• March 28, 2024, 07:11:38 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Author Topic: Factory Reset Router and firmware upgrade  (Read 8048 times)

SMRPGFAN101

• Level 1 Member
Factory Reset Router and firmware upgrade
« on: May 31, 2018, 11:10:23 PM »

I'm curious on what other information I'll need to make this as smooth as possible. Keep in mind that I'm not the most technically literate. I've a D-Link Router and would like to factory reset it because of the VPNFilter scare. I'm using the default password I got with it outside of packaging for wifi and also have the name/SSID (they're the same). As it was two years ago, I do not remember receiving an install disk or cannot find it. I'm being told to visit "192.168.0.1" to start the router up again. I do not remember the password or username, so how would I log in? I'm also being told to update the firmware and disable remote administrative access. I don't even know if I have this enabled or disabled in the first place. I also live in Canada if that makes any difference.

Will I need the GPL code again with a factory reset?

In the meantime I'll be rebooting the router by taking the cord out of it (the one next to the ethernet cable with the smaller cylinder plug) once a day. I'd like to get all the information I can as I'll be unable to access the internet outside of work once the factory reset starts.

michaelkenward

• Level 1 Member
Re: Factory Reset Router and firmware upgrade
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2018, 02:20:40 AM »

Just track down the manual for your  D-Link Router. It should guide you through the process.

You don't say what model the router is, and your message seems to be in a section for Network Cameras, so you may not get much m ore detailed advice than that.

FurryNutz

• Poweruser
  •   ▲
    ▲ ▲
  • D-Link Global Forum Moderator
    • Router Troubleshooting
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2018, 06:40:49 AM »

Link>Welcome!

What model D-Link router do you have?

• What Hardware version is your router? Look at sticker under the router case.
  • Link>What Firmware version is currently loaded? Found on the routers web page under status.
  • What region are you located?

Regarding VPNFilter problem, please review this:
http://forums.dlink.com/index.php?topic=73734.0

Regarding FW updates, please review this:
Link> >FW Update Process

I'm curious on what other information I'll need to make this as smooth as possible. Keep in mind that I'm not the most technically literate. I've a D-Link Router and would like to factory reset it because of the VPNFilter scare. I'm using the default password I got with it outside of packaging for wifi and also have the name/SSID (they're the same). As it was two years ago, I do not remember receiving an install disk or cannot find it. I'm being told to visit "192.168.0.1" to start the router up again. I do not remember the password or username, so how would I log in? I'm also being told to update the firmware and disable remote administrative access. I don't even know if I have this enabled or disabled in the first place. I also live in Canada if that makes any difference.

Will I need the GPL code again with a factory reset?

In the meantime I'll be rebooting the router by taking the cord out of it (the one next to the ethernet cable with the smaller cylinder plug) once a day. I'd like to get all the information I can as I'll be unable to access the internet outside of work once the factory reset starts.
« Last Edit: June 01, 2018, 06:44:16 AM by FurryNutz »
Cable: 1Gb/50Mb>NetGear CM1200>DIR-882>HP 24pt Gb Switch. COVR-1202/2202/3902,DIR-2660/80,3xDGL-4500s,DIR-LX1870,857,835,827,815,890L,880L,868L,836L,810L,685,657,3x655s,645,628,601,DNR-202L,DNS-345,DCS-933L,936L,960L and 8000LH.

GreenBay42

• Administrator
  • Level 11 Member
« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2018, 07:05:07 AM »

To reset your router back to the factory default settings, use a paperclip and while the router is on, hold the paperclip into the reset hole, usually in the back or bottom of the router. Hold for 10 seconds and release. You should see LED activity. In most cases the power LED will blink orange or red, depending on the model router.

Wait about 2 minutes.

Open a web browser such as internet explorer and enter http://dlinkrouter.local. or the IP address (dlink defaults to http://192.168.0.1). Note this is not a website on the internet, it is directly on the router itself. This will erase all your settings.

Depending on your router, the setup wizard will launch or you will get a login screen. The default username is admin and leave the password box blank.

DO NOT use any of the default settings. Write down your WI-Fi network name (SSID) and password, as well as the router's password which will all be created during the setup wizard.

Make sure your network name is not something personal and remember the password is case-sensitive and can include spaces and special characters.