• March 28, 2024, 11:06:58 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Author Topic: Does this camera support POE?  (Read 6937 times)

michael1234

• Level 1 Member
Does this camera support POE?
« on: September 19, 2013, 06:12:54 AM »

Hi all,

I think I might have made a mistake. I bought this camera thinking it supported POE. I got this idea from their manual: http://files.dlink.com.au/Products/DCS-6010L/Manuals/DCS-6010L_A1_Manual_v1.01%28WW%29.pdf

See various references to PoE, especially the table of Pg 8 that seems to indicate either the use of the AC Adapter or the Ethernet cable as power.

However, after receiving a camera, it didn't power via an ethernet cable. I rang support and got it swapped with another one - probably the same batch. This one doesn't power either. I'm 99.9% sure the PoE cable and port is fine, as I can literally plug in one camera that works, then plug in this one and it doesn't. You would think that support would say 'hey, it's not PoE', but I'm not 100% convinced of that.

After reading around the D-Link site, the only reference to PoE I can find is in the manual. It's not in the name, on the box, or on their description like other PoE cameras. Now I'm a bit worried it's just a mistake in their manual. So, I've sent a question to D-Link and haven't got a response yet, but does this camera support PoE or not?

Thanks

JavaLawyer

• BETA Tester
  • Level 15 Member
  • D-Link Global Forum Moderator
    • FoundFootageCritic
Re: Does this camera support POE?
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2013, 08:03:02 AM »

I'll see what I can find out.  :-\  ???
Find answers here: D-Link ShareCenter FAQ I D-Link Network Camera FAQ
There's no such thing as too many backups FFC

michael1234

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2013, 02:42:17 PM »

I'm pretty well convinced that the camera isn't PoE. Under Tech Specs it doesn' mention that it's 802.3af compliant like other D-Link cameras. Although, its specs looks like it will easy power by PoE so I'm not sure why it isn't.

However, the manual is very confusing and misleading if it's not PoE.

Under Internal Ports pg.8:

Power Receptor: Power receptor for the provided power cable or PoE cable to connect to your network

^ That makes me think it's PoE compliant.

Also, under attaching power supply, it shouldn't mention PoE cable or RJ-45 cables as if they're different. Basically, if it's not PoE compliant you don't mention PoE cables at all and definitely not in the 'attaching power' section. However, it can be interpretted as being, you CAN use a PoE cable, but you still need the AC adapter.

If you can confirm that will be great. Not overly impressed if it's not PoE.

JavaLawyer

• BETA Tester
  • Level 15 Member
  • D-Link Global Forum Moderator
    • FoundFootageCritic
« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2013, 05:49:16 AM »

I'm pretty well convinced that the camera isn't PoE. Under Tech Specs it doesn' mention that it's 802.3af compliant like other D-Link cameras. Although, its specs looks like it will easy power by PoE so I'm not sure why it isn't.

However, the manual is very confusing and misleading if it's not PoE.

Under Internal Ports pg.8:

Power Receptor: Power receptor for the provided power cable or PoE cable to connect to your network

^ That makes me think it's PoE compliant.

Also, under attaching power supply, it shouldn't mention PoE cable or RJ-45 cables as if they're different. Basically, if it's not PoE compliant you don't mention PoE cables at all and definitely not in the 'attaching power' section. However, it can be interpretted as being, you CAN use a PoE cable, but you still need the AC adapter.

If you can confirm that will be great. Not overly impressed if it's not PoE.

I haven't heard back from D-Link yet, but from what little I've seen I tend to agree with you. The only reference to PoE is the online PDF manual. Neither the product datasheets, mydlink website, nor D-Link website make any mention of POE. Nor have I come across any mention to PoE on external sites calling out the product. Additionally, D-Link historically includes the acronym "PoE" in the name of their PoE enabled products, and the DCS-6010L does not follow that convention. Does the DCS-6010L box say anything? PoE is a pretty big deal, so if the product did truly support PoE, I would expect D-Link to highlight that functionality. :-\  ???
« Last Edit: September 23, 2013, 06:01:43 AM by JavaLawyer »
Find answers here: D-Link ShareCenter FAQ I D-Link Network Camera FAQ
There's no such thing as too many backups FFC

DNS343_Singapore

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2013, 10:18:47 PM »

it doesn't and I made the same mistake and now I own it I regret buying!

Jrblack100

• Level 2 Member
« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2013, 09:06:48 AM »

It is not POE.  I have three which work well but I had planned on wiring them prior to buying.