• April 17, 2024, 06:51:36 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: DNS-320 Rev B - Copying Large Files from PC fails  (Read 11929 times)

Tsahal

• Level 1 Member
DNS-320 Rev B - Copying Large Files from PC fails
« on: May 10, 2014, 08:05:34 AM »

My DNS320B2 loses its network connection when copying larger files via cifs ( windows 7 ) to it's hdd. The transfer just stops. And the DNS320 freezes. I'am not able to connect to it until i pull the power plug and cold start it. I already pull my hair. Large means above 8 gigs.

JavaLawyer

• BETA Tester
  • Level 15 Member
  • D-Link Global Forum Moderator
    • FoundFootageCritic
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2014, 10:40:31 AM »

My DNS320B2 loses its network connection when copying larger files via cifs ( windows 7 ) to it's hdd. The transfer just stops. And the DNS320 freezes. I'am not able to connect to it until i pull the power plug and cold start it. I already pull my hair. Large means above 8 gigs.

Did this issue start only after upgrading to FW v1.01b02?
Find answers here: D-Link ShareCenter FAQ I D-Link Network Camera FAQ
There's no such thing as too many backups FFC

Tsahal

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2014, 10:52:32 AM »

To be honest: I don't know because yesterday i got a replacement unit from a RMA from D-LINK UK. I RMAed a DNS 320A1 and got a DNS320B2. I took the FW linked in this thread and flashed it. I pull my hair because everytime i push that 9gig file to the NAS it freezes. Over and over again. I tried really EVERYTHING: Reset to default, assign a static ip both in my Router Interface and in the DNS320 Interface. Vice versa. Renamed the Nas and so on. BUT strange is the following: I changed the hostname to DLINK-NAS, and my router shows DNS-320B as Hostname below in the DHCP lease list.

I thought about RMAing it again but my nerves a blank. I sat the whole day to fix that but no avail.

My old DNS 320A1 with the latest A1 FW never had problems like that. It just worked. I'm really dissapointed. Really.

BTW: RMA 14011520
Sorry for the bad spelling, Englisch is not my Mother tongue.
« Last Edit: May 10, 2014, 10:54:11 AM by Tsahal »

JavaLawyer

• BETA Tester
  • Level 15 Member
    • FoundFootageCritic
Re: DNS-320 Rev B - Copying Large Files from PC fails
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2014, 11:01:27 AM »

The first thing I would do is try copying a large file from another PC on your LAN to rule out the PC as a possible cause.

Tsahal

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2014, 11:17:08 AM »

Yep tested and works:

Tsahal

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2014, 11:56:18 AM »

Sorry for doubleposting: I just opened a Support Case @ D-LINK EU. Case Number 1141590

JavaLawyer

• BETA Tester
  • Level 15 Member
    • FoundFootageCritic
« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2014, 12:16:17 PM »

Yep tested and works:

Sorry for doubleposting: I just opened a Support Case @ D-LINK EU. Case Number 1141590

The copy worked on another PC and then you opened a support case?  ???

Tsahal

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #7 on: May 10, 2014, 12:44:49 PM »

No! THis was a Copy from PC1 to PC2. Not to the NAS. I thought that was what you wanted to rule out PC Problems :(

And yes: Tested it from another PC to NAS. The NAS freezes too.

Let me tell you: The denial here is to big for me. I ******************************** will post my review elsewhere. Never again  *****************.

You get what you pay for. So true. Isn't it?
« Last Edit: May 10, 2014, 01:54:31 PM by JavaLawyer »

JavaLawyer

• BETA Tester
  • Level 15 Member
    • FoundFootageCritic
« Reply #8 on: May 10, 2014, 01:56:39 PM »

No! THis was a Copy from PC1 to PC2. Not to the NAS. I thought that was what you wanted to rule out PC Problems :(

And yes: Tested it from another PC to NAS. The NAS freezes too.

