• April 19, 2024, 08:43:32 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Author Topic: No WAN ping respond? Really? +More issues  (Read 4578 times)

DAOWAce

• Level 1 Member
No WAN ping respond? Really? +More issues
« on: March 06, 2015, 01:48:30 AM »

Preface: I'm not gonna talk that nicely about this router.
---

I finally switched out my old DGL-4100 for various reasons (issue troubleshooting here) for the new 5500, against my better judgement it seems.

I've have a network monitoring tool running that pings my IP from 3 different locations across the US. This lets me see how my connection is fairing across the internet in the US.  I've been using it since 2007.

First off, the router lacks WAN ping respond.  This is just unacceptable.  Numerous tools need WAN ping respond, and in my case, one that's very valuable to me.  This is the first router I've ever seen that lacked this option.  Why?

Second: The UI is absolutely atrocious.  It's laid out terribly, it has pointless animations that distract and waste time, it takes 5x longer to load the pages (and the graphical ones use 3D rendering and take even longer to load), it TIMES YOU OUT IN 3 MINUTES, the virtual server and port forward layout is absolutely atrocious compared to the 4100/4300/4500 routers (seriously, a set limit all shown at once vs something you can simply add rows to in one click?), the help system DOESN'T SHOW HELP for anything ("to be done.") except Streamboost, and just so much more. It's just.. horrid.  Absolutely horrid.  Granted the look of it is similar to the old routers, but the overall layout of everything, the way it functions and the complete lack of numerous features from the previous router that this succeeded is just abhorrent.

Special mention to the 'log' and lack of active session list for diagnostics.  The log is pathetic.  It lists 10 entries at a time and uses a page feature.  Switching pages/clearing REFRESHES THE PAGE IN THE BROWSER.  Add to that the fact it doesn't even log connections anymore.. it is absolutely worthless.

Oh, did I mention it has you wait 10-50 seconds to change options that are actually instant?  Then requires you to click continue after waiting?  Then times you out after 3 minutes requiring you to log back in? And doesn't bring you back to the page you were at? And wipes every option you changed if you didn't save it within those 3 minutes? Yeah..

Checking this page just shows me things really aren't going well for the router and possibly never will: http://forums.dlink.com/index.php?topic=55014.msg250453#msg250453

The 5500 is a complete and total downgrade to the 4100, released over 10 years ago and has been in my use for almost that length of time.  If the switch out doesn't resolve my issue, then I'm returning it ASAP.  I'll lose my speed again (120Mbps line, 4100 isn't gigabit, limited to 92Mbps), but at least I'd be comfortable with the router's management and diagnostics again.

I guess it's about time I get a router that supports DD-WRT, as it's clear D-Link are nowhere near the company they used to be.  The DIR series have an even more dumbed down UI if you can believe it.  Shame everything's using buggy Broadcom chips nowadays.. but at least I don't need wireless.
« Last Edit: March 09, 2015, 10:38:33 AM by FurryNutz »

FurryNutz

• Poweruser
  •   ▲
    ▲ ▲
  • D-Link Global Forum Moderator
    • Router Troubleshooting
Re: No WAN ping respond? Really? +More issues
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2015, 07:58:56 AM »

At least you tried it.

Thanks for the feed back.

Good Luck.
Cable: 1Gb/50Mb>NetGear CM1200>DIR-882>HP 24pt Gb Switch. COVR-1202/2202/3902,DIR-2660/80,3xDGL-4500s,DIR-LX1870,857,835,827,815,890L,880L,868L,836L,810L,685,657,3x655s,645,628,601,DNR-202L,DNS-345,DCS-933L,936L,960L and 8000LH.

DAOWAce

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2015, 10:12:01 AM »

Where'd my posts (in fact, all the recent posts) go that were in the thread I linked?

Turns out the router swap actually fixed the issue.

Though, of course I have zero diagnostic tools that shows me what the router is doing with connections, so I can't see if ICMP packets are still being blocked or if connecting to myself on different ports is being blocked.  And the latest firmware is also spamming the log with pe_loop events, so even trying to look at it in the hope it shows something is a waste of time.

Why did it fix it? I don't know.

SPI isn't enabled by default and I didn't enable it yet.  The two options for filtering aren't there (port&address restricted, address, endpoint independent), so I have no idea what mode the 5500 operates in.  Based on this, I assume if I disable SPI and/or change the filtering mode the 4100 will work just fine; but I don't know.

I've been reading this thread about alternative firmware: http://forums.dlink.com/index.php?topic=61634.0

If it actually works, I might try flashing it, as the stock UI is so bad I don't even login to the router anymore.  Edit: Nevermind, don't want to bother dealing with SSH tunneling and installing a GUI. Trying to get something setup on Amazon EC2 and failing miserably was bad enough.

