• April 19, 2024, 12:49:50 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Author Topic: Wake on Lan (LAN only)  (Read 6680 times)

Asimov

• Level 1 Member
Wake on Lan (LAN only)
« on: October 02, 2009, 02:10:23 PM »

Hello,

I recently bought my d-link dir-855 to replace my old thomson adsl modem/router. I have been using wake on lan for several computer in my home network for years successfully. But with the new d-link router I can not get it to work properly.

I can wake the computers successfully immediately after I shutdown the computers but not when the are off for a longer period.

I read that this could have something to do with the MAC address falling out of the ARP table after sometime. My question is: does this also apply to a local network or only with wake on lan over the Internet?

I also read that I would need a L2 network to make it work. But can someone explain what a L2 network is?

Just to make it clear: I need WOL at the local network only, not over Internet.

Thanks a lot for any advice you could give me.

Asimov

Fatman

• Level 9 Member
Re: Wake on Lan (LAN only)
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2009, 02:29:22 PM »

First off, awesome name.

Second, devices fall off the router's ARP table regardless of where you will want to wake them from.  Though they may not fall off of your PCs ARP table if you have a static entry.

If you on the LAN you can use

IP broadcast 255.255.255.255

IP network broadcast 192.168.0.255 (assuming your PC is 192.168.0.x subnet 255.255.255.0)

the Ethernet broadcast Address ff-ff-ff-ff-ff-ff

The target's IP Address (assuming you have a static ARP entry on your PC)

The target's MAC address (that's the L2 network bit you heard about)

Any of the above will work, though depending on how you are generating your WOL packets you may only be able to use a subset of these.
non progredi est regredi

Asimov

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2009, 02:47:06 PM »

Thanks Fatman, I like the name to, and the writer!

I realize that the devices falling out of the ARP table will happen regardless of what you do. But I was wondering whether that is only of influence when you want to use wol over Internet.

I have always been using the wolcmd util from the depicus site. With this utility you specify target ip address, subnet mask and mac address.

My subnet is 192.168.0.x and with wolcmd I use: xxxxxxxxxxxx 192.168.0.215 255.255.255.0
(x's being the mac address)

But still after a while it won't work anymore.

So, do I need a static ARP table on the computer I use to wake the other machines? Can you tell me how to create this static ARP table?

Thanks for being  helpfull!

Fatman

• Level 9 Member
« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2009, 03:22:57 PM »

According to the site for wolcmd you can use the broadcast address with this syntax.

wolcmd [macaddress] 255.255.255.255 255.255.255.255
non progredi est regredi

Asimov

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2009, 12:54:16 AM »

I allready tried different combinations with wolcmd, including the one you mention. I doesn't wake up the computer...

What I really want to know is: should wol in a lan work with this router (if configured properly) or do the same problems apply as with wol over the internet?

As I mentioned before, it works for some time after a shutdown, but not after a longer period.

Fatman

• Level 9 Member
« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2009, 08:57:25 AM »

Try a different WOL application, any of the methods I specified should work.
non progredi est regredi