• April 26, 2024, 02:59:04 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5

Author Topic: Firmware Update  (Read 30218 times)

D-Link Multimedia

• Poweruser
  • Level 7 Member
    • D-link Systems, Inc.
Re: Firmware Update
« Reply #15 on: May 27, 2010, 03:31:57 PM »

SIMPLIFIED MANAGEMENT
The DNS-323 can automatically back up your data regardless of your computer’s operating system (Windows®, Mac®, or Linux®). For Windows users, the included feature-rich backup software can help you create schedules and rules including real-time full or incremental backups and storage quotas for specific users and groups

http://www.dlink.ca/products/?pid=DNS-323

Do we have a built in backup routine so we backup the DNS-323 without a computer? Built-in backup was not an advertised feature.

I bolded the differences.

jamieburchell

• Level 6 Member
« Reply #16 on: May 27, 2010, 03:33:40 PM »

Don't be such a D-Link apologist. Do you work for them or something?

No, but I'm in IT - software programming, and I know how difficult and frustrating these things can be.

Imagine a scenario where I develop a web application for three months and test it to death on what were the common browsers- Internet Explorer 7, Google Chrome, Firefox, Safari and Opera. Some time down the line, Internet Explorer 8 is released. Suddenly the website I tested to death a year back doesn't work right. Who's fault is that? It's a similar thing. I get pretty annoyed when customers shout at me.

That's actually a more simple problem than D-Link have. Someone at D-Link would need to keep abreast of every manufacturers hard disk, every model, capacity, new technology and configuration to make sure they work in their 5 year old NAS.
« Last Edit: May 27, 2010, 03:40:53 PM by jamieburchell »
If your little 323 is not working right,
You've racked your brains and been up all night
Take a deep breath and wipe away the sweat,
Login as web admin and try a factory reset!

klein

• Level 3 Member
« Reply #17 on: May 27, 2010, 04:50:35 PM »

I bolded the differences.

Hey D-Link, ok i understand the differences between what mydns323 was asking for and what i am asking for.  That being said, when will the ADVERTISED feature of incremental backups be working as it hasn't since f/w 1.06, 1.07 wasn't really an update for most people and 1.08 is an update that didn't address it, so any ideas as to when???

cybernica

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #18 on: May 27, 2010, 06:31:12 PM »

I agree with tfiveash with most of his points, my main concern is the fan issue. If you're not experiencing this issue try enabling the BitTorrent add-on and fan will never shutdown even if you're not downloading/uploading anything.

tfiveash

• Level 2 Member
« Reply #19 on: May 27, 2010, 10:21:28 PM »

I think that some of you are taking my examples to literally.  I do no video nor do I do any audio.  But just because I do not does that make any problems others have with it not valid?  NO.  I think that D-Link has a responsibility to their customers that buy their products to make their firmware work. And, when problems show up to fix them as quick as they can.  Does anyone think that one year is quickly?

As for FTP over SSL I did check to see if it was advertised.  When I checked the firmware it said that it was added to the firmware in one of the releases.  To me that makes it an advertised function of the unit and should work correctly.  Anytime anything extra is added in a firmware upgrade it, as far as I am concerned, becomes an advertised function of the unit.

Sure the backup of the drive to a usb drive was not advertised but D-Link says that you should not rely on your DNS-323 to be your backup and I agree with that. But does D-Link provide us any way to backup the unit? No.  From what I have seen from some of the posts it can be done through ffp so why can't D-Link do it for us? Other manufacturers with this price unit does provide USB backup.  As for the built-in backup for backing up computers to the DNS-323 is a advertised feature and it DOES NOT work.

Some have said that it is a old unit and new features do not need to be added but the last time I checked D-Link is still selling it.  Therefore, it is not a old unit it is a CURRENT unit and as such it should have current and fully functioning firmware without a list of known bugs.

As for the WD 4K hard drive problem I am afraid that I would have fell into the same pitfall as others.  The DNS-323 is advertised to handle a 2TB hard drive, by firmware upgrade, and I would have purchased the WD drives and had the same problem.

Who fault it is it does not matter if they cannot handle ALL the 2TB hard drives than they should not advertise any of them. If a customer wants to come to this forum and discover that they can use some manufacturers then that is their option. In my lifetime I have purchased a lot of computer equipment and I have went to manufacturers website to check it out but I have NEVER went to a forum to find a list of approved equipment. I don't think that most of you would either unless you have been burned.

I think that D-Link has let us down and is continuing to do so. I feel sorry for the individual who decides that he wants a NAS. He then goes to a retailer buys a DNS-323 version C1 with 2- WD 2TB hard drives with 4k.  Now how much fun is he going to have with his $500 purchase.

Wake up D-Link before it is to late.

Terry

rector

• Level 2 Member
« Reply #20 on: May 27, 2010, 10:51:03 PM »

Hi, I agree with the above, I have a 323 that will not show on the network unless the configuration menu is entered and exited (nothing is changed) Changing host file seemed to work for one day? This is the most useless piece of sh** ive actually had to pay money for.

Looks like ill now have to go and buy a product fit for purpose

junk
« Last Edit: May 27, 2010, 10:58:22 PM by rector »

Rodent

• Level 3 Member
« Reply #21 on: May 27, 2010, 11:02:06 PM »

And what about feature that this unit had when you purchased it, that work just the way one wants, but has to upgrade the firmware to use 2TB HDD's and than that feature is removed...

i.e. After upgrading, anonymous shares while having access controlled shares is unavailable.

R.

jamieburchell

• Level 6 Member
« Reply #22 on: May 28, 2010, 12:49:16 AM »

Hi, I agree with the above, I have a 323 that will not show on the network unless the configuration menu is entered and exited (nothing is changed) Changing host file seemed to work for one day? This is the most useless piece of sh** ive actually had to pay money for.

