• April 19, 2024, 01:54:27 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Author Topic: QOS &(or) WISH for online gaming/high performance - are you using it?  (Read 14230 times)

drick

• Level 3 Member

hi,

i wanted to take a brief poll and see what the current thoughts are on using some of the bells and whistles included on the DAP to increase performance.

Q1 - is anyone using QOS successfully, and if so how?
Q2 - is anyone using WISH successfully, and if so how?
Q3 - is anyone using QOS&WISH successfully together, and if so how?

If answer is no to this, why not and do these features actually work?

Here are some more details:

I am connecting a DAP-1522 to a DIR-825, the units are about 30 feet away from each other with no obstructions at all between them.

FW versions are in my auto sig.

I'm connecting the 2 using N band only with WPA2-personal + AES (only).

There are no other N clients connecting to the DIR except for the DAP.

I have 3 devices connected into the DAP, but there are never more than 1 in use at any time (PS3 or XBOX 360 Elite).

Let me know if you need any more details before answering.
DNS-323v1.8 + ffp 0.5
2x750GB Seagate HDD's / RAID1+EXT3
DNS-343A - retired due to faulty fan
DNS-343B - retired due to faulty fan
DNS-343C v1.05b + ffp 0.5
4x2TB Seagate HDD's / RAID5+EXT3
Netgear RNDP6000
6x2TB WD HDD's / RAID6
Netgear WNDR4500

lizzi555

• Level 5 Member
Re: QOS &(or) WISH for online gaming/high performance - are you using it?
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2009, 08:30:09 PM »

Q1 - is anyone using QOS successfully, and if so how?
Yes but only in my DIR-855 for VoIP - just set high priority for the telephony adapter.

Q2 - is anyone using WISH successfully, and if so how?
WISH prioritizes wireless connections in your internal network, it slowed down my wireless, so I do not use it. In most cases there is more sense to use QoS on your internet connection as it is the bottle neck.

Q3 - is anyone using QOS&WISH successfully together, and if so how?
No

I have 3 devices connected into the DAP, but there are never more than 1 in use at any time (PS3 or XBOX 360 Elite).

If there is only one active connection at a time, there is no use of using QoS except this device hosts different timecritical services used at the same time (i.e. gaming, video streaming, VoIP).

I can imagine that using QoS in your router and bridge may interfere if not set properly.
Different chopsets may handle QoS rules in different ways that do not work together properly.
At least I did not notice any advantage enabling QoS in the DAP menu. So I leave it off and everything works fine  ;D

drick

• Level 3 Member
« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2009, 06:34:42 AM »

Yes but only in my DIR-855 for VoIP - just set high priority for the telephony adapter.
WISH prioritizes wireless connections in your internal network, it slowed down my wireless, so I do not use it. In most cases there is more sense to use QoS on your internet connection as it is the bottle neck.
No

If there is only one active connection at a time, there is no use of using QoS except this device hosts different timecritical services used at the same time (i.e. gaming, video streaming, VoIP).

I can imagine that using QoS in your router and bridge may interfere if not set properly.
Different chopsets may handle QoS rules in different ways that do not work together properly.
At least I did not notice any advantage enabling QoS in the DAP menu. So I leave it off and everything works fine  ;D

that is kind of what my thoughts were as well, so i'm going to try and disable it on both sides and see what happens.

i am considering adding VOIP to my network, so i may add QOS back in when that happens.

just out of curiosity do you have any data / tests that you did that show that QOS with VOIP actually yielded any improvement, or is this just a SWAG. i don't mean to criticize / disagree with your thoughts, i just want to see if someone actually tested it both ways and came to the conclusion that either of these actually yield real results.
DNS-323v1.8 + ffp 0.5
Netgear RNDP6000
6x2TB WD HDD's / RAID6
Netgear WNDR4500

lizzi555

• Level 5 Member
« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2009, 09:16:22 AM »

just out of curiosity do you have any data / tests that you did that show that QOS with VOIP actually yielded any improvement, or is this just a SWAG

Without QoS rule I had short interrupts on the phone if there was a download at the same time.
Now I can hold up to 3 phone lines without issues.
At the same time the download manager of my Diskstation may have 10 downloads.
But I did no further tests and measuring.

This is the only rule to prioritize my ATA device.

I never tried the QoS of the DAP as with firmware 1.20 when I bought it, the devices on the switch did not see each other if QoS was enabled.

drick

• Level 3 Member
« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2009, 12:28:58 PM »

thanks for posting your config, that will make it easier to copy when my VOIP equipment comes in!

:)

p.s. do you have a 2MB xdsl connection, or was that value auto populated?
« Last Edit: November 23, 2009, 12:30:38 PM by drick »
DNS-323v1.8 + ffp 0.5
Netgear RNDP6000
6x2TB WD HDD's / RAID6
Netgear WNDR4500

lizzi555

• Level 5 Member
« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2009, 12:44:12 PM »

I have to Internet lines (in the moment)
2/32 cable internet and 1/16 DSL line.
DIR-855 is connected to the cable in the moment and the DIR-655 to DSL.

No it is not automaticly detected. My UPlink is at 2250 kBps and I enterded this value manually-
When using QoS I use a value that is a little bit lower as it is in reality.
If you use a number that is to high, QoS can't work properly.

And the auto detect was not able to set the correct amount.

FurryNutz

• Poweruser
  •   ▲
    ▲ ▲
  • D-Link Global Forum Moderator
    • Router Troubleshooting
Cable: 1Gb/50Mb>NetGear CM1200>DIR-882>HP 24pt Gb Switch. COVR-1202/2202/3902,DIR-2660/80,3xDGL-4500s,DIR-LX1870,857,835,827,815,890L,880L,868L,836L,810L,685,657,3x655s,645,628,601,DNR-202L,DNS-345,DCS-933L,936L,960L and 8000LH.