• March 28, 2024, 02:07:04 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Traner file between PC and NAS would be slowly  (Read 20006 times)

henryhoang

• Level 1 Member
Traner file between PC and NAS would be slowly
« on: March 21, 2012, 09:51:19 PM »

I have NAS 343 using Raid 5 - 4 disks Seagate - after few days DNS running,  when I copy from DNS to pc and inverse is too slow. I dont know why it became serious, it's really nightmare.
Aand then I review memory of DNS 343 as below:

/ # free /?
              total         used         free       shared      buffers
  Mem:       126836       125336         1500            0        27012
 Swap:      2120416            0      2120416
Total:      2247252       125336      2121916

Free memory is a litle bit minimun. Anyone can give me ideas about of this.

Thanks in advance.

JavaLawyer

• BETA Tester
  • Level 15 Member
  • D-Link Global Forum Moderator
    • FoundFootageCritic
Re: Traner file between PC and NAS would be slowly
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2012, 04:37:55 AM »

Some questions:

• What is your data throughput up and down (e.g. x Mbps upload, y Mbps download)?
  • What is your router speed (100/1000)?
  • Are your PC and DNS-343 directly connected to the rear Ethernet ports on the router? If not, how are they connected to the LAN?
  • Does your PC network card have a 100 or 1000 connection? Have you verified the connection speed on the PC?
  • What OS is running on your PC?
Find answers here: D-Link ShareCenter FAQ I D-Link Network Camera FAQ
There's no such thing as too many backups FFC

henryhoang

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2012, 06:22:14 PM »

1. What is your data throughput up and down (e.g. x Mbps upload, y Mbps download)?
My data is files such as document, zip, data...

2.What is your router speed (100/1000)?
router speed is 100.

3.Are your PC and DNS-343 directly connected to the rear Ethernet ports on the router? If not, how are they connected to the LAN?
My PC connect directly to DNS-242 via switch.

4.Does your PC network card have a 100 or 1000 connection? Have you verified the connection speed on the PC?
My PC use NIC 100Mps, and DNS343 connected to switch 1000Mps.

5.What OS is running on your PC?
My PC run Window 7.

I think my office having many people access to DNS and it also creates many sessions. Maybe it makes DNS running slower. It would become slowly after few days.

When I restart DNS then it is better and run normally. In addition to this, Log in DNS always show Fan can't rotate - DNS running firmware 1.04 - What does it mean?

Many thanks.

JavaLawyer

• BETA Tester
  • Level 15 Member
    • FoundFootageCritic
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2012, 08:44:10 PM »

The answer to question 1 should be a set of two numbers
(e.g. average of 14 mbps while downloading files; average of 7 mbps while uploading files)

The "Fan Cannot Rotate Error" is erroneous and only appears in firmware version 1.04. The error was corrected in firmware version 1.05b01.

JavaLawyer

• BETA Tester
  • Level 15 Member
    • FoundFootageCritic
« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2012, 04:39:36 AM »

Since your client PC are only rated at 100 Mbps, the fact that your switch and DNS-343 are operating at 1000 Mbps won't matter. Your PC is the bottleneck.  I suspect your download throughput will most likely max out at around 10-14 Mbps, while upload throughput will hover around 6-10 Mbps.

Are these numbers similar to what you're observing?

henryhoang

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2012, 10:27:59 PM »

After I restart DNS343 about 2 or 3 days. access to DNS 343 from any PCs in my network becomes slowly - download and upload are about Kbps - it makes me crazy and then i must restart DNS343. Moreover, when I restart it spent a long time to shutdown and backup power.
I don't know why the issue is happen frequently. What session is bottleneck during accessing to DNS343. And how I know to disconnect exactly the connection.
I can telnet to DNS343 by command line and I also kill PID from terminator.  Please give me advise about this problem. Thanks so much.

JavaLawyer

• BETA Tester
  • Level 15 Member
    • FoundFootageCritic
« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2012, 05:35:46 AM »

After I restart DNS343 about 2 or 3 days. access to DNS 343 from any PCs in my network becomes slowly - download and upload are about Kbps - it makes me crazy and then i must restart DNS343. Moreover, when I restart it spent a long time to shutdown and backup power.
I don't know why the issue is happen frequently. What session is bottleneck during accessing to DNS343. And how I know to disconnect exactly the connection.
I can telnet to DNS343 by command line and I also kill PID from terminator.  Please give me advise about this problem. Thanks so much.

Again, what average upload and download throughput are you observing?

Do you own or have access to a PC running an OS other than Windows 7 (e.g. Windows XP)? If so, please try accessing your DNS-343 from that PC and post back.

Also if you are connected to a true GB network where all devices between the DNS-343 and client PC support GB speeds, you should observe download speeds averaging around 30-31 Mbps and upload throughput of 8-10.5 Mbps
« Last Edit: March 26, 2012, 08:17:21 AM by JavaLawyer »

henryhoang

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2012, 11:44:03 PM »

Again, what average upload and download throughput are you observing?

Do you own or have access to a PC running an OS other than Windows 7 (e.g. Windows XP)? If so, please try accessing your DNS-343 from that PC and post back.

