D-Link Enterprise > DGS-1210-Series

DGS-1210-10P too hot

(1/1)

mohahn:
I'm using a DGS-1210-10P in a very small equipment room. The switch becomes very hot, so you cannot touch its surface. As it's rackmounted in a mini wall rack and there is only 1u space below the switch an active cooling solution would not suffice.
Now, I thought about adding a big heatsink on the bottom side of the switch case. What do you think?

FurryNutz:
Can you provide a picture of where this switch is located?

More ventilation room maybe needed. Can you test the switch out side the room to see if it gets hot just sitting on a desk by chance?
Maybe some forced induction air should be looked at in this room or in the rack where this switch is mounted.

titusc:

--- Quote from: mohahn on August 07, 2017, 12:59:35 AM ---I'm using a DGS-1210-10P in a very small equipment room. The switch becomes very hot, so you cannot touch its surface. As it's rackmounted in a mini wall rack and there is only 1u space below the switch an active cooling solution would not suffice.
Now, I thought about adding a big heatsink on the bottom side of the switch case. What do you think?

--- End quote ---
I'm having the same problem.  I actually purchased this switch because I saw majority of the power consumed in Watts are available to PoE.
Without a fan, it's actually keeping the heat inside.

I have another Dlink switch without PoE at another site and run a passive PoE injector in line to provide power.  This works out to be significantly cheaper than buying a PoE switch and is also extremely cool.  The non PoE switch is cold and the power supply providing power to the PoE injector is also cold.  Neither has a fan nor is it required.  The non PoE DLink switch + Power Supply for the PoE Injector + PoE Injector sits in a completely sealed space that has no space left after putting these three items with only holes for a 12CM fan that never comes on.  I'd highly recommend doing it this way unless you are putting PoE switches in a proper rack with proper cooling.

FurryNutz:
Thanks for posting however the OP has removed themselves from the forum and not longer is available. I hope this help any other future user.

Good Luck.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

Go to full version