• March 29, 2024, 03:01:03 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Author Topic: Speedtest.net testing??/  (Read 4657 times)

K_cin

• Level 1 Member
Speedtest.net testing??/
« on: December 29, 2009, 03:35:27 PM »

Well I bought the DGL-4500 to add wireless and to improve what I thought was just my old dlink wired router going bad.  Right now I am still only using the wired lan ports.  When I hook up my modem directly to my pc I get about 17m internet connection based off of speedtest.net.  However when I plug it into the DGL-4500 I now only test at about 3mg connection!?  And this is not with other systems on hogging the bandwith.  Any ideas/suggestions?  Going to call tech support sometime soon as well to see if maybe it is just a firewall setting or something that is making the connection slow?  Any advice or point in the right direction would be appreciated. 

Corroded

• Level 2 Member
Re: Speedtest.net testing??/
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2009, 03:46:06 PM »

ok...have you updated the Firmware?

try 1.13 first

Set logging to Firewall and Critical only

turn off the Advanced DNS

make sure the WAN and LAN address settings are different.  as in if wan address is a 192.168.1.x change the LAN to 192.168.77.x

save, reboot and try it again.  Make sure you've hard booted the dsl/cable modem from a full power off and disconnected state as well.

post what you get.

K_cin

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2009, 07:34:16 PM »

Thanks I will try all those suggestions tomorrow morning.  My router came installed with the 1.14 firmware, but all those other settings I can change.  The only settings I have changes so far was to set up my devices on static IP addresses.

So is it just the speedtest though and a problem with that process or is my router not putting out the correct speed?  Thanks a mil!

K_cin

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2009, 08:22:23 PM »

well just gave all these changes a go an no improvement on the speedtest.  My old dlink 604 strictly wired router seemed to work a tad faster even.  Where are the 17-20 megs that are pumping into this thing going?  Don't get it.  My ISP said to actually go with a different brand but this has to be just some sort of setting or something.

Corroded

• Level 2 Member
« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2009, 10:40:35 PM »

odd.  I ran this on a wifi link via the 4500:

Last Result:
Download Speed: 24932 kbps (3116.5 KB/sec transfer rate)
Upload Speed: 3961 kbps (495.1 KB/sec transfer rate)

I could send you my config profile... not sure what else to do.

HankRiker

• Level 2 Member
« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2009, 06:36:56 AM »

Well I bought the DGL-4500 to add wireless and to improve what I thought was just my old dlink wired router going bad.  Right now I am still only using the wired lan ports.  When I hook up my modem directly to my pc I get about 17m internet connection based off of speedtest.net.  However when I plug it into the DGL-4500 I now only test at about 3mg connection!?  And this is not with other systems on hogging the bandwith.  Any ideas/suggestions?  Going to call tech support sometime soon as well to see if maybe it is just a firewall setting or something that is making the connection slow?  Any advice or point in the right direction would be appreciated. 

Check Advanced/Advanced Network/WAN Port Speed. I have mine set too 100Mbps as that's the maximum the Cablemodem I have can provide. If yours is set to 10Mbps, that might be your issue.

Just shooting in the dark, but I've seen that happen before.

Hope this helps,
Hank
My D-Link Hardware:
DIR-825 HW:B1 FW:2.02NA || DIR-825 HW:A1 FW:1.01 || DGS-1016D HW:C1 || DGL-4500 HW:A1 FW:1.02
DGL-4300 HW:A4 FW:1.9 || DGS-2205 || DGL-4300 HW:A2 FW:1.9 || DGL-4300 HW:A1 FW:1.9

Pac

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2009, 07:38:33 AM »

Try this site. http://myspeed.visualware.com/index.html
I think there is a problem with Speedtest.net.

K_cin

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #7 on: December 31, 2009, 06:46:56 AM »

Well after letting these settings stick for a day and a couple of manual reboots I am now up and running at 18-21 mbs.  My uploads are a bit slow still at about 1.5 mbs.  These are all w ired speeds, havent even tested wireless speeds yet.  I have the A2 version with 1.14 firmware and have had no disconnect issues or anything as of yet.

It seems when I manually reboot I get very slow mbs for the first couple of hours.