• March 28, 2024, 08:09:27 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5

Author Topic: ip address  (Read 40712 times)

rector

• Level 2 Member
ip address
« on: May 22, 2010, 08:17:31 PM »

Hi, Ive had trouble with my dns-323 not connecting to my network after its been switched off. I think I located the problem as a IP conflict as it defaults to a address on one of my pcs. If I set it to enable dhcp its ok but I read if you want to use FTP its best to have a static address. If I let the NAS get an address by enabling DHCP and then use the assigned address to disable DHCP all works well. The problem is the address doesnt stick, and when I next reboot the nas its a different address.

I havent had this nas all that long and recently I looked at the dlink site enquiring about using the nas a a print server, Apparently you have to install share point which is for firmware 1.08. I duly updated to 1.08 and then it wouldnt install share point anyway??

I have reset the nas several times
I have formatted my raid one setup twice
I am using 2 seagate 1tb drives
I am using a dlink dir300 router
I am using win7

Oh, by the way the computer that conflicts with the nas is connected wirelessly whilst the other pcs are wired to the router.

Any thoughts 

Tank_Killer

• Level 2 Member
Re: ip address
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2010, 10:06:11 PM »

If your DNS is losing its static IP info on reboot I reccomend resetting your config to defaults (factory reset) then reconfiguring your dns from scratch.  I say this becuase the DNS has known issues with settings after upgrading to the latest firmware.  As a rule (with all my devices) I return the device to factory defaults BEFORE and AFTER flashing new firmware.  As new feature sets in a device can cause aformentioned issues.

Most routers have a DHCP reservation list,  where you can set it to hand a specific MAC (in this case the MAC address of your DNS323) the same IP you specify every time automagically.  Thus you can leave the DNS323 set to DHCP. You can do this by logging into your router and finding the LAN or DHCP tab...  or something.

However you can also set your DNS itself with a static IP under (or over) the default range of DHCP server on your router sets.  IE if your router by default hands out ips based on 192.168.0.10-192.168.0.100 then you might set your DNS to a static IP of 192.168.0.2, HOWEVER DO NOT USE THE GATEWAY IP ADDRESS!!  which in that ip scheme would most likely be 192.168.0.1 (essentially the IP of the router itself).

So a few ways you can acheive what you want, but your right if you are setting up a virtual server on your network (FTP on the DNS323) you will want that device to have a static IP someway.

BTW, my DNS323 is on a static IP and FW1.08.  All settings are retained after reboot.

Hope this helps
« Last Edit: May 22, 2010, 10:28:10 PM by Tank_Killer »

gunrunnerjohn

• Level 11 Member
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2010, 05:33:05 AM »

Static IP addresses are the way to go for server appliances, and you'll eliminate these issues.
Microsoft MVP - Windows Desktop Experience
Remember: Data you don't have two copies of is data you don't care about!
PS: RAID of any level is NOT a second copy.

rector

• Level 2 Member
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2010, 04:14:24 PM »

Static IP addresses are the way to go for server appliances, and you'll eliminate these issues.

Hi, When you say "server appliance" if you mean the dns-323 its set to a static ip. All i did was let if find an Ip address by DHCP and then disabled DHCP and used that address, which does not conflict with any other pcs.

Thanks for the response

gunrunnerjohn

• Level 11 Member
« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2010, 04:20:40 PM »

Yep, all my NAS boxes and network printers have static IP addresses.  I let the workstations use dynamic addressing, makes it easier to move them around from network to network for the laptops.

rector

• Level 2 Member
« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2010, 04:23:26 PM »

If your DNS is losing its static IP info on reboot I reccomend resetting your config to defaults (factory reset) then reconfiguring your dns from scratch.  I say this becuase the DNS has known issues with settings after upgrading to the latest firmware.  As a rule (with all my devices) I return the device to factory defaults BEFORE and AFTER flashing new firmware.  As new feature sets in a device can cause aformentioned issues.

Most routers have a DHCP reservation list,  where you can set it to hand a specific MAC (in this case the MAC address of your DNS323) the same IP you specify every time automagically.  Thus you can leave the DNS323 set to DHCP. You can do this by logging into your router and finding the LAN or DHCP tab...  or something.

However you can also set your DNS itself with a static IP under (or over) the default range of DHCP server on your router sets.  IE if your router by default hands out ips based on 192.168.0.10-192.168.0.100 then you might set your DNS to a static IP of 192.168.0.2, HOWEVER DO NOT USE THE GATEWAY IP ADDRESS!!  which in that ip scheme would most likely be 192.168.0.1 (essentially the IP of the router itself).

So a few ways you can acheive what you want, but your right if you are setting up a virtual server on your network (FTP on the DNS323) you will want that device to have a static IP someway.

BTW, my DNS323 is on a static IP and FW1.08.  All settings are retained after reboot.

Hope this helps

I have reset to defaults several times after fware update. When I turned the computer and NAS on today its actually remembered its static address, which is different to any other pc on the network, however when I look on the network for it (and clicking on its found icon)  I get an error message saying check the spelling of the name, or there could be a problem with the network.

I will now spend half an hour or so and for some stupid reason if I let is find an ip address by enabling DHCP and then disable dhcp it will probably work????? To say I am most unimpressed with this product is a massive understatement.