Looks like ill now have to go and buy a product fit for purpose

junk

How do you explain the thousands of users that don't have this problem vs you?
It's not typical of this box but likely a fault with YOURS or your environment. We'd see alot more posts if that were the case.

As for advertised features, don't forget features added after purchase are a bonus and are FREE. That said, I agree they should work :)

I'm struggling to understand why some of you would purchase something that doesn't do what you want it to do.

The box DOES support most manufacturers hard drives and sizes, but not the new, bespoke, special WD advanced format drives. Get over it and buy a Seagate :)
« Last Edit: May 28, 2010, 01:14:56 AM by jamieburchell »
If your little 323 is not working right,
You've racked your brains and been up all night
Take a deep breath and wipe away the sweat,
Login as web admin and try a factory reset!

gunrunnerjohn

• Level 11 Member
« Reply #23 on: May 28, 2010, 05:53:06 AM »

If anyone had bothered to look at the WD website, you'd realize that WD are the ones that changed the drive characteristics sufficiently to cause all NAS manufacturer's headaches.  I doubt that D-Link is the only ones that are making the same statement.

All the bellyaching in the world isn't going to change the facts, time to move on.
Microsoft MVP - Windows Desktop Experience
Remember: Data you don't have two copies of is data you don't care about!
PS: RAID of any level is NOT a second copy.

Biscotte

• Level 2 Member
« Reply #24 on: May 28, 2010, 07:11:14 AM »

All,

I think there is more heat being generated than light. 

D-Link said they would open up their add-on packages.  Hence the more talented amoungst us, such as Fonz could write their own scripts.  In turn, these would no doubt be distributed on these fora and everyone benefits.  It would mean say, USB hard disc plug ins could be programmed and installed; auto backups; and a load of other useful functions. 

When D-Link make good that promise, I think a lot of the moaning and groaning may very well go away.

Biscotte

MyDNS323

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #25 on: May 28, 2010, 07:43:21 AM »

If anyone had bothered to look at the WD website, you'd realize that WD are the ones that changed the drive characteristics sufficiently to cause all NAS manufacturer's headaches.  I doubt that D-Link is the only ones that are making the same statement.

All the bellyaching in the world isn't going to change the facts, time to move on.

I don't think that is the point. 4K drives are what everyone will be offering in the near future. WD is the first out of the gate, and Seagate stated in March 2010 that all of their drives released after January 2011 would be 4k formatted. Furthermore, Synology and Drobo already support 4K drives and Netgear has publicly stated that they are working on supporting them. Indeed, D-Link's current public statement is that they "regret to inform you that we can not support Western Digital’s new Desktop disk drives with Advanced Formatting Technology".

I think the issue is that D-Link is currently focusing on uploading to the cloud (granted, that beta came out in Feb), versus publicly stating that they are fixing the 4k issue, fixing existing bugs, offering features they said they would offer or working on features the community is asking for.

The goal is to get D-Link it see this. So far, they've been sitting on the sidelines very quietly...

D-Link Multimedia

• Poweruser
  • Level 7 Member
    • D-link Systems, Inc.
« Reply #26 on: May 28, 2010, 07:56:23 AM »

Did you read the post that was stickied? You misunderstood that it has nothing to do with the fact of us wanting to support their drives. It is their opposition of drives being supported in a NAS and lack of support for NAS manufacturers. We are happy to work with other manufacturers that want to distribute 4K drives and will support their usage in a NAS.

gunrunnerjohn

• Level 11 Member
« Reply #27 on: May 28, 2010, 08:19:12 AM »

I think we have reading comprehension issues. :)
Microsoft MVP - Windows Desktop Experience
Remember: Data you don't have two copies of is data you don't care about!
PS: RAID of any level is NOT a second copy.

MyDNS323

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #28 on: May 28, 2010, 01:39:55 PM »

Did you read the post that was stickied? You misunderstood that it has nothing to do with the fact of us wanting to support their drives. It is their opposition of drives being supported in a NAS and lack of support for NAS manufacturers. We are happy to work with other manufacturers that want to distribute 4K drives and will support their usage in a NAS.

WD doesn't officially support ANY desktop drive installs to external enclosures:
"Although WD hard drives should work properly in external enclosures or Personal/Digital Video Recorders, we are not able to provide technical support for drives in this configuration beyond suggested jumper settings and warranty replacement. "

I'm less concerned about whether or not WD "officially" supports your device and more concerned about the fact that you don't have 4k support AT ALL.

Assuming that WD isn't singling out D-Link, the lack of official support for NAS or RAID hasn't affected your competition. QNAP, Synology and Drobo all support 4K drives. Netgear has officially committed to working on it.

« Last Edit: May 28, 2010, 01:45:01 PM by MyDNS323 »

fordem

• Level 10 Member
« Reply #29 on: May 28, 2010, 03:36:52 PM »

hey fordem,

you mention it isn't an advertised feature,  based on this link i would say it is advertised, hence where i got my information from ... if you look under simplified management or do a search for backup you will see the following:

SIMPLIFIED MANAGEMENT
The DNS-323 can automatically back up your data regardless of your computer’s operating system (Windows®, Mac®, or Linux®). For Windows users, the included feature-rich backup software can help you create schedules and rules including real-time full or incremental backups and storage quotas for specific users and groups

http://www.dlink.ca/products/?pid=DNS-323

Klien

You can quote any link you want - it's not going to make a difference - what you need to do is READ & UNDERSTAND the discussion at hand.

What you are linking to is an advertised feature to backup a computer - the discussion is about backing up the DNS-323 itself.
RAID1 is for disk redundancy - NOT data backup - don't confuse the two.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5