• April 24, 2024, 05:01:58 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Author Topic: wireless router pre-sales question  (Read 6670 times)

drick

• Level 3 Member
wireless router pre-sales question
« on: May 20, 2009, 09:58:52 AM »

hi,

i'm about at the end of my rope with Linksys and there lack of development for their products. as such i need to replace my wrt600n unit with something else, and i wanted to see what current users would recommend me looking into / purchasing.

must haves:
wpa2-psk & wpa-tkip
mac address filtering
embedded 4 port fastE switch
stable
current platform that D-Link will be developing on, or fully functional 3rd party firmware exists
wireless g
AP only
ability to pair with linksys wet200 bridge
ability to assign manual dhcp reservations

nice to haves:
wireless n
embedded 4 port gigE switch
fully functional syslog
jumbo frame support
qos
under $100
energy star qualified
AP+router

please fire away with any/all suggestions, and thanks in advance.
DNS-323v1.8 + ffp 0.5
2x750GB Seagate HDD's / RAID1+EXT3
DNS-343A - retired due to faulty fan
DNS-343B - retired due to faulty fan
DNS-343C v1.05b + ffp 0.5
4x2TB Seagate HDD's / RAID5+EXT3
Netgear RNDP6000
6x2TB WD HDD's / RAID6
Netgear WNDR4500

smlunatick

• Level 5 Member
Re: wireless router pre-sales question
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2009, 06:43:29 AM »

What is the problem with your LinksyWRT600 unit?

As for D-Link, the DIR-628 is:

-- not Gigabit
-- not "open-source" -- no third party firmwares
-- Not AP only (official) -- you may be able to "trick" it.

drick

• Level 3 Member
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2009, 07:12:08 AM »

the linksys unit has never been stable since day 1 for me. it has now deteriorated to the point that i have to reboot it about every other day due to losing all connection to it. finally, i cannot attach any linux clients to it without it crashing.

to sum it up in one word FUBAR.

i have been recommended to the 825 by someone else, so i'm leaning in that direction right now. do you know anything about that unit?
DNS-323v1.8 + ffp 0.5
Netgear RNDP6000
6x2TB WD HDD's / RAID6
Netgear WNDR4500

smlunatick

• Level 5 Member
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2009, 08:31:32 AM »

DIR-825 is a "dual-band" router (5.0Ghz and 2.4Ghz.)

But I would believe the "same" problems will show up as the Linksys.

Also, The "featured" SharePort does not appear to be "as" good as the Linksys equalvalent.

As for the Linksys problems, firmware updates, anti-virus "tuning" and environmental "solutions" are what is needed to be checked.

drick

• Level 3 Member
« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2009, 07:14:05 PM »

DIR-825 is a "dual-band" router (5.0Ghz and 2.4Ghz.)

But I would believe the "same" problems will show up as the Linksys.

Also, The "featured" SharePort does not appear to be "as" good as the Linksys equalvalent.

As for the Linksys problems, firmware updates, anti-virus "tuning" and environmental "solutions" are what is needed to be checked.

why do you think that two companies that do separate development on separate hardware would have the same issues? i find that to be an odd statement.

i don't care about the shareport on either unit, won't ever use it.

forgive me for saying this so directly, but been their done that on all of your suggestions. go do search on the linksys forums for my user name if you'd like to do some research on what i've tried to date. finally, as to firmware updates, as their haven't been any for over 12 months, that may be hard to accomplish.
DNS-323v1.8 + ffp 0.5
Netgear RNDP6000
6x2TB WD HDD's / RAID6
Netgear WNDR4500

smlunatick

• Level 5 Member
« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2009, 07:25:01 AM »

Why?

First,  802.11n is still in Draft mode.  The specifications have not been "ratified" into an accepted standard.  Until is standard is "ratified", interoperability of the network devices is not guarantied.

I been experimenting with several 11n routers (DIR-615 and DIR-628) as well as other makers.  I know that when you have "disconnect" problems in general, no matter what router "make" used, the problems tend to continue.  You must eliminate:

-- Software interaction causes that forces the disconnects -- Norton "deauthenticates" wireless SSID if SSID not trusted.

-- Microwaves cause interference

-- Neighbour signal interference

-- Cordless "land-line" phones -- DECT 6.0 technology is "reported" WiFi friendly.  Older 2.4 and 5.8 cordless phones can cause problem (I experienced this.)

-- Bluetooth signals -- These also can use the 2.4Ghz radio signals

-- Cordless keyboard / mice -- also on the 2.4Ghz radio

-- WAN port access problems -- Some broadband "modem" do not respond correctly if the WAN port line speed is set to Auto detect.

Also, do your "really" think that Linksys or D-Link really "make" the wireless radios?  These companies "license" the radios from another manufacturer and tweak them to suit thier needs.  Without going into greater details, it is possible that they both could use the same radios.

(Note:  It has been posted elsewhere here that RALink has an updated wireless adapter drivers that can be used on several D-Link adapters.  I have checked the INF files of these and there also several Linksys adapters mentioned.)

drick

• Level 3 Member
« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2009, 06:55:18 PM »

i actually agree with several of your points actually.

the challenge as i'm sure you know is that it's hard to get a router without N on it these days. perfect example is that the di724 is 30$ more than the dir825 (which you can't even barely find to purchase anymore).

as to the rest of those issues, the fact that i can plug in a net new router and all of the issues go away with everythign else in the environment staying the same does tend to somewhat challenge your assumptions though IMHO.

finally, you are absoultely correct that they OEM someone else chipset, BUT they write very different code for it. my analogy here is that i can os x, linux, or windows on intel, would you say that all of those are the same because they run on the same hardware?

DNS-323v1.8 + ffp 0.5
Netgear RNDP6000
6x2TB WD HDD's / RAID6
Netgear WNDR4500

smlunatick

• Level 5 Member
« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2009, 07:23:05 AM »

If you are looking for a more generally "usable" router, then consider a router to could accept a "third" party firmware.  Two "on-going" open source firmwares are DD-WRT and OpenWRT, which have extremely limited D-Link "support" as most D-Link "internal" hardware is not open source.

fafisorb

• Level 1 Member
wireless router pre sales question
« Reply #8 on: June 17, 2009, 08:57:41 AM »

Id check for updates to the firmware for the router. Make sure you check for the correct model and version of your router. Firmware should be in the Administration settings for either router.
Also check for updated drivers for the network adapter in each computer connecting to the router. Either wired or wireless. Device Manager will give the manufacturer and model and driver version of each adapter.
You can go to the support page for each manufacturer to get the most recent driver release.