• April 16, 2024, 08:07:30 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Author Topic: Raid 1 (mirrored?) is Maintenance required  (Read 3326 times)

medicmanonet

• Level 1 Member
Raid 1 (mirrored?) is Maintenance required
« on: December 07, 2008, 04:14:46 AM »

Hi all,

pretty much a newbie here so be kind  ;). Basically I have two x 250gb drives in the NAS and they are in RAID configuration (RAID 0 I think so the drives are mirroring each other and total volume is 250Gbyte).

So the quesion is do I need to do any maintenace on this drive?? I intend to do regular backups once have the data in some sort of order (loads of photos and home movies as well as University files). Do I need to defrag or anything? If so How?

This might be a daft quesiton to a lot of you, but I don't know if maintenance is required? I understand that Raid 1 is mirrioring and is a way to protect against hardware failure (hard drive) and data loss where both drives have the same information. I know I should back up regularly (been meaning to do this  :-\), but is there any other things (maintenance) I should be doing??

Anyone recommend a good software to back up the NAS (all of it or only specified directories) to my PC and also DVD's?

cheers