• April 18, 2024, 04:02:35 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Author Topic: DAP-1360 Rev C1 Fw 3.02 drops connection & connected time  (Read 10362 times)

ektorbarajas

• Level 2 Member
    • DJ ektorBarajas
DAP-1360 Rev C1 Fw 3.02 drops connection & connected time
« on: April 16, 2013, 02:21:16 PM »

Hi.

I've purchased a DAP-1360 to extend my WiFi coverage, my main router is the DIR-825 and it's placed in the first floor, so I placed the DAP-1360 on the second floor and the DAP-1360 receives the signal between 49 and 53% strength.

I've read the following topic about the DAP-1360 dropping the connection:
http://forums.dlink.com/index.php?topic=12207.msg139801#msg139801

Since I have Rev C1 with Firmware 3.02 (This was the version loaded from factory) I decided to start this new thread.

On the other thread Two possible solutions are suggested
1) to restrict the DAP-1360 to G only (not mixed G and N, not N)
2) suggested by user Primordial:
To set up the DAP-1360 use its wizard setup (http://192.168.0.50).

Use the WIZARD link under SETUP and follow the instructions.  When you have that all setup log back into the DAP-1360(if you need to) and click ADVANCED.
Now click on the ACCESS CONTROL link.
Next to Access Control:  Chose Accept from the drop down box.  Next to Connected PCs: Chose your wireless device's MAC address and click Clone.
Click on Save Settings after each device you add.  This should take care of your problem.

BTW I am using a DIR-655 router with the DAP-1360 as my Repeater.  So far I haven't had any of the drop issues I was having every 2 minutes
before I did this.  Oh and another thing I found to be my case is that the Signal Strength from the DIR-655 to the DAP-1360 couldn't be below 50%.
I had the strength at 44% and so just as many drops.  I moved my DAP-1360 a little closer to my router and now it is about 66% and working great.
I don't have the dead spots I used to.

I've not tried those solutions yet, but definitely would give a try.
For the second solution I notced that DAP-1360 Rev C1 doesn't has "ACCESS CONTROL"

Regarding the connection drops, I don't know if under STATUS>WIRELESS - Connected time

The value is a clear indication of a connection drop, if I'm ok then the connected time with the router (DIR-827) should be a very high value (it's in seconds) and if the value resets then it means that a connection drop occurred?

In my case the higher connected time I have achieved with my DIR-827 is about 19,000 seconds (5+ hours)

As an update I left two ping commands running, one for my DIR-827 and the other for the DAP-1360. Each window ran 1000 pings and the results are as follows:
for the DIR-825 - 0% lost packages and response times was 1-3ms (some times it was 400ms)
for the DAP-160 - 1% lost (12 packages) and response time was 3-6ms (few times it was 218ms)
« Last Edit: April 16, 2013, 02:29:41 PM by ektorbarajas »

DennisOlof1

• Level 2 Member
Re: DAP-1360 Rev C1 Fw 3.02 drops connection & connected time
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2013, 03:02:04 PM »

Ok. So you have control over your LAN. What you can do is enable the watchdog feature in the DAP-1360 to ping the IP address of the DIR-825 every minute, this will at least reboot the unit if it stops working. Should work.

It is unclear what you want to do with your type of setup.

ektorbarajas

• Level 2 Member
    • DJ ektorBarajas
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2013, 03:09:00 PM »

Hi DennisOlof1.

I will give a try to the watchdog feature.

Do you know how long does it take for the DAP-1360 to reboot using the watchdog feature?

What I'm trying to achieve is a reliable and extended WiFi coverage in my second floor. Without the DAP 1360 the signal is very week and there are some dead spots.

Regards

DennisOlof1

• Level 2 Member
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2013, 06:43:37 AM »

ektorbarajas, yes, the watchdog can "ping" every minute, takes about 3min for a reboot (something like that).

Well in your case the best option is to have a LAN cable from DIR-825 to the upper floor and then plug that into the dap-1360, this way you can have two separate independent WLANs. After all I research on the internet this is what everyone says is the first option, using standard APs and then connecting them to the LAN in different ways, depending on the circumstance. Using a AP as a "wireless client" is also an option to get internet to a remove computer outside of normal coverage of the WLAN and so on. But all other modes of operation are not something that will be problem free.

I have been running a test scenario but when deployed I will reboot my units every 24h because there is no other way to ensure problem free operation, at least if there is a total crash, I know if will fix it self once the units are rebooted, because they will be in a remote location I can not get to easy. And in my case I can not use the watchdog as I do not have control over the networks IP addresses, but you do so using that function could help against errors. Or if you have access to the unit you can place it so you can reboot is easy.

So even if you have two APs, one for ch1, one for ch6 (for G network) or whatever you are using, you can still use the same SSID (or name them xxxxxx1 xxxxxx2 and same password). But as I said sometimes you have no other options than to do complete wireless systems.

ektorbarajas

• Level 2 Member
    • DJ ektorBarajas
« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2013, 07:27:24 AM »

Thanks DenissOlof1 for your comments.

In the past I had another ISP (Telmex from Mexico), they delivered ADSL and used a 2wire modem, for my second flor I used a D-Link DWL-G700 as a repeater and my WiFi and internet worked without any major issue for almost 6 years, I never have to reboot the devices, the only minor issues was that sometimes second floor devices have some lag when opening a webpage, but after a minute or so it solved.

Will keep on testing my current configuration with the DAP-1360, I will even try with other antennas.
At this moment it has being more than 24 hours and my WiFi seems fine.

In case there are issues then I will use an ethernet cable and do your suggestion.

Regards

DennisOlof1

• Level 2 Member
« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2013, 08:11:30 AM »

How ironic, I also have used the DWL-G700AP and it was a great access point, stable, no need for reboot and worked great. You could try and get hold of one from ebay or similar. But then you only get 54Mbit speed.

But I would still suggest, if you can, to use a network cable instead of using WLAN between the two floors, reason is cable is so much more stable, it is more work to do it, but not that hard, similar to doing installations for satellite dish TV systems and so on. Plus you can have the network cable outside the house to, what ever works best for you and is easy to do.

I did install a network cable for my network when it was coaxial with 10Mbit ISA cards in the computers, I did change the cable to 100Mbit sometime during the 90s and have been running on that for a long time, I think I have been using my 100Mbit switches for over 10 years now, still working, no downtime, super stable.
Only thing that has changed is the computer hardware, and upgrades to the xDSL line, more speed. But still works fine.

ektorbarajas

• Level 2 Member
    • DJ ektorBarajas
« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2013, 12:46:01 PM »

Seems that my DIR-827 and DAP-1360 are working fine. as stated in my post: http://forums.dlink.com/index.php?topic=53566.msg204290#msg204290

Will keep on checking and if there is any issue I will update the forum.

Regards
« Last Edit: April 17, 2013, 12:47:39 PM by ektorbarajas »

DennisOlof1

• Level 2 Member
« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2013, 09:12:42 AM »

Good, the dap-1360 is not that bad of a unit, great speeds, cool chips inside the unit, and stable as a standard AP.

ektorbarajas

• Level 2 Member
    • DJ ektorBarajas
« Reply #8 on: April 24, 2013, 09:41:29 AM »

Hi as today it has being 4 days and my WiFi seems to be working fine  ;D

By searching this forum and over internet I noticed that some wireless and internet dropping issues where due to Android devices not "playing nice" with WiFi devices when using WPA2-AES.

So I changed my security from WPA2-AES to WPA only-TKIP.

If any issue appears (hope not) will update the forums