• March 28, 2024, 02:45:16 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Author Topic: UPnP Media Server - Requires frequent manual refreshes  (Read 6770 times)

melvynadam

• Level 2 Member
UPnP Media Server - Requires frequent manual refreshes
« on: March 24, 2010, 01:16:24 AM »

I have a 1.5TB drive in my DNS-343 which is used exclusively for the UPnP™ Media server. I share the whole disk and it has worked perfectly for 6 months now.

Recently I added a lot of media to the drive and it now has approx 150GB free. Every time I make a large change (add, edit, or delete approx 5GB or more of media files) the streamer stops working and I have to go to the administration tool and click Refresh.

Clearly the server is overwhelmed in some way but there's a crucial difference between the two possible causes. Either the issue is caused by the fact that I have 1.3TB of media or because of the low free space. If it's the latter I can add another disk and span them to increase the space. If it's the former there's nothing I can do and I'll just be wasting money on a new drive.

Can anyone enlighten me? Is there another possible cause I've missed?

ECF

• Administrator
  • Level 11 Member
Re: UPnP Media Server - Requires frequent manual refreshes
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2010, 10:33:46 AM »

What devices do you stream to?
Never forget that only dead fish swim with the stream

roflcopter666

• Level 2 Member
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2010, 02:37:19 PM »

I have the same issue.

I stream to PS3 latest firmware.

Still have to manually refresh media server which takes forever due to large folder size.

Still have problems with track listing order, and text now displays spaces as % ie Master%of%Puppets%

using 1.04aBeta on NAS

D-Link Multimedia

• Level 7 Member
    • D-link Systems, Inc.
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2010, 02:48:27 PM »

I have the same issue.

I stream to PS3 latest firmware.

Still have to manually refresh media server which takes forever due to large folder size.

Still have problems with track listing order, and text now displays spaces as % ie Master%of%Puppets%

using 1.04aBeta on NAS

Do the files that show % for spaces not play or do they play but just show funny characters in the name?

roflcopter666

• Level 2 Member
« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2010, 08:42:11 PM »

Do the files that show % for spaces not play or do they play but just show funny characters in the name?

They play, but show %20 in place of spaces in the menus.  More of an annoyance.  

However still cannot play an album in order, the uPNP server has them alphabetically sorted, not by track#.

Also I have to manually refresh regularly.  6 hours after a file had been moved to a sub directory within the shared "media" directory, it was not visible via PS3 media, however was evident in Windows explorer.  A manual refresh changed this.  Unfortunately I can not even schedule regular refreshes to get around this.
« Last Edit: May 09, 2010, 02:44:03 PM by roflcopter666 »

dice1111

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2010, 11:13:23 AM »

Any progress on the %20 issue? I am having a similar pexperience on both files and folders. All files and folders are accessable, so far.

Also, with the 1.04beta.

Another issue I have noticed (i haven't played around with it however), is that some folders are not located in their proper directories when accessing via my Upnp device.

Folders that should be located in Volume1 - Media - Pictures are located in Volume1. These folders are located in the correct location when browsing via windows on the PC.

The device is a Samsung Blu-Ray Player: BD-C5500

I do have two other Upnp devices, an Asus O!Play HD, and two PS3's a old style and a new slim. i will try and recreate this on the other devices when I get a chance.

Dice

melvynadam

• Level 2 Member
« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2010, 12:16:32 AM »

What devices do you stream to?

I have a WD HDTV Live which streams from the DNS-343. Like I said, it's a fantastic solution most of the time unless I've just made some significant changes on the media folders (simply deleting 10GB of one TV show and adding a few movies is enough to require a manual reset via the DNS-343 web GUI).