• April 25, 2024, 01:50:44 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: inserting a SATA drive to the DNS-323 without formatting?  (Read 14262 times)

fordem

• Level 10 Member
Re: inserting a SATA drive to the DNS-323 without formatting?
« Reply #15 on: July 28, 2009, 10:14:55 AM »

It has been my experience that if you remove a drive that has been previously formatted as a standard volume (not RAID0, not RAID1 and not JBOD) that it can be reinstalled at a later date without the system prompting you to reformat it provided the system has not been reconfigured for anything other than a standard volume.

Having said that - recent firmware updates now track the installed drives by serial number and this behaviour may have changed.

In any event - and as I posted earlier - be very careful when swapping disks in and out of the DNS-323 - you just might create unneccessary headaches for yourself.
RAID1 is for disk redundancy - NOT data backup - don't confuse the two.

hoglyf

• Level 2 Member
« Reply #16 on: July 28, 2009, 11:08:52 AM »

It has been my experience that if you remove a drive that has been previously formatted as a standard volume (not RAID0, not RAID1 and not JBOD) that it can be reinstalled at a later date without the system prompting you to reformat it provided the system has not been reconfigured for anything other than a standard volume.

Having said that - recent firmware updates now track the installed drives by serial number and this behaviour may have changed.

In any event - and as I posted earlier - be very careful when swapping disks in and out of the DNS-323 - you just might create unneccessary headaches for yourself.

thanks, fordem.  your earlier post is what actually prompted me to ask tech support about this (which i probably should not expect too much from).

my concern is that i know i will use up all the space on the drives i have in the DNS-323 eventually (i rip my blu-ray movies to ISO files for backup and HTPC) and i will have to put new ones in.  and of course, i would have to re-insert the other drive(s) back in when i want to access the ISO files that are in them. 

i know that i will keep the format "standard" and hopefully that will virtually eliminate any issues later.  and hopefully, this new FW (with its serial number tracking feature) will know not to re-format the drives it has records of (unless prompted to by the user).

fordem

• Level 10 Member
« Reply #17 on: July 28, 2009, 01:08:36 PM »

Unfortunately the serial number tracking mechanism only stores two serial numbers, one for the left and one for the right - it's sole purpose is to establish the fact that the drive has been changed and force a format.

This is a NAS server, however, the mode of operation you describe is not the way a NAS should be used - it seems that what you are looking for is a high capacity removable media storage unit - if you treat this unit in that fashion, sooner or later you will end up with lost data.

hoglyf

• Level 2 Member
« Reply #18 on: July 28, 2009, 03:11:01 PM »

i'm sure glad you're around this forum, fordem, thanks.

i did not realize that the 1.08 FW will only store two serial numbers.  that leaves me no choice but to stay with 1.07 (which so far works for me, anyway).

and you're right, i'm treating this NAS like a high capacity removable storage device.  i still think it will work as such (as long as i stay with the 1.07 FW).  my plan is to keep the volume 1 hard drive in the DNS-323 permanently, and place/change/remove/re-insert volume 2 hard drives only as i fill them up to capacity.  this way, the DNS-323 will format a new hard drive as volume 2 everytime, which then makes all the hard drives i'm switching around as volume 2 drives (and i hope this plan works!)

a real high capacity removable storage device is really out of my price range, which is why i went with the NAS.

fordem

• Level 10 Member
« Reply #19 on: July 28, 2009, 07:50:48 PM »

I never said that it was 1.08 that would only store two serial numbers - as far as I know, none of the firmware releases store more than two - I used the phase "recent releases", the earlier releases didn't track the numbers at all.

If you insist on using the unit in a mannerit was not designed for, do not be surprised, if/when, sooner or later you end up loosing data.

hoglyf

• Level 2 Member
« Reply #20 on: July 28, 2009, 09:14:22 PM »

I never said that it was 1.08 that would only store two serial numbers - as far as I know, none of the firmware releases store more than two - I used the phase "recent releases", the earlier releases didn't track the numbers at all.

sorry, my bad.  would you happen to know the most recent FW release that still does not track serial numbers?  thanks.

hoglyf

• Level 2 Member
« Reply #21 on: July 28, 2009, 09:33:38 PM »

If you insist on using the unit in a mannerit was not designed for, do not be surprised, if/when, sooner or later you end up loosing data.

i totally appreciate the warning...duly noted.   :)
Pages: 1 [2]