Thanks for your response, and sorry to show my dissappointment

gunrunnerjohn

• Level 11 Member
« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2010, 04:27:30 PM »

I'm having a bit of a problem believing this is just the DNS-323.  I have a DNS-323 and DNS-321 both on my network, they stay where I put them, and have operated rock-solid.  If they were faster, I'd be 100% pleased. :D

rector

• Level 2 Member
« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2010, 04:30:35 PM »

Yep, all my NAS boxes and network printers have static IP addresses.  I let the workstations use dynamic addressing, makes it easier to move them around from network to network for the laptops.

Thanks for the fast response. I have turned my nas an pc on this morning, as usual no nas. Using easy search it shows the static IP address i set yesterday, but even though the icon is showing in my network an error says the name may be spelt wrong or there could be a problem with my network???? I am not impressed. I know if i fiddle with the settings, put it back to EXACTLY where it is now, it will work, but if this is standard procedure its not for me.

Thanks for the response  

rector

• Level 2 Member
« Reply #8 on: May 23, 2010, 04:37:04 PM »

I'm having a bit of a problem believing this is just the DNS-323.  I have a DNS-323 and DNS-321 both on my network, they stay where I put them, and have operated rock-solid.  If they were faster, I'd be 100% pleased. :D

I just ran easy search/configuration. I ran the setup wizard, changed NOTHING and reloaded it. The NAS works perfect. I think the nas is the problem, not the network

rector

• Level 2 Member
« Reply #9 on: May 23, 2010, 04:38:48 PM »

I have reset to defaults several times after fware update. When I turned the computer and NAS on today its actually remembered its static address, which is different to any other pc on the network, however when I look on the network for it (and clicking on its found icon)  I get an error message saying check the spelling of the name, or there could be a problem with the network.

I will now spend half an hour or so and for some stupid reason if I let is find an ip address by enabling DHCP and then disable dhcp it will probably work????? To say I am most unimpressed with this product is a massive understatement.

Thanks for your response, and sorry to show my dissappointment

Follow up
I just ran easy search/configuration. I ran the setup wizard, changed NOTHING and reloaded it. The NAS works perfect. I think the nas is the problem, not the network

dosborne

• Level 5 Member
« Reply #10 on: May 23, 2010, 06:11:58 PM »

You shold never assign a static address that is within the range allowed by your DHCP server. While it may work ok today, tomorrow or any day in the future, your DHCP server could assign that address to another device.

Most people don't need more than 25 addresses in the DHCP server for assignment leaving quite a large range left for manual assignment.
3 x DNS-323 with 2 x 2TB WD Drives each for a total of 12 TB Storage and Backup. Running DLink Firmware v1.08 and Fonz Fun Plug (FFP) v0.5 for improved software support.

rector

• Level 2 Member
« Reply #11 on: May 23, 2010, 06:56:36 PM »

You shold never assign a static address that is within the range allowed by your DHCP server. While it may work ok today, tomorrow or any day in the future, your DHCP server could assign that address to another device.

Most people don't need more than 25 addresses in the DHCP server for assignment leaving quite a large range left for manual assignment.

Yes I understand that the router may issue the Ip address to another peripheral on the network, but the only other addition to this network is likely to be a printer, which from memory uses a static ip address. That is of course if I can get this NAS operating. If I have to configure it every time I start it then its destined for the bin. Following reading the posts so far, today (in order) I have set the NAS to factory default, reinstalled firmware 1.08, reset to factory default, reconfigured. It worked perfect. Turned it off for half an hour. Turned it on, it shows on windows network but when access attempted I get a message saying to check spelling of DNS-323, or you may have a problem with the network.  

I then run easy search, point to the nas, run configuration, then the setup wizard, click through all the setup options and change nothing, let it reload, THE NAS then shows on the network and it works.

Looks like ive got a dud unless someone has any ideas?

Ill run an IP ouside the router

Thanks for your response  
« Last Edit: May 23, 2010, 06:58:22 PM by rector »

gunrunnerjohn

• Level 11 Member
« Reply #12 on: May 23, 2010, 07:05:01 PM »

If you configure the router's DHCP pool not to consume all the available addresses in the subnet, then assign the DNS-323 an IP address outside the DHCP address pool, there is zero chance of an IP conflict unless you assign more than one static IP address to the same value.

It really is that easy.

Rodent

• Level 3 Member
« Reply #13 on: May 23, 2010, 07:07:49 PM »

This sounds like the same problem others are having, check out these posts:

http://forums.dlink.com/index.php?topic=742.msg3226#msg3226

also this post 2nd page third down the list:
http://forums.dlink.com/index.php?topic=11993.msg76161#msg76161

I have had this problem ever since I had this device, when I reboot it I have to re-save a network setting to get access to the shares.

the problem seems to have risen for in the new firmware now and for more people...

R.

rector

• Level 2 Member
« Reply #14 on: May 23, 2010, 07:45:37 PM »

This sounds like the same problem others are having, check out these posts:

http://forums.dlink.com/index.php?topic=742.msg3226#msg3226

also this post 2nd page third down the list:
http://forums.dlink.com/index.php?topic=11993.msg76161#msg76161

I have had this problem ever since I had this device, when I reboot it I have to re-save a network setting to get access to the shares.

the problem seems to have risen for in the new firmware now and for more people...

R.

I just changed my IP address from xxxxxx 103 to xxxxx 250 no change in behaviour. Looks like we have been sucked in. I fear you are correct about a common problem. Bloody expensive paperweight.
Thanks for the response   
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5