• April 16, 2024, 01:19:42 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Author Topic: What's the easiet way to backup/restore the MBR?  (Read 11960 times)

mrpc

• Level 1 Member
What's the easiet way to backup/restore the MBR?
« on: February 02, 2010, 09:20:32 AM »

I found this vital tip in the Q/A with no explanation of how to do it....any suggestions?

Is there anything I can do to help allow data recovery in case of losing my logical volumes (with data on the hard disk(s) still intact)?
 D-Link can not support MBR backup/restore or any data recovery efforts, but this may allow you to recover your data in case of losing a logical volume.

Please copy the MBR from all of your volumes and store it in a different and secure location.

If you lose your logical volumes, and the data on the hard disk(s) is still intact, then you may be able to recover by recreating a new volume with EXACTLY the same parameters.

Once you do so you will still not have access to your drive unless you restore a backed up MBR.

Any change to the data on the drives or the parameters of the volume may result in irreversible data loss.

Please offer some suggestions...thanks

Fatman

• Level 9 Member
Re: What's the easiet way to backup/restore the MBR?
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2010, 09:41:27 AM »

The reason there are no suggestions is because it could be a hairy operation if you are not familiar with the process.  D-Link wanted to make you aware that doing the above may save your bacon, but can't be responsible for you following our directions (correctly or incorrectly) and potentially  losing everything.  If you perform a quick Google you will find plenty of directions.  As such you will not find D-Link providing you a method below, even if a user (regardless of his employment status at D-Link) provides you one.

As root from any Unix OS where the volume is initiated at /dev/sdx
dd if=/dev/sdx of=/root/MBR.bin bs=512 count=1
dd of=/dev/sdx if=/root/MBR.bin bs=512 count=1

Again I can not stress enough, you are playing with fire, be very careful, check all of your numbers twice.  And most of all D-Link is not responsible for any potential damage from these procedures.
non progredi est regredi