• April 24, 2024, 04:36:14 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Author Topic: Upgrade to a bigger hdd setup on RAID 1 system  (Read 7949 times)

surfmike

Upgrade to a bigger hdd setup on RAID 1 system
« on: October 07, 2008, 11:13:44 AM »

I want to upgrade from 2x500Gb to 2x1Tb, all with RAID 1, with all stored files intact.

Can I proceed as follows:

1. Remove one 500Gb hdd.
2. Insert the new unformatted 1Tb hdd.
3. The newly inserted hdd will automatically receive all stored files.
4. Remove the 2nd 500Gb hdd.
5. Install the 2nd 1Tb hdd.
6. The last inserted hdd will automatically receive all stored files.
7. Ready to go with 1Tb of fresh RAID 1 storage, or...?  ???

ECF

• Administrator
  • Level 11 Member
Re: Upgrade to a bigger hdd setup on RAID 1 system
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2008, 11:29:09 AM »

To change the size of your RAID to 1TB you will need to format both drives as RAID one using the DNS-323. I would recommend backing you data to a PC then just inserting your 2 1TB drives and formatting in RAID1 then move your data to the DNS-323. The steps you provide would result in a 500GB RAID still and a JBOD or standard Volume_2 with the remaining drive space. 
Never forget that only dead fish swim with the stream

surfmike

« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2008, 11:55:37 PM »

Thx for the rapid answer!
Since I don´t have that amount of extra storage (500Gb) anywhere, is it possible to do like this:

1. Remove one 500Gb hdd from the DNS-323 and connect it to a normal pc.
2. Reformat that hdd and copy the files from the single 500Gb hdd still in DNS-323.
2. Insert and format the 2 1Tb in the DNS-323 and copy the files back on.

One question which should solve the issue very easily; is one removed RAID1 hdd from DNS-323 readable when connected to a normal pc?

ckoebel

« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2008, 05:18:08 AM »

Hi Mike,

The point of a RAID1 system is that if you lose a drive, all the data is mirrored and safe on the second drive. So yes, you should be able to take one of the drives out and connect it to a PC. From what I have seen so far tho, a Windows PC may not be able to read the drive natively - you may need a program or driver to help with that.

Hope that helps!  ;D
Chris

surfmike

« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2008, 02:44:27 AM »

Thx Chris, so the problem kind of persists (and I´m really running out of space...  ;) )

1. First of all, is it possible to remove a RAID1 hdd from DNS-323 and have it readable when connected to a normal pc?
2. Do I need some kind of program or driver to make it happen?

fordem

• Level 10 Member
« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2008, 10:06:48 AM »

You can remove one half of a RAID1 pair and connect it to a Windows system and access the data using the ext2ifs installable file system driver, available here.

I have seen reports of Vista users having problems, so make sure you can access the data before you format anything - if you cannot access the data this way, you should be safe pulling a single disk out of the DNS-323 and connecting that to a PC and formatting it NTFS.

The fact that you ask these questions points to a second issue - YOU HAVE NO BACKUP FOR THE DATA ON THE DNS-323.

RAID1 is not a substitute for backup.
RAID1 is for disk redundancy - NOT data backup - don't confuse the two.

chuckv

• Level 2 Member
« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2008, 03:55:21 PM »

agree with fordem. you may want to look into alternative backup types .. rsync copy from one HD to another for example.

though you have already gone down the RIAD1 path, individual disks would probably provide you more flexability for what you are asking

surfmike

« Reply #7 on: October 13, 2008, 01:34:42 AM »

Thx guys, I´m on my way solving the storage issue.

I now can read the 500Gb drive connected to a pc thx to the fs-driver. The files are typed perfectly.

However, when I copy the files back on to the DND-323 with new hdd´s, I don´t get the correct letters as typed originally (Swedish, Western Europe strange kind of letters you know...  :-\ ).
I tried with both enabled and disabled UTF-8 encoding when installing fs-driver, but with almost the same result (the "new" letters differs). What should I do?