• March 29, 2024, 12:07:55 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Firmware update??  (Read 31898 times)

tshaff09

• Level 1 Member
Firmware update??
« on: April 07, 2009, 02:33:44 PM »

??? Any news on firmware updates coming out?

Bushwacr

Re: Firmware update??
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2009, 07:54:40 AM »

Darn good question.

There were items left unfixed in 1.06 like the album art and a fix for the fonts so users could read more than 10 frikkin' letters on the screen.

There's also an issue with its ability to properly handle video durations and cutting off early.

I assume DLink has dropped the ball on this product.  Honestly, I stopped buying Dlink stuff over this and the total bad support quality.

I think they are trying to herd everyone to their Vista extender, the 750, which isn't even sold down the way due to lack of interest.

tjd

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2009, 02:55:04 PM »

thought about buying a 750, but after the support on 520(see my other posts) its the old saying "fool me once shame on you, fool me twice shame on me!"

buzz

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2009, 04:12:59 PM »

I was so happy to see that D-Link issued a Beta firmware for my DNS-321 that for me, works quite well so much as to that I went out and ordered a second DNS-321.
But, like so many other DSM-520 owners I am waiting for a new firmware even if it is also a beta.

D-Link: Can you give us a hint to let us know if this is even in the works?!? WE WANT TO BE LOYAL TO YOUR PRODUCTS BUT YOU NEED TO DO THIS SO WE STAY WITH YOUR BRAND. Please respond.

ECF

• Administrator
  • Level 11 Member
« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2009, 01:59:47 PM »

I am not clear to what you are asking works? If you are asking if the DSM-520 and DNS-321 work together Yes they work great! but the mention you are purchasing a second unit would leave me to believe you have already played with it and realized that.
Never forget that only dead fish swim with the stream

Bushwacr

« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2009, 06:21:22 AM »

I am not clear to what you are asking works? If you are asking if the DSM-520 and DNS-321 work together Yes they work great! but the mention you are purchasing a second unit would leave me to believe you have already played with it and realized that.

The question is "Are any firmware updates in progress for the DSM 520 to fix the holes it still has?"  Or is the 520 dead?  Read the entire thread from the beginning.

Willobee

• Level 2 Member
« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2009, 06:22:28 AM »

ECF

Buzz is asking this....

Is D-Link working on a firmware update for the DSM 520?

Obviuosly a Yes or No answer is what everyone is asking for.

Or a second whay to phrase the question is, Has D-Link stopped firmware development for the DSM 520?

Another Yes or No answer.

HotelCalifornia

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2009, 03:20:34 PM »

It is obvious to me they have dropped all work on the DSM-520 product line. Take what you have and be happy with what it can do - just remember this support (or lack thereof) next time you go shopping. I'll be getting a different name brand (can you say Cisco/Linksys).

tshaff09

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #8 on: April 21, 2009, 12:29:51 PM »

Has anyone ever tried flashing the dsm-520 with the DSM-720 firmware? Someone on another forum suggested the hardware was basically the same, except the wifi device. Would it blow up the 520 so bad that it wouldn't recover at all? ???

Willobee

• Level 2 Member
« Reply #9 on: April 22, 2009, 06:58:20 PM »

I think if you research futher you will find that the hardware in the 750 that crunches the video is an upgraded version of the hardware in the 520 i.e. the 750 hardware can handle h.264 content and due to a hardware limitation the 520 cannot. Therefore I would not recommend doing this unless you are so frustrated with the 520 that making it toast is not a problem for you.

fccgrant

• Level 2 Member
« Reply #10 on: April 23, 2009, 10:34:59 AM »

The DSM-520 and the DSM-750 are two different animals.  The DSM-750 has a different chipset to handle higher bit rate video compared to the DSM-520.  If you are a gambling man and don't mind possibly bricking your DSM-520 then go for it.

Oh...and don't forget to tell us how it turned out.    Matter of fact,  YouTube it so we can all watch.  :)

buzz

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #11 on: April 25, 2009, 07:32:52 AM »

First of all, Thanks Willobee for this response:
"ECF

Buzz is asking this....

Is D-Link working on a firmware update for the DSM 520?

Obviously a Yes or No answer is what everyone is asking for.

Or a second way to phrase the question is, Has D-Link stopped firmware development for the DSM 520?

Another Yes or No answer."

I mentioned that D-Link has done new firmware for other products recently and it was a simple "Is it in the works or planned for this product?"

Joker1234

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #12 on: May 01, 2009, 06:55:10 AM »

It's funny that this forum post is here.  I personally have 5 Dlink DSM-520's.  And they are a great product.  I have never been to these forums till today.  I remember some time last year I did a search on google about Dlink DSM-520 supporting Netflix.  And in there it said they were working on it and it should be out in fall of 2008.

As far as I can tell, this never happened.

Yesterday, my neighbor asked me to set him up the way I have my media in my house.  I recommended the Linksys product due to Dlink proving they no longer support updates on this product.

Tomorrow he is coming over here and we are buying 3 Media Servers from Linksys.

Bushwacr

« Reply #13 on: May 01, 2009, 07:18:17 AM »

It's funny that this forum post is here.  I personally have 5 Dlink DSM-520's.  And they are a great product.  I have never been to these forums till today.  I remember some time last year I did a search on google about Dlink DSM-520 supporting Netflix.  And in there it said they were working on it and it should be out in fall of 2008.

As far as I can tell, this never happened.

Yesterday, my neighbor asked me to set him up the way I have my media in my house.  I recommended the Linksys product due to Dlink proving they no longer support updates on this product.

Tomorrow he is coming over here and we are buying 3 Media Servers from Linksys.

Let us know how those work relative to the 520.  I stopped buying or recommending Dlink a while back because of bad support.  We use Playon and love it except for the font issue and need compatible devices.

Joker1234

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #14 on: May 01, 2009, 07:51:27 AM »

Yes I tried Playon and for me it was clunky at best.  I beta'd it though so it many have became better with the completed version.  But I decided if DLink wasn't going to release the Netflix supported software then I would just get something else the next time I buy a Media Server.  I have 5 Dlink DSM-520's and I have 8 TV's.  I plan to buy 3 Media servers of some type in the future.
Pages: [1] 2 3