• March 28, 2024, 12:15:11 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Author Topic: -323 and Windows 7  (Read 6346 times)

robertmark68

• Level 1 Member
-323 and Windows 7
« on: June 01, 2009, 05:02:20 AM »

Hello All

I want to apologize for any and all ignorance that the substance of this message might convey as I don't follow this forum religiously even though I should.  A QUICK perusal of the topics here does not reveal anyone else with a problem that seems to similar to the one I have.  I ask for your patience and understanding.  :)

Now....

I have a rather substantial home network 6 or so PC's all running XP.  All the PC's and the -323 are on a gigabit ethernet switch.  One of the PC's is an XP Media Center that accesses videos, music and photos from the -323.  Generally I haven't noticed a problem with the XP Media Center...

To wit...

Recently, I updated my notebook AND my desktop to Windows 7 RC.

The issue i am running into is this...

I have over 80GB of music contained on one of the drives in my -323.  When I set the Media Player within the desktop's machine to use that folder on the -323 as a music library, it doesn't find ALL the music that the folder contains.  Several folders go undetected.  I have tried this on BOTH machines running Windows 7 RC, and have the SAME result.

My -323 is running v1.06....(incidentally I see many people speaking of 1.07 but dlink's website only shows 1.06, I am nervous about trying the beta 1.08 because i have so much media on my -323)...

Is there some difference between the way XP and Vista/RC 7 work that I am not privy to?

Can anyone shine a light on this for me?

Thanks so much.

Robert Lombardi
Otter River, MA

mig

• Level 3 Member
Re: -323 and Windows 7
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2009, 08:09:12 AM »

I am nervous about trying the beta 1.08 because i have so much media on my -323)...

What are you nervous about?

robertmark68

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2009, 08:25:00 AM »

I have over 500 GB's of video, music and photo data that I consider irreplaceable.

If a piece of BETA firmware were to somehow jeopardize that data....I would be 'extremely put out'.   ;)

R.

bigclaw

• Level 2 Member
« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2009, 11:40:17 AM »

I have over 500 GB's of video, music and photo data that I consider irreplaceable.

Storing anything irreplaceable without a separate backup is asking for trouble. You will get burned eventually.

robertmark68

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2009, 11:56:06 AM »

Storing anything irreplaceable without a separate backup is asking for trouble. You will get burned eventually.

Thanks for the tip.  ::)

Any other revelations of stunning obviousness you'd care to share?

I have a tape backups of the data in question.  However, recovering from them would require lots of time & work.  The tedious process of recovering that data from said tape that is what I am trying to avoid vis a vis my ambivalence about installing beta firmware.

R.

ECF

• Administrator
  • Level 11 Member
« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2009, 04:48:41 PM »

Hello All

My -323 is running v1.06....(incidentally I see many people speaking of 1.07 but dlink's website only shows 1.06, I am nervous about trying the beta 1.08 because i have so much media on my -323)...

Where have you been downloading your firmware from that you do not see 1.07?

Here is a link to the US support website You may want to try the official US firmware if you got it on another website.

http://www.support.dlink.com/products/view.asp?productid=DNS-323
Never forget that only dead fish swim with the stream

robertmark68

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2009, 04:59:30 AM »

Where have you been downloading your firmware from that you do not see 1.07?

If you go here....

http://dlink.com/products/support.asp?pid=509&sec=0#firmware

Entering from the general d-link website, you don't see v1.07

R

ECF

• Administrator
  • Level 11 Member
« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2009, 09:38:24 AM »

Oh I see that is the sales website you would need to goto Technical support from there. Please try the link I provided. The 1.07 does not really provide anything but support for 1TB Hitachi Hard drives. 
Never forget that only dead fish swim with the stream