The Graveyard - Products No Longer Supported > DAP-1522

DAP-1522 is making me crazy!

(1/8) > >>

misterdna:
Okay, I can't figure out if I have a defective DAP-1522, or what. First off, I have never been able to access the unit at http://DLINKAP when my computer is connected directly to the 1522 via ethernet, only 192.168.0.50 works to bring up the web interface.

Second, I have more than one AP at my house, but the DAP-1522 is the only networking device I have have problems with (I am using the unit in AP mode). Basically, the problem is the wireless connection usually is much slower than my other APs (both N and G), even when the computer is physically right next to the DAP-1522. And that's when the unit is at it's best. At it's worst, I can't connect to the internet at all, even though my laptop shows full signal strength. The 1522 just seems really finicky. The problem doesn't seem to be a networking issue, because a 2nd AP that is connected through the wired portion of the DAP-1522 works perfectly, implying the 1522 is having no networking issues when using the ethernet ports. But since the problems persist with full signal strength and with the computer right next to the 1522, it doesn't seem to be a wireless connection issue either. And I have no problems connecting to any other wireless APs I own (and I own about 5 others, not that I use them all at the same time).

If I could, I would return my 1522, but I've been tinkering with it for too long now to return it. It has caused me a ton of frustration. I had a wired-only router for a long time (hence the purchase of the 1522), but just bought a new wireless-N router that is performing perfectly (as a router, and as an N AP). I hoped the old router might have not been playing nice with the 1522, but have seen no improvement with the 1522 wired to the new router (on opposite ends of my home).

Note that I use Macs only, no Windows machines. I started with the 1.02 firmware for the 1522, now have 1.20 firmware, but have noticed no improvements with my issues.

anon:
How exactly do you have the dap-1522 connected?

misterdna:
Currently, DAP-1522 is connected to router via ethernet (which is connected ethernet to cable modem via ethernet). But when I'm changing settings, I connect my laptop directly to the DAP-1522 via ethernet (can't seem to figure out any other way to access the 1522).

anon:
Have you tried a hard restart? Also different channels and channel width.

misterdna:

--- Quote from: anon on January 23, 2009, 10:09:41 AM ---Have you tried a hard restart? Also different channels and channel width.

--- End quote ---
I've spent more time experimenting with settings. Originally had it set to use the Auto Channel Scan feature, and then tried manually a few different channels... No change with the performance issues. Also tried both the 20 and auto 20/40 width setting, and neither setting has fixed my problems.

I tried a hard reset too, no difference. Basically, even when the DAP-1522 is very close to our laptops (my wife's has G and mine has N), and the 1522 shows the strongest wireless signal, the performance for accessing web pages, etc. is almost always much slower than when we are connected to my other WAPs. And sometimes pages just don't load at all. All in all, just very undependable.

My other two devices, an old Airport Express G router (used as AP, not in router mode), and a new SMC N router, both give me great results, always loading web pages quickly.

Any other suggestions/advice? I haven't ever contacted D-Link support, as I've found boards like these typically give better results (and don't require lots and lots of time on the phone repeating steps I've already tried). But I'm still wondering if perhaps I have a lemon...

BTW, can anyone address my comment about "http://DLINKAP" never working right for me, even when I connect my laptop directly to the DAP-1522 (and have no other wired or wireless connection)? Does it work for everyone else? Heck, if I type it in right now, I got to a parked internet website, not to the router.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version