• March 28, 2024, 03:08:58 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Author Topic: 932L, 942L poor in low light  (Read 7554 times)

leechap

• Level 1 Member
932L, 942L poor in low light
« on: December 17, 2013, 04:29:01 PM »

I have four cameras,  two 930L's, a 932L, and a 934L. I love the cameras and I am looking at all four in split screen mode now. The problem is that while the two 930L cameras maintain color and clarity under quite low light conditions, the moment the light begins to fade, the 4 red lights on the 932 and 934 units come on and the images go B&W, I just un/re-plugged the 932L and pointed it into a lit room, but it remains black and white. I thought the newer cameras were supposed to be better in low light but in my experience they're useless in low light.
« Last Edit: December 18, 2013, 11:10:38 AM by JavaLawyer »

JavaLawyer

• BETA Tester
  • Level 15 Member
  • D-Link Global Forum Moderator
    • FoundFootageCritic
Re: 932L, 942L poor in low light
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2013, 08:02:58 AM »

DCS-934L? Do you mean DCS-942L?
« Last Edit: December 18, 2013, 11:10:46 AM by JavaLawyer »
Find answers here: D-Link ShareCenter FAQ I D-Link Network Camera FAQ
There's no such thing as too many backups FFC

leechap

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2013, 10:35:49 AM »

Yes, of course, sorry. All four cameras are pointed through window glass at areas of our yard. During daytime all work the same, and very well. As the light wanes in the evening however, the 932L and 942L "night mode" 4 red lights come on, the images turn greyscale and all that is visible is reflections in the window. Meanwhile the 930L images remain excellent and in color for a long time. If I turn the 942L and point it into a dark room it is able to "see in the dark" which is cool, but it seems that unless I can find a setting to disable this night mode switchover, the cameras are limited in their usefulness as outside security cameras. I just hope I can find more 930L's if there is no solution.

JavaLawyer

• BETA Tester
  • Level 15 Member
    • FoundFootageCritic
« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2013, 10:54:08 AM »

The Day/Night mode switching judgement (as D-Link has coined the term) is fixed (i.e. unchangeable), leaving you at the mercy of the sensitivity of the on-board sensors. If you have no intention of using Night Mode, there is a solution that will allow you to permanently leave the DCS-932L and DCS-942L in Day Mode (color image/video, no red lights).

The simplest solution is to set the DCS-932L and DCS-942L to Always Day Mode, which will permanently disable the night vision, leaving the image/video in color and shutting the IR Illuminators (red lights)

To disable night mode on the DCS-932L (DCS-942L is similar), log into the DCS-932L web UI and navigate to SETUP > Day/Night Mode > DAY/NIGHT MODE SETTINGS > Always Day Mode

Other Cloud camera owners with similar concerns over window reflection have opted to purchase an external outdoor IR illuminator so the indoor cameras can see what's going on outside at night. If you want to continue using Night Mode with an external IR illuminator, you will need to cover the IR illuminators (red lights) on the DCS-932L and DCS-942L with electrical tape to avoid the reflection.
« Last Edit: December 18, 2013, 11:24:28 AM by JavaLawyer »

leechap

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2013, 12:35:18 PM »

That's great! That is exactly what I wanted. thank you!

JavaLawyer

• BETA Tester
  • Level 15 Member
    • FoundFootageCritic
« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2013, 04:56:02 PM »

I'm more than happy to help  ;)

Harley10-95

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #6 on: December 19, 2013, 07:19:35 AM »

Other Cloud camera owners with similar concerns over window reflection have opted to purchase an external outdoor IR illuminator so the indoor cameras can see what's going on outside at night. If you want to continue using Night Mode with an external IR illuminator, you will need to cover the IR illuminators (red lights) on the DCS-932L and DCS-942L with electrical tape to avoid the reflection.

...you have a good brand and type for example?
1x DCS-5222L
1x DCS-2132L
2x DCS-942L
1x DCS-932L

JavaLawyer

• BETA Tester
  • Level 15 Member
    • FoundFootageCritic
« Reply #7 on: December 19, 2013, 07:37:55 AM »

...you have a good brand and type for example?

I can't personally make any specific recommendations, but here are two threads discussing specifications and options:

JavaLawyer

• BETA Tester
  • Level 15 Member
    • FoundFootageCritic
« Reply #8 on: December 19, 2013, 10:15:14 AM »

By popular demand, I drafted the following FAQ post to describing the basics of an external IR illuminator: DCS Network Cameras - Improving Night Mode with an External IR Illuminator

If you have additional information that could improve upon this post or see any glaring errors, please let me know and I'll make the appropriate changes.  ;)