Also if you are connected to a true GB network where all devices between the DNS-343 and client PC support GB speeds, you should observe download speeds averaging around 30-31 Mbps and upload throughput of 8-10.5 Mbps

1. I access to DNS343 by PC running window 2k3, window xp and other OS link Linux as well. It is same with window 7. Maximum speed is nearly 100Kps while the problem was happening - I forgot to capture image of this issue - and I also access slowly to configuration web of DNS.
However, I telnet to my DNS343 by command to review info about sessions and saw many task like this:
 2599 root     /usr/sbin/samba/smbd -D
 2601 root     /usr/sbin/samba/nmbd -D
 2610 root     /usr/sbin/samba/smbd -D
 2611 root     /usr/sbin/samba/smbd -D
 3982 root     /usr/sbin/samba/smbd -D
 4062 root     /usr/sbin/samba/smbd -D
 4233 root     /usr/sbin/samba/smbd -D
 4379 root     /usr/sbin/samba/smbd -D
 7114 10024    /usr/sbin/samba/smbd -D
 7403 root     /usr/sbin/samba/smbd -D
 8467 root     /usr/sbin/samba/smbd -D
 8490 root     /usr/sbin/samba/smbd -D
 8540 root     /usr/sbin/samba/smbd -D
 8770 10015    /usr/sbin/samba/smbd -D
 8947 10055    /usr/sbin/samba/smbd -D
 9005 root     /usr/sbin/samba/smbd -D
 9103 root     /usr/sbin/samba/smbd -D
 9139 root     /usr/sbin/samba/smbd -D
 9184 10000    /usr/sbin/samba/smbd -D
 9307 root     /ffp/bin/sh

So I disconnected some ftp sessions via some clients. It would be better than before. That makes me confuse about sessions created by clients accessing to DNS343.

2. If speed of accessing to DNS343 is upper 1Mbps that will be the best of demand with me. But I still confuse what certain reason makes accessing to DNS343 slow sometime? I will figure out the solution for issue soon.
And I am also appreciated for your helps. Anyway, many thanks to you.

JavaLawyer

• BETA Tester
  • Level 15 Member
    • FoundFootageCritic
« Reply #8 on: March 27, 2012, 04:43:49 AM »

A number of users have reported intermittently slow performance when accessing the DNS-343 from Windows 7.  Try accessing your DNS-343 from a PC using a different operating system and test whether the performance shows any sign of improvement.

henryhoang

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #9 on: March 27, 2012, 09:21:52 PM »

I tried to access to DNS343 from many PCs such as window XP, Window 2k3, Linux... It is the same result (about 100Kps).  >:(
And I must restart DNS343 every I had problem.

JavaLawyer

• BETA Tester
  • Level 15 Member
    • FoundFootageCritic
« Reply #10 on: March 28, 2012, 04:33:03 AM »

Please try the following (all of these items are known to have an impact on throughput):

(1) If the DNS-343 is connected to your LAN via a switch, connected the DNS-343 directly to one of the Ethernet ports on the rear of the router
(2) Swap out the Ethernet cable (a damaged cable can reduce throughput)
(3) Use a wired (not wireless) connection between the PC and router (if the connection is already wired, then swap out the Ethernet cable)
(4) DNS-343: Enable jumbo frames
(5) DNS-343: Disable UPnP AV Server
(6) DNS-343: Disable FTP Server
(7) DNS-343: Disable DHCP Server

« Last Edit: March 28, 2012, 04:41:25 AM by JavaLawyer »

henryhoang

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #11 on: April 12, 2012, 08:39:39 PM »

(1)(2)(3): All PCs in our office was always using CABLE.
(4): I tried to do it. but not improvement for me.
(5): This function is always disabled.
(6): I must use FTP server, however the idle time for each connection is 1 minute and limited only 4 connections. Sometime I disconnect FTP connection somewhere then it will be better then.
@: I have a vague idea of stuck in the FTP connection is principle cause of this problem
(7): This function is always disabled.

Anyways, thanks in advance.

JavaLawyer

• BETA Tester
  • Level 15 Member
    • FoundFootageCritic
« Reply #12 on: April 18, 2012, 09:43:08 AM »

This issue is still baffling me. A direct wired GB network connection (PC -> Router -> DNS-343) should yield an average download throughput of around 25-32 MBps and average upload throughput of around 9-12 MBps.  Do you have a spare router you can use to connect a PC and DNS-343 to perform another speed test? My thoughts at this point is that this is network related.  :-\

henryhoang

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #13 on: April 23, 2012, 01:39:21 AM »

My network is good for DNS343 and my PC this could be because that MY PC and DNS343 is connected to the "same switch".
However I think I know what issue is happen with my DNS343 related to this. Particularly, When I stop FTP service then my connect is becoming better. So I think multi-connection of FTP service in DNS343 have problem.
As a result, I stopped FTP in stead of restarting DNS343 as before. Anyways, Now I also know what problem is.
Thanks a lot

JavaLawyer

• BETA Tester
  • Level 15 Member
    • FoundFootageCritic
Re: Transfer file between PC and NAS would be slowly
« Reply #14 on: April 23, 2012, 04:53:00 AM »

I'm glad to hear that your DNS-343 and PC are sharing the same switch, which avoids many network traffic issues. As  I stated earlier, enabling/using the FTP server will unfortunately slow down your DNS-343. The DNS-343 processor is starting to show it's age, as enabling multiple services will bog things down quite a bit.
« Last Edit: April 23, 2012, 05:49:15 AM by JavaLawyer »
Pages: [1] 2