• March 28, 2024, 05:03:21 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Author Topic: can I add second drive without formatting first drive?  (Read 2951 times)

twigman

• Level 1 Member
can I add second drive without formatting first drive?
« on: March 09, 2010, 07:34:59 PM »

Sorry if this is a dumb one...I've looked for the answer on this forum and failed to find it.

I have my DNS-321 set up with a single 1TB drive, and I want to add a 1.5TB drive to go with it.

When I installed the first drive it formatted it for me, which was fine, but now that I have info stored on it I'm worried that adding a second drive will result in the unit reformatting both drives, rather than just the second drive.  I can just try it, but I'd rather be sure before I plug the second drive in.

Can anyone who's added a second drive tell me what happens in the formatting step?

Thanks - MMcK

twigman

• Level 1 Member
Re: can I add second drive without formatting first drive?
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2010, 07:52:35 PM »

Sorry, just found the answer in the online manual...missed it the first time.  The manual says it will format the new drive only.

gunrunnerjohn

• Level 11 Member
Re: can I add second drive without formatting first drive?
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2010, 05:22:29 AM »

Just make sure you have a backup!  There have been reports that the wrong drive got formatted, though I don't know the exact circumstances. :)
Microsoft MVP - Windows Desktop Experience
Remember: Data you don't have two copies of is data you don't care about!
PS: RAID of any level is NOT a second copy.