• April 23, 2024, 05:39:28 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Author Topic: Limeted Number of Entries - 24  (Read 5477 times)

cklassen

• Level 1 Member
Limeted Number of Entries - 24
« on: May 14, 2010, 07:18:02 PM »

Hi,

i have a few questions regarding the limited number of entries you can have on this router; either as Static IPs, number of ports in a port forward entry, MAC-Address filter, etc.

1 - how come there is a limit on the number of entries you can have/enter; whether it static ips, mac-address filter, port forwarding, etc.?

2 - how come this was added/decreased, as compared to the same line of router but earlier model, the DGL-4300?

3 - is it planned/can it be changed in an upcoming firmware release?

for instance, i have over 24 devices in which i all want to have static IP addresses, but on this model (dgl-4500), that is limited to only 24. On the dgl-4300, i was able to have a lot more than that. same with the number of ports (single and/or ranges) in a port forward rule/entry. for instance on the dgl-4300, i was able to have all the necessary ports for the League Of Legends game,  but on this dgl-4500, i need 2 entries to accomplish this; which also takes away from the total number of entries i can have/use for other reasons; it's a double hit here. same with the mac-address filter, again it is limited to only 24 mac-address on the dgl4500.

what gives, why was this reduced on the new and better (minus these flaws) dgl-4500 as compared to the dgl-4300?

since i loved the dgl-4300, that is why i decided to get the same line but newer dgl-4500, which includes wireless N, etc.

please, can you increase the number of entries/fields in an upcoming firmware release? i'm sure i'm not the only one who loves this line, firmware, router, but wishes to have a lot more entries.

thanks,

HankRiker

• Level 2 Member
Re: Limeted Number of Entries - 24
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2010, 12:01:58 AM »

i have a few questions regarding the limited number of entries you can have on this router; either as Static IPs, number of ports in a port forward entry, MAC-Address filter, etc.

...snip...

please, can you increase the number of entries/fields in an upcoming firmware release? i'm sure i'm not the only one who loves this line, firmware, router, but wishes to have a lot more entries.

I don't work for D-Link, but I would guess that it comes down to the limitations of the hardware. When you're designing a hardware appliance, you have to take shortcuts to bring the device to market at a price point the consumer will accept. To do that, you often have to limit the amount of memory, the processor make, and speed, the networking chipset, etc.

So, unless they start stripping out features, I doubt there is any way they could expand the field data much beyond where it stands. There are a few methods like compression that they might be able to use, but then they have to spend CPU cycles to decompress the data on the fly, which is an issue.

They look at the market, which is the home user/gamer and make decisions based on that for how many entries in each field they can support, and try to balance that versus features in the devices.

I'm currently looking at enterprise-class devices myself, as I build out my network, but I know that may not be affordable for a lot of folks out there. As an alternative, you could perhaps take some off-the-shelf PC hardware, perhaps even something you've migrated from, and install something like the Astaro Security Gateway, which is free for home users... http://www.astaro.com/landingpages/en-worldwide-homeuse

All of that said, I do understand your frustration, but the hardware is the limiting factor in a lot of these decisions.

Hope that helps,
Hank
« Last Edit: May 15, 2010, 02:05:06 AM by HankRiker »
My D-Link Hardware:
DIR-825 HW:B1 FW:2.02NA || DIR-825 HW:A1 FW:1.01 || DGS-1016D HW:C1 || DGL-4500 HW:A1 FW:1.02
DGL-4300 HW:A4 FW:1.9 || DGS-2205 || DGL-4300 HW:A2 FW:1.9 || DGL-4300 HW:A1 FW:1.9

Squirrel2

• Level 2 Member
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2010, 11:38:04 AM »

If you have that many devices that you want Static IPs for, perhaps you should setup those devices to use the Static IPs.

LookIntoMyEyees

• Level 5 Member
  • Let me lend you a hand & solutions shall follow.
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2010, 01:37:34 PM »

Yes he want's all his devices to use static ip but the router won't allow anymore then 24 static ip at a time. What he wants to know is if someone knows anyway to bypass the cap Or if the next firmware update can remove this cap. I don't have that many devices so i never knew there was a cap for it, To me that makes no sense why cap the static ip's but like hank said it might be due to hardware limitations.
« Last Edit: May 15, 2010, 01:43:47 PM by LookIntoMyEyees »
Did I Help? If So, Say So! ShHHhh!, Just LookIntoMyEyees! No one is perfect, we all make mistakes.

Squirrel2

• Level 2 Member
« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2010, 08:59:31 PM »

I should clarify myself.

Instead of using the DGL-4500 to setup numerous Static DHCP reservations, he should setup each individual device on his own, with a Static IP. In other words, he should go into each computer and instead of using DHCP, setup each computer manually with the IP he wants.

This limitation is simply based on how much memory is inside the router. The router uses the same memory pool to store DHCP reservations, firewall rules, virtual servers, etc...

cklassen

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2010, 08:54:42 AM »

i bet you the memory, as well as the other stepcs. is the same if not better than the dgl-4300; if not than there's other issues/concerns at play here.

that said, why reduce the functionality of a "newer" router than an older one.

just saying folks. this is my little question to d-link as well as a possible "fix" in an upcoming firmware release.....hopefully :)

regards,

cklassen

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2010, 08:57:03 AM »

there's always alternatives and ways to get things done, no questions asked. but i like using the router to do this as it's only in one spot, as well as sort of a security feature as only trusted macs are allowed to get an ip address anyways; ontop of other settings, features, devices, etc.

regards,

FurryNutz

• Poweruser
  •   ▲
    ▲ ▲
  • D-Link Global Forum Moderator
    • Router Troubleshooting
« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2010, 10:51:22 AM »

Can post your concerns and issues here for Dlink to see:

http://forums.dlink.com/index.php?topic=10545.0
Cable: 1Gb/50Mb>NetGear CM1200>DIR-882>HP 24pt Gb Switch. COVR-1202/2202/3902,DIR-2660/80,3xDGL-4500s,DIR-LX1870,857,835,827,815,890L,880L,868L,836L,810L,685,657,3x655s,645,628,601,DNR-202L,DNS-345,DCS-933L,936L,960L and 8000LH.

cklassen

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #8 on: May 16, 2010, 08:35:29 PM »

thanks,  already posted.

hopefully d-link reads all these and plan on adding/fixing as many of these as possible; specially mine  :P

but really though, please d-link :)

we support you, so please support us :)