• March 28, 2024, 11:58:59 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Author Topic: Noisy fan  (Read 19473 times)

aphex

• Level 1 Member
Noisy fan
« on: July 30, 2009, 06:24:27 AM »

Hi,

I use my DGS-1224T in a 15u cabinet in my study, but the fan noise is annoying!!
I can't afford to get the green alternative, the DGS-1024D, so I'm thinking of opening the case to se if I can replace the fan.

I know this will invalidate the warranty (it's past that), but I wonder if anyone else has done anything similar? I assume the fan is anywhere from 40 to 70mm in diameter, and I think Quiet PC may have what I need.

Alternatively, has anyone tried running this model without the fan running, or is there an upgrade option from Dlink where I can go from the DGS-1224T > DGS-1024D?

Bottom line is: the noise has to go! Any comments & advice would be welcome.

Thanks.

Fatman

• Poweruser
  • Level 9 Member
Re: Noisy fan
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2009, 08:30:52 AM »

I would not switch to the DES-1024D even if we offered to switch you out, moving from a web smart switch to a completely unmanaged switch is the wrong direction.

Also don't try fan less, it just don't work so hot.

I can't assist you in switching fans, but I can tell you those two things are a bad idea.
non progredi est regredi

aphex

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2009, 10:12:26 AM »

Hi, thanks for the reply.

Sorry, I meant the new green version of the DGS-1224T!
Is there an upgrade option then from the non-green to green version?

My DGS-1224T has a single 0.7w 5v 40mm 2-pin fan on board, but even though it's noisy, such a small fan can't be all that effective surely? I'm sure a passive cooling system could be used perhaps (the fan is in line with several heatsinks inside). Anyway, I may try another fan. In the meantime, I've re-seated the stock fan back against the side of the switch with rubber grommets between the fan & the casing to help absorb some vibrational noise.

However, it's still not great, so it's either a better fan or a green DGS-1224T perhaps?

Fatman

• Poweruser
  • Level 9 Member
« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2009, 10:19:31 AM »

No, we don't tend to do upgrade options.
non progredi est regredi

HoustonFirefox

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2009, 07:26:15 AM »

There are many issues related to the fan reliability on D-Link switches.

http://www.amazon.com/D-Link-24-Port-Rackmountable-Gigabit-Switch/product-reviews/B0002TPFTA

I own the DGS 1024D and it died about 1.5 years into service. The network was down, I went in and looked at the switch (through the smoke-filled large closet) and ALL of the lights were lit up. The case was extremely hot and left a burn mark on the mounting board behind the unit.

I unplugged it and let the smoke clear, then plugged it back in. Nothing. No lights, fan, etc - zero.

The fan had been making a rattling noise for about 3 weeks prior to the failure so I guess it was in the process of failing. When that happened I think the unit overheated and probably would burnt my house down had I been on one of my business trips.  :o

I've owned the DL switches, a 4 port, 8 port (desktop models) and this 24 port unit. All three of them have failed with within 2 years of service. I would strongly advise completely unplugging the unit and putting it away if the fan makes any noise whatsoever. I've mailed the CPSC a letter about this but have yet to get a reply.

Two other 24 port switches (from a diff mfg) have all been in operation for more than 3 years without a hiccup. D-Link really needs to look into this problem since it appears to be widespread.

I have not yet sent it back for repair since I'm afraid the refurbished/replacement unit would probably have the same issue over time and maybe do the same thing.

Don't get me wrong, the units are very fast and work great WHEN they are working, but seem to fail at the most inopportune time  :-[

rnoguera

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2009, 09:23:44 AM »

We had the noise problem in one of our units.

We called support and got a repaired unit that makes no noise at all.

I am not sure if it applies to all markets, but these units have 5 year warranty for us...