 10:40:58 PM »

According to international standard (JEDEC) MB is Megabyte (or 1048576 bytes not 1000000bytes in SI) and Mb is Megabit. The correct notation I should use is IEC 60027-2 MiBps or MiB/s, but I use Windows notation.

I'm in N mode for these number. WPA2 with AES encryption. And what you see is standard .11N network speed, not worse or better. 300Mbps is only advertised speed.
Pages: [1] 2