• April 26, 2024, 03:54:59 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Author Topic: Disappointed with the range of both 2.4GHz and 5Ghz  (Read 4459 times)

GeoDK

• Level 1 Member
Disappointed with the range of both 2.4GHz and 5Ghz
« on: June 10, 2009, 11:53:06 PM »

I recently got this 855 to replace my four year old Linksys 802.11g router hoping that the I would see an improvement on 2.4GHz networks as well as experience the tremendous speed of the 5GHz network. However, the 855 has less range and speed than my old Linksys and the 5Ghz network just does not work properly. I basically have to be in the same room to get high speed. If I just more to the next room, the 5GHz signal gets as slower or slower than the 2.4Ghz.

I obviously would not have gotten this router, if I had known this from the beginning.

My settings:
Wireless Band :2.4GHz Band
Wireless Radio :Enabled
802.11 Mode : Mixed 802.11n and 802.11g
Channel Width : Auto 20/40MHz
Channel :11
Secondary Channel :7
WISH : Active
Wi-Fi Protected Setup :Enabled/Configured
WPA2 only / AES Encryption

Wireless Band :5GHz Band
Wireless Radio :Enabled
802.11 Mode : 802.11n only
Channel Width : Auto 20/40MHz
Channel :36
Secondary Channel :40
WISH : Active
Wi-Fi Protected Setup :Enabled/Configured
WPA2 only / AES Encryption

I am on FW 1.20NA.

GeoDK

• Level 1 Member
Re: Disappointed with the range of both 2.4GHz and 5Ghz
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2009, 11:58:38 PM »

I might add that I am now currently sitting 1.5 meters from the router with my MacBook laptop. Signal strength is 62-72% on 5GHz. Impressive ???

thetoad30

• Level 2 Member
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2009, 11:50:27 AM »

Welcome to the club...

I purchased this router for the dual-band performance as well. Obviously, it's severely lacking. I want my money back, but that may require a small claims court appearance as I'm well past my 30-day return. Plus, tech support keeps their mouths shut when it comes to any performance issues with this router. I finally decided to take a risk with D-Link after avoiding them for years for more favorable Linksys products, but Cisco started to severely limit their routers after the "WRT" line (their new routers with irreplaceable antennas, clunky firmware, and limits to prevent using DD-WRT and other such derivitives) so I decided to switch to D-Link for the first time.

Sadly, it may be the one and only time I ever use D-Link again. The lack of communication and the hyped, over-priced hardware from D-Link only exacerbates the situation. How in the world they ever expected this router to be considered an "HD" streaming router is laughable. This thing can't even go through a standard 2x4 wood-and-drywall wall much less stream HD movies/TV across a house.

dkennedy

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2009, 05:31:40 PM »

I have to agree. I was fortunate enough to have amazon take mine back. I took my Dlink DIR-655 out of retirement and it still outperforms the 855 in distance, performance and reliability (although it too has it's quirks).

Cranium

• Level 2 Member
« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2009, 07:52:58 PM »

I've been running my 855 for about 6 months now and I've been satisfied with the range.

I was in a smaller house and my girlfriend lived next door.  I had a DAP-1522 bridging my network to her house on the 5GHz band.  The connection wasn't great but I had a solid connection and her son was able to play World of Warcraft on it all the time.  I also used my laptop at her house all the time on the 2.4GHz band.  It also worked fine.  Again, this was sending wireless next door....the distance was >50 feet and through 2 cinder block walls and several drywalls.

I just moved into a house that is much larger.  Two story and just over 3400 sq ft.  The house is prewired for networking and has a network/phone junction box in the utility room off of the garage.  With my laptop, I get very good signal strength from any point in the house and connect at 54Mbps (older laptop with only wireless G).

Oh yeah....the 855 is a 1st generation model so I don't know if that makes a difference.