• April 16, 2024, 03:35:26 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Author Topic: DHCP Reservation vs Static IP Addresses ii  (Read 7710 times)

kengo

• Level 1 Member
DHCP Reservation vs Static IP Addresses ii
« on: August 04, 2010, 09:44:46 AM »

I have a DIR-825, but this is a general question about DHCP reservation.  I have about 20 devices on my network.  When I look at the device list under "network settings," the "hostname" for the computers are listed as their computer names, but I have a bunch of other devices listed as "unknown."  These are my TV, Blu-ray player, etc.  I can reserve an IP address in the DHCP section for each of them and type in the proper name.  That way, I can see all my devices listed by a real name (not "unknown").  This allows me to identify any rogue devices that might sneak onto the network since they would be in the dynamically assigned section. 

Questions:

Is it problematic to do DHCP reserving as a general practice?

When I reserve the DHCP address for a device, will the router automatically assign the new reserved IP address when it sees that particular macid coming online?  I don't have to set anything on the device itself, right (except for the device to receive an IP address automatically, which is usually the default)?

I have a printer that I have currently assigned a Static IP address (inside the printer).  I can put this address outside the DHCP range or I can put it inside the DHCP range but reserve the address.  Is there any difference or preference?

My configuration is:
Cable modem -> DIR-825 router -> dlink 24-port gigabit switch
then off the 24-port switch are:
DAP-1353 wireless access point extender
5-port dlink gigabit switch

I reserved an IP address for the 1353.  I also gave it a separate ssid.  Anything special I need to do with the 2 switches?  Ok, I'm really showing my ignorance now.

Thanks!

smlunatick

• Level 5 Member
Re: DHCP Reservation vs Static IP Addresses ii
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2010, 07:43:53 AM »

The one advantage of DHCP Reservation is that the devices will show up in the status screens of the router.  Static IP addresses are "invisible" to the router.  You need to create some list that have all your static IP addresses assigned.

orgwizard

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2010, 02:52:39 PM »

be curious if you ever ended up uing the dhcp reservations. I've been running 2.02na for a while, and found things like my xbox, woudl eratically drop their connections or not be able to connect to the media center when i did reservations.
once I turned them off...all started working fine.

kengo

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2010, 11:52:50 PM »

I reserved as much as I could, but the router doesn't take MAC IDs unless they begin with 00 (how's that for legacy firmware code! -- did the firmware upgrades address this? i'm on 2.0 ww i think).  So that left out a lot of my new gear.  My xbox (2 years old) is reserved though and I think it is fine (no word otherwise from the kids).

On a slightly separate note.  itunes home share does not work for computers connected through the wireless access point.  The IP addresses and subnets show that all the PCs are on the same network, but for some reason the extra hop knocks something out.  When I wire it, then it works.

FurryNutz

• Poweruser
  •   ▲
    ▲ ▲
  • D-Link Global Forum Moderator
    • Router Troubleshooting
« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2012, 11:23:35 AM »

Cable: 1Gb/50Mb>NetGear CM1200>DIR-882>HP 24pt Gb Switch. COVR-1202/2202/3902,DIR-2660/80,3xDGL-4500s,DIR-LX1870,857,835,827,815,890L,880L,868L,836L,810L,685,657,3x655s,645,628,601,DNR-202L,DNS-345,DCS-933L,936L,960L and 8000LH.