• March 19, 2024, 12:01:33 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Author Topic: What is ''Advanced DNS Service'' SPECIFICALLY?  (Read 25253 times)

summerstormpictures

• Level 2 Member
What is ''Advanced DNS Service'' SPECIFICALLY?
« on: April 24, 2009, 03:49:47 AM »

I've read any number of posts related to this but none of them are answered in any specifics. I figure putting it under its own topic will hopefully clear all this up.

There is nothing on the ''more''/help page of the router either.

Can a tech/mod please disclose exactly what this does, how it does it and who it does it with?

Lycan

• Administrator
  • Level 15 Member
Re: What is ''Advanced DNS Service'' SPECIFICALLY?
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2009, 08:31:11 AM »

It's a Co-Host DNS service privatly hosted for D-link by OpenDNS.

summerstormpictures

• Level 2 Member
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2009, 08:55:57 AM »

It's a Co-Host DNS service privatly hosted for D-link by OpenDNS.

Being a long-time user of OpenDNS, will I have the same dashboard control over content and so on as I do now?

What does D-Link's service have that ''standard'' OpenDNS services do not have?

Will I be advertised to?

lotacus

• Level 4 Member
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2009, 01:17:44 PM »

I have raised this question before and without an official reply. I personally don't think we will see an inclusion like that of the DDNS page because even though its a fraction of what secure spot offers, the content filtering will still conflict with their paid service. Which means you will be left with using the opendns client.
« Last Edit: April 24, 2009, 01:55:14 PM by lotacus »

summerstormpictures

• Level 2 Member
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2009, 02:55:17 PM »

I have raised this question before and without an official reply. I personally don't think we will see an inclusion like that of the DDNS page because even though its a fraction of what secure spot offers, the content filtering will still conflict with their paid service. Which means you will be left with using the opendns client.

Interesting. I think it's a fair question and requires some sort of disclosure. If you offer it as a feature (or will continue to do so), there needs to be some sort of written material to tell us just what it is doing. Ignoring the question will not make it go away. Someone is always going to be raising it until there's some sort of answer from the tech/mod group.

Lycan

• Administrator
  • Level 15 Member
« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2009, 03:14:00 PM »

It will be apporpriatly addressed in the official release. If you're uncomfortable with the feature currently, please do not use it.

lotacus

• Level 4 Member
« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2009, 03:15:29 PM »

Well, you can't soley rely on them until they can forward the question themselves to the correct department, and even then, going through all the levels, can take some time unless someone from the dev team stumbles upon the question in the forum and is able to answer it. Until then all we can do is wait and not use it if there are any suspisions.

EddieZ

• Level 10 Member
« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2009, 03:12:52 AM »

I see no reason why it shouldn't be used. No signs of private marketing or what. Let's not regard every new item in a negative way. There is not much harm to be done.
DIR-655 H/W: A2 FW: 1.33

summerstormpictures

• Level 2 Member
« Reply #8 on: April 25, 2009, 03:47:32 AM »

I see no reason why it shouldn't be used. No signs of private marketing or what. Let's not regard every new item in a negative way. There is not much harm to be done.

My issue is primarily with the fact that when you go to ''more'' to see what it is for--nothing. I've also seen several ask what it does and while the word ''cagey'' is probably strong, there does seem to be a silence. While great efforts have gone to explain lots of other stuff, this feature just sits there mysteriously. It'd be nice to have an explanation, that's all.

EddieZ

• Level 10 Member
« Reply #9 on: April 25, 2009, 04:26:31 AM »

My issue is primarily with the fact that when you go to ''more'' to see what it is for--nothing. I've also seen several ask what it does and while the word ''cagey'' is probably strong, there does seem to be a silence. While great efforts have gone to explain lots of other stuff, this feature just sits there mysteriously. It'd be nice to have an explanation, that's all.

Who knows what dark, hidden intentions lay beneath the surface of these private IPs...
Again, we'll all find out what it is. And if it is marketing that will hit users, it's just a peek into the future. Because in a couple of years you will be invaded through all possible channels with marketing. And we wil adapt to it, just like we got used to TV commercials, internet spam, banners, popups etc. Marketing guys know the human psychology.

Lycan

• Administrator
  • Level 15 Member
« Reply #10 on: April 28, 2009, 08:49:10 AM »

More importantly, its a beta code. BETA. We'll fix the information section when the offical release hits the streets.

summerstormpictures

• Level 2 Member
« Reply #11 on: April 28, 2009, 02:47:15 PM »

More importantly, its a beta code. BETA. We'll fix the information section when the offical release hits the streets.

Oh come on for Pete's sake! This is the sort of misdirection we saw in the Bush Administration during press conferences. It's not a complicated question. You're answering a question with a qualification, not an answer.

How complicated can it be? This reminds me of the two messages from Kruschev during the Cuban Missile Crisis. In this case, you're ''pretending I never asked the first question'' and answering the second.

This is exactly what falls into the ''cagey'' category.

Sheesh!

EddieZ

• Level 10 Member
« Reply #12 on: April 28, 2009, 04:11:47 PM »

Oh come on for Pete's sake! This is the sort of misdirection we saw in the Bush Administration during press conferences. It's not a complicated question. You're answering a question with a qualification, not an answer.

How complicated can it be? This reminds me of the two messages from Kruschev during the Cuban Missile Crisis. In this case, you're ''pretending I never asked the first question'' and answering the second.

This is exactly what falls into the ''cagey'' category.

Sheesh!

Hey, being a beta piggie does not mean that we get all the info. We're here for giving the feedback and making the mistakes they want average users to prevent. Not knowing the answer has less impact then the Cuba crisis.  ;)

Lycan

• Administrator
  • Level 15 Member
« Reply #13 on: April 28, 2009, 04:25:03 PM »

As per the "official" release.

Advanced DNS:
When feature is enabled, your internet traffic will be protected by a security ready DNS server. This feature provides Anti-Phishing to protect your Internet connection from fraud and navigation improvements such as auto-correction of common URL typos.

Note:

When DNS Relay is enabled along with Advanced DNS feature, your workstations on the network that are obtaining an IP address from router’s DHCP server will obtain 192.168.0.1 (router’s IP address). However, traffic will still be protected.

Although Advanced DNS feature is enabled, DNS IP address of your workstation can still be modified to the DNS server IP you desire. Please note that the router does not dictate the DNS name resolution when DNS IP address is configured on the workstation.

If you selected this option and have VPN or Intranet setup in your network, you can disable Advanced DNS service if you experience connection difficulties.

arod

« Reply #14 on: April 29, 2009, 08:33:42 AM »

There are FAQ's regarding Advanced DNS on our support site.

Updated Link:
http://us.dlink.com/support/faq/default.aspx?question=Advanced+DNS
« Last Edit: August 09, 2013, 01:12:14 PM by Kakashi::. »