• April 24, 2024, 06:21:14 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Streaming pauses periodically  (Read 10110 times)

erikh

• Level 1 Member
Streaming pauses periodically
« on: October 29, 2009, 08:33:34 PM »

I have a DNS-343 I purchased about a year ago with 4 @ Seagate 1.5TB drives, configured as a 4TB Raid5 Volume_1 and the remainder as a JBOD Volume_2. It originally came with the 1.01 firmware, and I had no problems with it, other than the inability to have a single filesystem larger than 4TB, and the lack of NFS support. Volume_1 is about 95% full, Volume_2 is about 50% full.

Recently I discovered that the 1.03 firmware existed, so I downloaded and installed that, including the OLED firmware upgrade.

After upgrading it mostly works, with one critical exception. When I try to stream video off Volume_1, the video streams for about 10-30 seconds, then stops for 10-30 seconds, then resumes, etc. Under 1.01, I had no such problem. In addition, streaming the same video after copying it to Volume_2 works without pausing.

(a) Does anyone know a solution for this problem?
(b) Is it possible to downgrade back to firmware 1.01? Where would I find a copy of the original firmware?

Thanks for your help.

ECF

• Administrator
  • Level 11 Member
Re: Streaming pauses periodically
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2009, 01:45:31 PM »

Yes it is possible to downgrade the firmware if you wish. I would first recommend resetting the unit to factory defaults and try it again.
Never forget that only dead fish swim with the stream

erikh

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2009, 02:11:23 PM »

I've tried resetting to factory defaults. It doesn't seem to change anything.

The cancer seems to be spreading - last night, even streaming off the JBOD volume had the same pausing problems.

How do I go about getting the 1.01 firmware? It doesn't seem to be linked from D-Link DNS-343 support page (http://www.dlink.com/products/?pid=DNS-343&tab=3).

ECF

• Administrator
  • Level 11 Member
« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2009, 02:35:10 PM »

Have you tried 1.02? 1.01 seems to have been remove from support.

erikh

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2009, 04:15:19 PM »

Downgrading to firmware 1.02 seems to have solved the problem, at least temporarily. Thanks much for your help.

twg

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2009, 05:08:45 AM »

I seem to notice the same problem... when accessing large files, it can stream fine for awhile, then it'll stop for awhile, then stream again... very frustrating!

kamy

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #6 on: November 11, 2009, 07:53:14 AM »

This is another issue I've been following (in addition to the "freeze").  I'm a potential customer looking to use the 343 as a media server, but this "pause" issue is a showstopper.  I really hope that D-Link could get their acts together and resolve these two serious issues ("freeze" & "pause") ASAP.

ECF

• Administrator
  • Level 11 Member
« Reply #7 on: November 11, 2009, 09:17:24 AM »

Downgrading to firmware 1.02 seems to have solved the problem, at least temporarily. Thanks much for your help.

This was a know issue while streaming with these Seagate drives when release with bad firmware you may want to also look into verifying that your hard drives have the latest firmware. But f downgrading the firmware seems to have resolved the issue im not sure if that is it however I have not experienced this issue streaming video trying to replicate your issue.

twg

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #8 on: November 11, 2009, 12:25:29 PM »

I have the same issue but they are 1.5gig WD drives... downgrading to 1.02beta doesn't seem to help...

twg

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #9 on: November 12, 2009, 11:27:42 AM »

I noticed that when the slowdown happens from copying off the DNS-343, that the IO cpu% goes to 99%... everything else seems ok, like free memory...

the question then, is why is the io% going so high ?

twg

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #10 on: November 17, 2009, 04:46:53 AM »

any theories from the DLINK staff ? i'm really at my wits end...

the one last thing i'm going to try is to copy all my data to my DNS-323 (which will take forever because of this problem) and then try reformatting the drives... I would like to avoid this however, since transferring 1TB is going to take a long time and there's a risk that I'm going to lose data in the process...

melvynadam

• Level 2 Member
« Reply #11 on: November 19, 2009, 10:50:51 PM »

I too can report he same issue when using v1.03 firmware. Although for me the issues are recent (as the 2 x 1.5TB) drives started filling up.

This thread clearly needs an official response ASAP.

ECF

• Administrator
  • Level 11 Member
« Reply #12 on: November 20, 2009, 10:00:52 AM »

What configuration do you have your hard drives in? If in a RAID configuration please check the status page and verify if they are in sync or in a re-syncing status.

twg

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #13 on: November 29, 2009, 10:31:33 PM »

i've ran quite a few tests and it seems like it only happens consistently with 1 out of my 4 drives... even in 2xRAID1 volumes, only the Volume with this one drive seems to have this slow down issue...

I've even removed all the drives except for this one drive and can reproduce the slowdown issue... what's weird is the drive passes all SMART tests, short and extended... and seems to work fine when connected directly to a computer...

I've submitted a RMA to WD, as it's a 1.5TB WD WD15EADS drive, and hopefully see if the replacement drive has the same issue... it's kinda weird that I don't see this problem when directly using the drive in a computer but we'll see...

skrupka

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #14 on: December 06, 2009, 04:21:27 PM »

I have one 1.5 TB Seagate hard drive running at 7200rpm running the NAS on firmware v.1.3.   I have no problems but I am running the network with a Gigibit switch and network card running Jumbo Frames at 6000 MTU and CAT6 cables.   However, when transferring files i'm only getting about 15 Megabytes per second transfer speeds...   I was expecting it to transfer a lot quicker than that.

Pages: [1] 2