• March 28, 2024, 03:55:34 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Author Topic: Gaming  (Read 11273 times)

deafsailor

Gaming
« on: December 30, 2007, 07:36:48 PM »

Hi,

Prior to 4500, I had an old L i n k S y s BEFW11S4. I've never had any problems with multiplaying games. But with the new 4500, when I move around in the game, it skips. It becomes jerky. It's not smooth at all. I spent the whole weekend trying to improve the game playing. It started when I replaced the 4500 last Friday.

I usually have the wireless turned off, which it is now in 4500. The current games I'm playing are COD4 and UT3. The 4500 settings are all defaults (it has been reset to defaults). Game Fuel is enabled by default. Currently, there's nothing much demanding on my network.

- Motorola SB4200 SURFboard Cable Modem - Earthlink ISP via Time Warner Cable in Raleigh, NC
- L i n k S y s Phone Adapter PAP2-NA
- Two PCs with gig Ethernet cards
- PS3
- CAT6 cables
- firmware is 1.02

I know the 4500 should be a lot better than my old router. It appears to be worse than the old one.

Is there anything I can do to improve it? Can you give me suggestions? Could the cable modem be the problem?

John
« Last Edit: December 30, 2007, 07:42:29 PM by deafsailor »

mjoyce91

Re: Gaming
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2007, 08:34:57 PM »

does this happen in just multiplayer, or multiplayer and single player?

deafsailor

« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2007, 05:15:14 AM »

Good question. I've tested single player in UT3 and it was very smooth. I haven't tested single yet COD4. I'm running 7800 GTX SLI 512 MB. So my PC's hardware shouldn't be an issue.

John

deafsailor

« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2007, 05:29:56 AM »

Maybe I should post the specs of my PC just in case:

Abit Fatal1ty AN8 SLI NVIDIA Socket 939 ATX MB
AMD X2 4200+ Dual
Corsair TWINX XL Latency 1024MB PC3200 Dual-Channel DDR (2 GB)
2 X GeForce 7800 GTX  256Mb
Enermax EG701AX-VE(W) 600 Watt PSU (certified for SLI)
2 Seagate 250 GB HDs running RAID 0
XP Pro SP2

I don't think my PC is the issue. Here's the list of games I played with the old router without any issues:
FEAR
all Battlefields
UT2004
UT3
all of COD
BIOSHOCK
GRAW 2

I mostly play these games online.

Let me know if you need more information.
John

mjoyce91

« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2007, 04:06:26 PM »

try turning off gamefuel and see what happens. other things you could try are using a different ethernet cable (which includes the one to your router from your pc and the one from your router to your modem), and plugging your ethernet cable from your pc into a different port on the router. also, have you tried resetting the router? You can do this by bending a paper clip so that it's straight, and pushing it into the small hole on the back of the router for about 10-15 seconds, and letting it reset. if you're gonna do that, make sure you save your router's settings (if you've changed a lot of settings).

Dinz24

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2007, 04:16:01 PM »

Do a speed test on the line.  http://speakeasy.net/speedtest/  if you see problems there, call your provider.

deafsailor

« Reply #6 on: December 31, 2007, 05:49:28 PM »

Thanks for the suggestions.

I've already tried without game fuel as well as resetting the router. No changes.

However, I haven't tried changing ports or cables. I'm not sure if that makes a difference? Cables worked before but I'll try it. All ports should be the same?

I've also tried the speed test at:
http://www.dslreports.com/speedtest?flash=1
The results varies - 4166 Kb/s download and 303 Kb/s - I got a warning that the upload speed may not be accurate since it detected ISP upload compression.

http://speakeasy.net/speedtest/:
Download Speed: 4925 kbps (615.6 KB/sec transfer rate)
Upload Speed: 307 kbps (38.4 KB/sec transfer rate)

What do you think for the speed? Are they acceptable?

BTW, I swapped the Cable Modem with TWC. I now have Motorola SURFboard Cable Modem SB5101. According to the specs, the upload bandwidth is higher than the older one. Maybe this will help out? I'm still waiting for online multiplaying gaming opportunity w/ friends.

deafsailor

« Reply #7 on: December 31, 2007, 10:18:10 PM »

I think I may know what the problem is... I wasn't thinking when installing Network Magic. I uninstall it the other day. I think this software didn't truly revert my network settings back? Or maybe some left some junk?

I'm going to restage my PC possibly tmw and see if this will solve the problem.

Lycan

• Administrator
  • Level 15 Member
« Reply #8 on: January 02, 2008, 12:27:22 PM »

When you log in to the router, click gamefuel. Is dynamic fragmentation checked?

deafsailor

« Reply #9 on: January 02, 2008, 01:02:24 PM »

Dynamic fragmentation was enabled by default. Should I have gamefuel enable with dynamic frag off? Is that going to make a difference?

Lycan

• Administrator
  • Level 15 Member
« Reply #10 on: January 07, 2008, 04:34:12 PM »

It can help with some of the faster paced online games. Sometimes they don't perform well with dynamic fragmentation.

deafsailor

« Reply #11 on: January 07, 2008, 07:08:09 PM »

I meant to post it earlier. I finally found the problem! The router does not like connecting to the UPS battery backup. Once it's remove and connected straight to my PC from the router, it works like a champ!

Thanks for your help!
John

Lycan

• Administrator
  • Level 15 Member
« Reply #12 on: January 08, 2008, 09:53:30 AM »

What was the model of the UPS that you were using? I have my 655 connected to a APC UPS.