As for Streamboost.. it doesn't detect any game I've tried playing so far, and I'm opted in to updates. It's all listed under 'general traffic'.  Of course, I can't see priorities on individual traffic or connections or even know if ports are forwarded properly as again, the diagnostic features of this stock firmware are nearly nonexistent, so if it is prioritizing the actual connection but isn't showing it in the UI, I'll never know.

Oh and of course it times you out after 3 minutes, so just sitting testing things is a complete and total PITA that makes me not want to bother.
« Last Edit: March 09, 2015, 11:35:04 AM by DAOWAce »

FurryNutz

• Poweruser
  •   ▲
    ▲ ▲
    • Router Troubleshooting
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2015, 10:47:46 AM »

The link is corrected now.

There are a few features that were not compatible with SB so some of the features you saw in the DGL-4100 may not be on the 5500 since it's a complete new code. SB is owned and developed by Qualcomm and D-Link integrates it in to the FW. So based on QCs code, some of the other D-Link features every one is used too, maybe incompatible with the SB engine.

D-Link removed EndPoint options a while ago and hasn't put them back in on most of there newer generation router. I presume it maybe automatic now on the back end or maybe running Independent mode since most users saw better operations using Endpoint Independent. I don't know even if that feature is in this FW and how the Firewall is set up for security policies and design. All I know is that SPI seems to work as designed for simplified use, ON or OFF.

Give StreamBoost time to update and populate from the servers and integrate your games.

3 minutes is a security measure D-Link has had for a while since the DGL-4500 I believe and is now on all routers.
Cable: 1Gb/50Mb>NetGear CM1200>DIR-882>HP 24pt Gb Switch. COVR-1202/2202/3902,DIR-2660/80,3xDGL-4500s,DIR-LX1870,857,835,827,815,890L,880L,868L,836L,810L,685,657,3x655s,645,628,601,DNR-202L,DNS-345,DCS-933L,936L,960L and 8000LH.

DAOWAce

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2015, 11:12:38 AM »

I don't understand the admin timeout.

You're logged in as an admin with a custom password on a LAN device.  It shouldn't time out in 3 minutes.  If your security is compromised to the point where someone has access to your LAN in the first place, then you've got more things to worry about than someone getting access to a device you're using that's currently logged into the router less than 3 minutes ago.

I just cannot see any justification for this immensely short timeout window, that can't even be configured to boot.

Also, if all these other features aren't compatible with Streamboost, then why don't they just get disabled when streamboost is enabled instead of being void from the firmware entirely?  It doesn't even make any sense that such features like WAN ping respond or a list of active connections wouldn't be compatible with a QoS technology.  Hell, I technically use something like Streamboost on my PC with my Killer NIC.  QCA bought Killer and used their technology; it's basically the same thing as far as I'm aware, just on the router level instead of the local PC.  I can still monitor every single connection going through the NIC with something as simple as tcpview.

I will do more testing over the next few weeks, but now I've got an ASUS RT-AC87U sitting around for me to switch to if I'm utterly dissatisfied with the DGL-5500.  Though I may send it back for a 66 since that one has official DD-WRT support whereas the 87 is still in beta development.. and buggy.  (Hopefully the Merlin firmware is good enough)

I'm getting into unknown territory and I'm anxious about it.

FurryNutz

• Poweruser
  •   ▲
    ▲ ▲
    • Router Troubleshooting
« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2015, 11:28:49 AM »

I supposed you can call and ask D-Link directly about the timeout. it's been this way for a while and I presume It won't be going away unless users can persuade D-Link HQ to change there minds.

There is a set limit on router resources so any additional features would take up room for those that were not compatible. Dev coding logic is always to keep the code streamlined and with in resource limits for each product. This is standard coding for most Mfrs. Theres no need to leave in code thats not used or incompatible. Doesn't make sense this way. There is a fine balance to development.

Well simply, this router is pretty much simplified for home users and the average user. All other advanced features seen on the older generation were removed for compatibility reasons and simplification of use and seems to be directed more towards the less advanced users. Again these are home class routers and most home users want to set up and go with little or no hassle for the most part. I think the advanced people are used to using what D-Link had in the past on older generation router and going forward in the new generation routers, D-Link is taking a different approach. The HW is good and most of the features work well, it's just the more advanced users are having to deal with less features or having less advanced controls with the router. It's D-links show and they put in what they feel. We can help them with requests and voice our concerns, however they carry the pink slip.  ::)
« Last Edit: March 19, 2015, 07:02:53 AM by FurryNutz »