• April 18, 2024, 10:09:01 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Should I wait or should I return it  (Read 12621 times)

dirtbiker

• Level 1 Member
Should I wait or should I return it
« on: November 24, 2008, 01:06:43 PM »

Hi,

I have been waiting patiently for a firmware upgrade to hopefully solve some issues. Should I wait for the firmware to be release or return the unit for a refund and buy a different brand that works out of the box?

Cheers

D-Link Multimedia

• Poweruser
  • Level 7 Member
    • D-link Systems, Inc.
Re: Should I wait or should I return it
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2008, 03:02:21 PM »

After reviewing every post you have made on these forums I have not seen a single one that said you are having any issues what so ever. What didn't work for you out-of-the-box?

dirtbiker

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2008, 08:37:17 PM »

Hi,

1. Time cannot be set correctly. DST time. Time is one hour out.
http://forums.dlink.com/index.php?topic=2765.0
2. smb://IP_ADDRESS/Volume_1/username can access password protected directories.
covered by others
3. Scanning function not supported for printer on the "official supported list"
http://forums.dlink.com/index.php?topic=2771.0
4. Drives wake from sleep for no apparent reason
5. Seagate drives vibrate and rattle
covered by others obviously firmware won't fix this.
6. Fan seems to run all the time.
supposed to be a fix in the next firmware release
7. FTP SSL not supported

I'm not here to pi$$ anyone off. Like most others I would just like to know an achievable date that the issues will be addressed by, so I can make an informed decision.

Cheers

bigclaw

• Level 2 Member
« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2008, 08:45:30 AM »

I think you should return it.

D-Link Multimedia

• Poweruser
  • Level 7 Member
    • D-link Systems, Inc.
« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2008, 02:08:54 PM »

Hi,

1. Time cannot be set correctly. DST time. Time is one hour out.
2. smb://IP_ADDRESS/Volume_1/username can access password protected directories.
covered by others
3. Scanning function not supported for printer on the "official supported list"
http://forums.dlink.com/index.php?topic=2771.0
5. Seagate drives vibrate and rattle
covered by others obviously firmware won't fix this.
6. Fan seems to run all the time.
supposed to be a fix in the next firmware release
7. FTP SSL not supported

I'm not here to pi$$ anyone off. Like most others I would just like to know an achievable date that the issues will be addressed by, so I can make an informed decision.

Cheers

1. DST has already been fixed in the next firmware. Missed this one since it was under another title.
2. This has already been mentioned multiple times across multiple posts and has already been addressed.
3. We provide ONLY a print server. We do not claim to support scanning functions.
4. This could be caused by many things including your own network and is not a issue out of the box.
5. We follow a standard size bay and other devices will experience this same issue.
6. Already addressed as stated.
7. We have no claims to support SSL on this device. We are adding it to 1.06 but in no way was it referenced on the box or support site as a feature so this is not an 'issue' with a product but a feature request.

It is holiday season and we have no plans to jump the gun on any releases so we are taking our time making sure that a stable release goes out as quickly as possible. I would not expect it until probably next week if all testing has been finalized since this is such a short week for most people.

jrbilodeau

• Level 3 Member
« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2008, 06:48:08 PM »

Hey Dlink. just want to say that i really appreciate the work that you guys are doing and i'm glad that you guys aren't releasing the firmware pre-maturely. but it seem like we keep getting told that the firmware is expected the be released within the next week or so, and i think that people are getting their hopes up and are getting impatient.

just my oppinion but i would say something more along the lines of: the firmware is in its final stage testing and we're just working out the last of the bug to make sure that its stable and should be released shortly. this way people wont be like, but you said it would be out in a week and it been like a month
:( "sob".

anyway thanks for the great work that you guys are doing. keep up the good work. i really like the DNS-323 and the flexibility it has (even though much of it is with funplug packages)

CraZy675

« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2008, 03:30:00 PM »

I've used a few other brands of NASs, they are just as much of a pain.

fordem

• Level 10 Member
« Reply #7 on: November 27, 2008, 03:40:04 PM »

I've used a few other brands of NASs, they are just as much of a pain.

Amen!!

The low end "powered by linux" all have quirks - I'd rank the D-Link units as being better than most.
RAID1 is for disk redundancy - NOT data backup - don't confuse the two.

morlesslim

« Reply #8 on: December 23, 2008, 11:02:42 AM »

im not sure why people have issues with this nas. MINE ARE AMAZING. after using my first one for about 3 weeks and filling up (2) 500GB HDD's i purchased another one and there great. Yeah they could use a fresher firmware with new features but out of the box amazing. both of mine are very quite and transfer around 84-88mbps which is outstanding.

garyhgaryh

• Level 3 Member
« Reply #9 on: December 23, 2008, 01:07:30 PM »

I'm pretty happy with my box.  I just got it set up about a week ago running raid 1 with two 1.5T drives and I've not had an issue except for permissions problem (which I figured out)...
Gary

bigclaw

• Level 2 Member
« Reply #10 on: December 23, 2008, 01:33:51 PM »

I concur. I like the DNS-323 very much because of its ease-of-use and extremely low power consumption (6W standby). The transfer speed is good too.

About the only issue I have is that it doesn't support scheduled power up/down and/or wake-on-LAN. I understand that this is a hardware limitation.

Other than that, life is good!

Shadymedia

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #11 on: December 23, 2008, 03:25:13 PM »

1. DST has already been fixed in the next firmware. Missed this one since it was under another title.
2. This has already been mentioned multiple times across multiple posts and has already been addressed.
3. We provide ONLY a print server. We do not claim to support scanning functions.
4. This could be caused by many things including your own network and is not a issue out of the box.
5. We follow a standard size bay and other devices will experience this same issue.
6. Already addressed as stated.
7. We have no claims to support SSL on this device. We are adding it to 1.06 but in no way was it referenced on the box or support site as a feature so this is not an 'issue' with a product but a feature request.

It is holiday season and we have no plans to jump the gun on any releases so we are taking our time making sure that a stable release goes out as quickly as possible. I would not expect it until probably next week if all testing has been finalized since this is such a short week for most people.

Dlink say's here some time next week...and this was posted in november...Any update?? I need 360 Support?

conq

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #12 on: January 04, 2009, 11:16:22 PM »

Hey DLink support, he's not the first or the last to complain about drive hibernation problems with seagate drive. This is biggest problem i think because it causes physical wear on the drives to keep spinning up and down!

fordem

• Level 10 Member
« Reply #13 on: January 05, 2009, 06:39:27 AM »

Hey DLink support, he's not the first or the last to complain about drive hibernation problems with seagate drive. This is biggest problem i think because it causes physical wear on the drives to keep spinning up and down!

If you're concerned about the wear on the drives due to start cycles, consider leaving them running 24/7.
RAID1 is for disk redundancy - NOT data backup - don't confuse the two.

conq

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #14 on: January 05, 2009, 04:59:55 PM »

That doesn't make sense. The reason for hibernation is to save on wear on the drives. Leaving them on 24/7 is not necessary for a consumer level NAS. I deal with EMC SAN all day long, i rather not hear drives spinning  while i sleep.
Pages: [1] 2