• April 19, 2024, 05:13:10 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Author Topic: Adding 2d Drive  (Read 8218 times)

samunro

Adding 2d Drive
« on: November 04, 2008, 11:42:45 PM »

I've been running my DNS-323 with a single drive.  Today I'v ben trying to add a second drive with no luck. I'm running Vista 32 with firmware 1.05. Any ideas/suggestions? Also I can't seem to log on to configuration in Easy Search 4.2.0. Again any suggestions? Thanks.

joe_ottawa

• Level 2 Member
Re: Adding 2d Drive
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2008, 08:49:30 AM »

If you only have one HDD to use, then by default you should have it installed in the right bay, but since the installation guide doesn’t note this so most people will install the HDD in the left bay. Then comes the problem for adding a new HDD, if you install the new drive in the right bay while the exciting one still in the left, you will not see the files stored on the exciting HDD, and you won’t be able to install Bit Torrent and you will have to format both drives. Here go the 2 scenarios as I ran in the same problem before;

If the first drive was placed in the right bay of the DNS;
Backup all your files and data from that drive first. you will never know
Make sure to install the Bit Torrent on this HDD before you add the second HDD, that if you are planning to use this feature.
Power off the DNS   
Add the new HDD and power on
Log to the configuration page and format the new HDD
Run the easy search application and map the new drives
You’re done   

If the first drive was placed in the left bay;
Backup all your files and data from that drive first.
Power off the DNS and remove the First HDD from the left bay and place it in the right bay.
Power on again and log in the web based configuration page and see if the DNS will recognize the existing files (most likely will not) then you will need to perform format on this HDD. Now that you backed up your file, you can format the drive
Make sure to install the Bit Torrent after you finish formatting and before you add the second HDD, that if you are planning to use this feature.
Power off the DNS   
Add the new HDD and power on
Log to the configuration page and format the new HDD
Run the easy search application and map the new drives
copy your backup files back on the DNS
Your done

yo_adrian_eh

« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2008, 06:07:00 AM »

I've been seeing a *lot* of activity on one of my drives (the primary drive) and I've been thinking of formatting them and starting again from scratch. Anyway, I've poked around and can't see this info anywhere, which drive bay is considered RHS? and LHS? are we talking about when the unit is facing you (as I presume)? or from the back..?

bigclaw

• Level 2 Member
« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2008, 06:53:22 AM »

I've been seeing a *lot* of activity on one of my drives (the primary drive) and I've been thinking of formatting them and starting again from scratch. Anyway, I've poked around and can't see this info anywhere, which drive bay is considered RHS? and LHS? are we talking about when the unit is facing you (as I presume)? or from the back..?

As the unit is facing you.

joe_ottawa

• Level 2 Member
« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2008, 10:56:43 AM »

it is briefly mentioned on the DNS FAQ page under "Why can´t I see my files, on the first drive, after adding a second drive? " http://support.dlink.ca/faq/view.asp?prod_id=2531&question=DNS-323%20/%20DNS-321 , off course i didn't know it till I ran in the same problem, and it was a little too late so i had to reformat both drives and start all over, it was the easiest to do instead of spending hours searching for more solutions, what can i say.. sometimes i blame myself for not reading the Quick Install Guide but this time i did read it and it wasn't there. Actually the Quick Install Guide shows installing the HDD in the left bay by default, which i think makes any one see it to do the same, then they get hit with the problem when adding additional HDD. BTW even the online updated version of the Quick Install Guide have the same pictures.

bigclaw

• Level 2 Member
« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2008, 12:24:01 PM »

Actually the Quick Install Guide shows installing the HDD in the left bay by default, which i think makes any one see it to do the same, then they get hit with the problem when adding additional HDD. BTW even the online updated version of the Quick Install Guide have the same pictures.

Actually if you look closely, the picture shows the insertion of the second drive as the first one is already in there!  ;)

However, I agree that D-Link should have better documentation for such an important gotcha.

Lupismaximus

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2008, 11:53:42 AM »

BE CAREFUL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I have a DNS-323 with FW 1.05.  I recently added a second WD 750GB HD to the unit to do Raid 1.  I had the original drive in the correct bay, and added the second drive in per the website's instructions.

When I logged back into the GUI, it immediately recognized the second drive and asked if I wanted to make it a Raid1 or Raid0 config. 

Like an idiot, I was anxious to get this going, so I didn't back up my drive info.  Well, as I followed the steps to configure Raid1, and even though the GUI said it wouldn't loose or format any of my data on the original drive, it completely formatted my original drive's data. 

Since then, I was able to abstract 80% of the lost data, but it didn't use my naming convention or sub folders.  It just numbered the files and I now have to go through 45K files to determine what they are.

The good news is the the Raid configuration now works great.  I am a little concerned about a crash and having to bring up a second drive again, but I will get to that stage when I need to.  I now back up my PICs and some word docs to another drive.  I do this just in case a fail over doesn't work as it is supposed to. 

I would love to hear from others who have experienced a successful rebuild, without any data loss, and then I will have more confidence with the unit.
« Last Edit: November 19, 2008, 11:57:46 AM by Lupismaximus »

Wallbanger

« Reply #7 on: December 08, 2008, 12:57:54 PM »

Interesting thread.

Here is what I did to add a second drive.

1. Moved the existing drive to the RIGHT bay.
2. Installed second drive to LEFT bay.
3. Fired up Easy Search- Launched Web configuration, recognized new drive- asked if FORMAT OK? -yes

At this point I had two volumes.  New Vol 1 and Old Vol 2 with all my data intact.  Only problem was that Bit Torrent was no longer installed.  Could not install from CD.   ???

Working from another post, I shut everything down, and SWAPPED the two drives.

Fired everything up, and now everything is restored back to where I started in Vol 1, plus I now have access to all the NEW drive space in Vol 2.

SUCCESS!!

lats

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #8 on: January 12, 2009, 06:54:01 PM »

If you only have one HDD to use, then by default you should have it installed in the right bay,

Question.

My installation guide states to install a single drive into the left bay whilst it is facing you!
I'm now confused.