• April 19, 2024, 10:57:48 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Author Topic: I have a few questions about channels...  (Read 3325 times)

GEGCL

• Level 1 Member
I have a few questions about channels...
« on: December 19, 2009, 10:06:35 PM »

Is it better to enable auto channel scan, or should I set a specific channel, like ch. 1,6,8, etc.? What are your recommendations for 2.4GHz channel settings and 5.0GHz channel settings? One more thing, does anyone have a link to the 1.21NA Build 07 Beta Firmware? The one in the forum post seems to be dead...

Thanks!

lizzi555

• Level 5 Member
Re: I have a few questions about channels...
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2009, 11:29:42 PM »

Hi,

first the link: ftp://ftp.dlink.com/Gateway/dir855/Beta/Firmware/dir855_fw_121b07NA_beta.zip
It works  :)

I made better experience with auto channel scan in the 2.4 GHz frequencies but other users reported that only manual channel selection worked for them. So you have to try out what works best for you.

Best channels to use depend on what is used in your neighbourhood. Install a program like inSSIDer, Netstumbler or Vistumbler and you have an overview.

As each of the 11 (13 in Europe) channels has only 5MHz bandwidth but WLAN sends with 20 (40 with channel bonding) MHz it will occupy for example the channels 4,5,6,7,8 if you use channel 6.

So the three non overlapping channels are 1, 6 , 11
Best is to leave 5 channels between your neighbours wireless and yours - if possible.
Else use the channels with the weakest signals found by the programs.

For 5GHz you need to take less care as all channels are non overlapping. If your router does not use a free channel on its own, just select one manually.
But there is less  traffic.

GEGCL

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2009, 08:30:20 AM »

Oh thank you! I changed my channel to 11, it seems faster now (I think anyways). I don't know, the link still isn't working, I've tried everything! I get something about intranet settings, I enabled them, but the link is still dead... maybe I should use another browser??

GEGCL

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2009, 08:46:41 AM »

Actually, if the link works, can you download it and attach it in an e-mail for me??

My e-mail is gegcl@att.net

Thanks!!

lizzi555

• Level 5 Member
« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2009, 08:51:39 AM »

Mail sent