• April 24, 2024, 10:49:08 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Author Topic: Truly bizarre new performance problem.  (Read 4694 times)

azz710

• Level 2 Member
Truly bizarre new performance problem.
« on: February 23, 2009, 02:01:02 PM »

Folks,

My DIR-855 is running under firmware version 1.11.  I haven't upgraded to 1.12 as I don't need to use the USB port and I understand that USB port support is the only change.

I'm connected, via a Motorola SBV-5120 cable modem, to Cablevision Systems' Optimum Online Boost service, which is supposed to give me 30 MBPS downstream and about 4MBPS upstream.  And, until three days ago, it did.

Then, all of a sudden, my downstream speed is down to 1.5MBPS to 9MBPS and my upstream speed appears to be roughly 1.1MBPS most of the time.

As a result, I just spent the day with Cablevision personnel (four of them), trying to solve the problem.  In the process, I discovered that, for the first time, if I connect my main PC directly to the cable modem, bypassing the DIR-855, I get advertised speeds!  In the past, when I had speed problems, bypassing my router made no difference.

Something has changed, and it's not the router or any of the router's settings.  If anyone can suggest why this might be happening, I'd be very, very grateful!

UPDATE: I tried replacing my DIR-855 with my old DIR-635 and, lo and behold, the problem disappeared.

Regards,
Jeff
« Last Edit: February 23, 2009, 02:28:20 PM by azz710 »

Lycan

• Administrator
  • Level 15 Member
Re: Truly bizarre new performance problem.
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2009, 04:01:37 PM »

disable the QoS and test it again.

azz710

• Level 2 Member
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2009, 04:36:07 AM »

Dear Lycan,

Alas, I did that, and it didn't help.  And, the DIR-635 performs as well with the QoS engine on as off, just as the DIR-855 performs as badly with it on as off.  I am baffled, for nothing on this end changed.  The cable modem might've been updated remotely, however, and whatever changed, if anything, might have triggered a bug, I suppose.  Still, my cable company cannot tell me whether or not the cable modem was updated, so that's just a vague, rather unlikely possibility.

Regards,
Jeff

Arturo

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2009, 04:07:42 AM »

Dear Lycan,

Alas, I did that, and it didn't help.  And, the DIR-635 performs as well with the QoS engine on as off, just as the DIR-855 performs as badly with it on as off.  I am baffled, for nothing on this end changed.  The cable modem might've been updated remotely, however, and whatever changed, if anything, might have triggered a bug, I suppose.  Still, my cable company cannot tell me whether or not the cable modem was updated, so that's just a vague, rather unlikely possibility.

Regards,
Jeff

I don't know if this will solve it, you can try

I have a cable modem with 50Mbps/3Mbs internet connection with Dlink 855. If I leave "connection type" to AUTO & also "Automatic Uplink speed" to AUTO it will slow down my connection about 60%. Use manual selection.