• April 18, 2024, 06:20:40 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Author Topic: Hardrive Spin-Up Loop, Rant  (Read 2891 times)

DRadlin

• Level 1 Member
Hardrive Spin-Up Loop, Rant
« on: October 30, 2008, 07:37:51 AM »

I hear some odd noise coming from my DNS-323 this morning.... I can hear the right drive spinning up then shutting down.... spinning up and shutting down.... over and over again.  The unit is warm too touch though reports as only 40 degrees (I think hotter).

There is no LED or email indications of a drive failure at this time.

Prior to this I was running in RAID1 in a degraded state.

Firmware version is 1.05 and I'm running approved WD2500YS drives.

I've been through processes of replacing and reformatting drives and still the RAID would not re-sync and would fall back into a degraded state.

Prior to first ever falling into a degraded state I did experience an orange LED and email indicating a drive failure, however the failure indication went away after a restart.  Though the RAID has remained in a seemingly unrecoverable degraded state ever since.

I've been through a couple of rounds with tech support.  They've even sent me a reconditioned replacement at one point though it demonstrated all of the same behavior, so I sent it back and kept the original.  My experience with tech support has left me feeling like my situation is an experiment to them - they are never certain what is going to happen next and when they are certain they have usually been wrong.  I don't want to subject my time and data to experimentation.

I don't know if the problems I have been having are specific to the units RAID implementation, or to the unit as a whole.  Wondering these days if I should back out of using RAID and just use a "STANDARD (Individual Disk)" configuration, or just through the thing in the garbage.

My experience with this unit is that it is no were near ready for consumer use.  I did all the research and asked all the pre-sales questions prior to purchasing, but the unit has never performed as it has been represented.  It is far too unreliable for data storage.  I can live with the propsect of a hard drive failing, but once you stick a hard drive into this thing you have entered into another world and host of issues that limit (and possibly endanger) access to your data.  The idea is good but the execution is flawed as is apparent in the devices performance.

Never have I been so concerned and diligent with data back-up since I installed this thing.  I'm far better off adding a dedicated data drive in a computer and backing it up daily than surrendering myself too this flaky product.

DR

hilaireg

• Level 3 Member
Re: Hardrive Spin-Up Loop, Rant
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2008, 09:32:51 AM »

Feel your pain ... I just did a quick 'Google' using => WD2500YS firmware

There are numerous posts indicating that these HDD's are ****e to odd behaviors in RAID configuration.

Because of the instability you are experiencing, I suggest doing a backup of the data, pulling out each HDD and verifying the f/w versions on the labels.  You may need to apply a WD f/w update.

Let us know how it goes ... it would be interesting to find out if HDD f/w updates are going to be an additional item on the checklist of things to update  ::)

Cheers,

ECF

• Administrator
  • Level 11 Member
Re: Hardrive Spin-Up Loop, Rant
« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2008, 11:46:43 AM »

Me too, please revert back to us if the FW updated is needed and resolves your issue.
Never forget that only dead fish swim with the stream