• April 28, 2024, 05:59:17 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Author Topic: A quick question about DIR-300  (Read 7584 times)

ZJ2146

A quick question about DIR-300
« on: July 05, 2009, 09:53:02 PM »

Hi guys, I am new here and I was unable to find the DIR-300 forums so i'd ask here anyway.
My situation is, I was suggested by my superior to use a router, like DIR-300, to connect 2 different subnets.
I have a printer/copier that is on the 192.168.1.x subnet with network users being on a subnet of 169.254.x.x
With only the DIR-300 alone, is it possible to configure it such that these two subnets will talk? Static routing probably?

Note: I do not have router now, so I have never seen what the routers internet-based utility is like and what features it carries, I only have the manual. I also have DI-824/524/624 router manuals and no router too. If anyone has a helpful link to such routers with my situation please link!

Appreciate any help out there thanks!  :)
« Last Edit: July 05, 2009, 09:55:54 PM by ZJ2146 »

Fatman

• Level 9 Member
Re: A quick question about DIR-300
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2009, 10:48:50 AM »

We don't carry that product in the US, so I can't speak with absolute certainty, but I doubt it will do what you need.

You will need a real router not a home NAT device to do what you want to do usually.

Also are you sure they are supposed to be on the 169.254.x.x network?  That is usually an APIPA address and is not supposed to be routable at all.  If your computers are just on the APIPA scope because they aren't configured properly, you might be able to get everyone on the same network yet.
non progredi est regredi

ZJ2146

« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2009, 06:48:40 AM »

You will need a real router not a home NAT device to do what you want to do usually.

Also are you sure they are supposed to be on the 169.254.x.x network?

I see what you mean, so this router does not have the required technology to perform such a tasks technology.
However yes I am supposed to get a APIPA, it is intentional according to my supervisor. What are the ways this can be done, lets say on a more advanced router? I'm thinking of static routing. Would that help?

Fatman

• Level 9 Member
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2009, 08:31:23 AM »

We have home NAT devices that do static routing, but you need something that would have an interface in both networks and does static routing.

This isn't the first time I have heard of using the APIPA scope for "security reasons" (We actually had a D-Link'er who did at home that I knew of at one point), but it is not a great idea, it doesn't sound like it is you call, just saying when it is, don't follow in these footsteps.

I love how tolerant the Intertubes are of infinite run-ons!
non progredi est regredi

ZJ2146

« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2009, 04:40:51 AM »

Ahh yes of course. Well I myself am sure that this setup was never a good idea to begin with, but for whatever reason my superior wants to use this setup, how can I say no!

I read up on the DI-824 router and it boasts 8 times better router technology. Unfortunately I was not provided with the router as it is being deployed elsewhere I have no access to. Hopefully someone who has experience with this router can give some advice as to whether it is suitable for this setup.

What other kinds of home NAT routers are capable of letting me assign multiple fastethernet interface addresses? I don't have a wide range to choose from though, sadly. ???

Fatman

• Level 9 Member
« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2009, 08:27:01 AM »

I don't know of any unfortunately.
non progredi est regredi