Let me tell you: The denial here is to big for me. I ******************************** will post my review elsewhere. Never again  *****************.

You get what you pay for. So true. Isn't it?

Using the process of elimination, do you have a spare switch lying around that you can connect a PC and the ShareCenter to? I have personally had some throughput issues involving one of my older ShareCenters that resolved itself after placing the device on a switch rather than wiring directly to the router.
« Last Edit: May 10, 2014, 02:26:59 PM by JavaLawyer »

ivan

• Level 8 Member
« Reply #9 on: May 10, 2014, 03:36:05 PM »

As a point of interest we make weekly backup copies of disk images (usually 20GB to 35GB) from our server to two of of our DNS-320 boxes without problems.

The difference between our setup and your setup is that we do not use windows on any of our computers and we use FTP for the file transfer.  I know you are using CIFS but have you tried FTP?

Something you did not mention was at what point did the file stop transferring (how many GB) and was it the same each time you tried.

Have you monitored the disk temperatures while the file transfer is on going?  I ask because we have a client that had his NAS shut down due to over temperature caused by a clogged fan.  When we cleaned up the fan and housing there were no more problems.

Another thing to be aware of is a drop in mains voltage which causes a drop in voltage to the unit which can cause the lockup you are seeing - note I say CAN, it may not be the cause of your problem.

Tsahal

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #10 on: May 10, 2014, 03:40:45 PM »

Ok. In short: D-Link Products are only fine with Linux?

And stop fxxking around Disk Temps. THAT SETUP WORKED WITH THE A1 HARDWARE!

« Last Edit: May 10, 2014, 03:42:51 PM by Tsahal »

maki

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #11 on: May 10, 2014, 03:44:59 PM »

I maybe have similar problem.

Something you did not mention was at what point did the file stop transferring (how many GB) and was it the same each time you tried.

Try copying a number of smaller files (500MB) and see will interruption happen always at same point.

ivan

• Level 8 Member
« Reply #12 on: May 10, 2014, 04:18:05 PM »

Ok. In short: D-Link Products are only fine with Linux?
  No, we don't use Linux except in a VM for the odd test we need to do for clients.

THAT SETUP WORKED WITH THE A1 HARDWARE!
  Something else you didn't mention.  That statement now raises the question, what is different between the firmware implementation of CIFS that worked and the one that doesn't, especially if the cut-off point is the same every time. 

dimitar_baev

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #13 on: May 14, 2014, 01:49:56 PM »

I also have the same problem! Cannot move files bigger than 4-5 GB from my laptop to the DNS-320L.
Give me the message "Haven't enough space, but I have more that 1,5 TB free.
And I also think that this is happened after I change my firmware to 1.03b04.

Could someone to help me?

Tsahal

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #14 on: May 15, 2014, 09:12:26 AM »

Played around a little bit:

Copying FROM nas to PC without no Problems. Copied about 700 gig to pc.

I was curious and booted from a Debian Live USB Stick and mounted the NAS via NFS: Copying large files TO Nas without Problems.

In the end i formated the whole Nas Drive ( WD Red 2TB ) and resetted the nas to Factory defaults. But that did not fix the Problem.

I also changed the Router but that did not fix it.

BTW: I tested multiple Files, from 4gig to 22gig. Up to about 12gig it works fine. The 22gig File fails everytime. I can't count the times i pulled the power cord.  

Maybe interesting: At the start of the transfer i have about 40mb/s transfer speed, the it cuts down to about 22mb/s and then it goes to zero and the 320 freezes totally.

I'm using Win 8.1 x64 and tested too with a Win 7 x64 PC, but that too failed.  :-\ :'(

In the end this Nas is not usable for me and i think i'll go for an other manufacturer, because i don't think D-LINK is able or willing to fix that in a reasonable time.
« Last Edit: May 15, 2014, 09:23:16 AM by Tsahal »
Pages: [1] 2