• March 28, 2024, 09:51:16 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Author Topic: DNS server  (Read 6817 times)

codebros

• Level 1 Member
DNS server
« on: December 30, 2008, 11:21:03 PM »

Hello,

I'd like to set up an internal DNS server on my DIR-825. Is there any way to do this?
Any information would be helpful.
If there are no way to do this by using built-in functionality, I will appreciate for pointing me to community modding resources, existing fun_mods or at least HOWTOs on modifying firmware.

Thanks,
    Anton.

EddieZ

• Level 10 Member
Re: DNS server
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2009, 04:51:08 PM »

No modding community for the Dlink Xtreme series yet. The code is not GPL, so it's encrypted.

You can configure an attached PC as DNS server, no problem. But the DIR is and will not be a full DNS server. These are just home router models.
It is advised to turn off the small DNS function of the DIR (called DNS Relay) since it can cause some delays.
« Last Edit: January 08, 2009, 04:53:11 PM by EddieZ »
DIR-655 H/W: A2 FW: 1.33

lotacus

• Level 4 Member
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2009, 07:42:59 PM »

all great dns servers are computers. :) but whats the point. Use Open DNS.

memphis2k

« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2009, 07:58:38 PM »

+1

You may be able to set this up even better in the DDNS setting... kinda hard to do.  I did this on IPCOP and it worked great.  On my DIR-825 I got ZoneEdit.com working for my domain name in the DDNS spot, but you can only have one DDNS setup.  IPCOP let me have two... one for ZoneEdit.com and OpenDNS.

Alphaman

• Level 1 Member
    • AaroBlog
« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2009, 02:15:30 PM »

OpenDNS sucks -- when a host is not listed, it gives its own server as an address rather than failing.  That may be cool for newbs surfing to a web page, but try fat-fingering a name when you're doing ftp or setting up an smtp server or ssh to another system.  You get weird error messages.

And performance of off-site DNS servers will always be slower than a local host.  I recently ran some tests and published my results comparing local DNS, OpenDNS, DynDNS, and Comcast's default DNS.  A local caching bind server rules!

But, back to the OP's question: Yes, you can setup a local DNS.  But there's a bug in the v1.01 fw on the DIR-825 that prevents DHCP clients from getting the IP address of the DNS server.  Even if you Enable DNS Relay, it doesn't go to your local bind server.   It looks like the v1.10 beta firmware will do that, but I can't see losing my 802.11b capabilities for that.

So, there's no easy answer at this time.  At least not for me!

Alphaman

• Level 1 Member
    • AaroBlog
« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2009, 02:22:29 PM »

FYI, 1.11 works great for this.

Go to Setup, Internet, Manual Internet Connection Setup.  If you've a Dynamic IP Internet connection type, then you can specify up to 2 DNS/bind servers.  I took the one my ISP provided, set that as secondary (for backup in case my internal system should ever go down), and set my internal private bind server as the primary.

If you don't know what your ISP's bind server is, just go to the Status page -- you should be able to find it there.

Whatever you set for your Internet connection is relayed to DHCP clients automatically.

Lycan

• Administrator
  • Level 15 Member
« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2009, 10:01:53 AM »

Are you saying that you specified a LAN side address in the DNS server settings and it worked?