• April 16, 2024, 01:01:20 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Author Topic: Expected disk to disk transfer speeds (both in dns-323) ~6MB/s..?  (Read 2883 times)

Achilles2

• Level 1 Member

I need to copy several large files from Volume_1 in my dns 323 to Volume_2 (no raid setup, all individual). When I start the copy (just using windows explorer copy and paste) it starts going at ~6MB (megabyte)/s.. Is this normal? It also sets my network usage (visible in task manager) to a constant 100%. This makes me think it's bouncing the data from one drive, back to my computer, back to the second drive. I assumed that since both drives are in the same unit it could handle it all internally. Was I being far too optimistic?

Edit: btw, network is running a 100Mbps connection so I guess I shouldn't be surprised that it's going about half that rate. but still, the drives are less than in inch from each other..
« Last Edit: July 08, 2011, 02:16:17 PM by Achilles2 »

ivan

• Level 8 Member
Re: Expected disk to disk transfer speeds (both in dns-323) ~6MB/s..?
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2011, 02:26:19 PM »

Your assumption is correct, by using win explorer the file goes to the computer and then back to the other drive.  There are several references on the forum about disk to disk transfer but you need to look for them. 

In my case I have a DNS-323 in RAID1 that backs up the computers and that in turn is backed up by a DNS-320 using the internal backup feature.

Achilles2

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2011, 03:01:11 PM »

thanks for the info ivan.. I had searched a little before posting but didn't see anything. Some in depth searching lead me to find that dns-323 actually has a backup feature built-in (at login click applications instead of configuration). that was exactly what I was looking for. This is definitely a first for the dns-323 surprising me with its functionality.

Sarvesh

• Level 2 Member
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2011, 08:00:16 PM »

I bought 2 external HD casing. Mounted each drive on my Win 7 machine with extfs.Copied everything across in just a blink. Of course, you should get a casing with eSATA because i guess USB would be slower.