• March 28, 2024, 11:11:17 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Author Topic: wireless slow down??  (Read 4582 times)

cmartell1978

• Level 1 Member
wireless slow down??
« on: January 15, 2012, 09:07:56 PM »

Hey guys, had this router for a couple of months now, wondering if anyone else is experiencing my issue. Router works fine for a few days, good pings and speeds, 5ms ping, 10 down 1 up to my local ISP, but after a few days, the ping will go anywhere from 80 to 100 with my download speed dropping to 1MB and my upload will stay around 1. If i reboot the router, speeds go back to normal. Anyone else seeing this issue? I am using 1 wireless laptop, my network is setup to mixed n and g mode, wpa2 &aes security.

FurryNutz

• Poweruser
  •   ▲
    ▲ ▲
  • D-Link Global Forum Moderator
    • Router Troubleshooting
Re: wireless slow down??
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2012, 09:24:51 AM »

Any cordless house phones?
Any other WiFi routers in the area? Use InSSIDer to find out.
Turn off Short GI and Extra Wireless Protection if you have it. Under Advanced/Advanced Wireless.

What Firmware version is currently loaded? Found on routers web page under status.

What ISP Service do you have? Cable or DSL?
What ISP Modem do you have? Stand Alone or built in router?
What ISP Modem make and model do you have?
If this modem has a built in router, it's best to bridge the modem. Having 2 routers on the same line can cause connection problems.

Some things to try:
Ensure DNS IP addresses are being filled in under Setup/Internet/Manual? You can find these under Status/Device Info/Wan section.
Turn off ALL QoS (DIR only) GameFuel (DGL only and if ON.) options. Advanced/QoS or Gamefuel.
Turn off Advanced DNS Services if you have this option under Setup/Internet/Manual.
Turn on DNS Relay under Setup/Networking.
Setup DHCP reserved IP addresses for all devices on the router. Setup/Networking
Ensure devices are set to auto obtain an IP address.
Set Firewall settings to Endpoint Independent for TCP and UDP.
Cable: 1Gb/50Mb>NetGear CM1200>DIR-882>HP 24pt Gb Switch. COVR-1202/2202/3902,DIR-2660/80,3xDGL-4500s,DIR-LX1870,857,835,827,815,890L,880L,868L,836L,810L,685,657,3x655s,645,628,601,DNR-202L,DNS-345,DCS-933L,936L,960L and 8000LH.

AquaManiac

• Level 1 Member
Re: wireless slow down??
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2012, 03:17:57 PM »

No, I have not experienced the issue you described. Can you tell us what you are pinging or indicate how many hops away it is from you via a trace route. I would suggest that you run four pings to see differences in bottlenecks.
  • Ping a local host from your WiFi segment if possible (not router perhaps a printer, other pc, or STB/console), i.e. 192.168.0.100
  • Ping router's internal ip of 192.168.0.1
  • Ping a third hop router in your ISP's network unless you have a static ip address then you can just ping your next hop ISP's ip.
  • Ping an Internet ip such as www.yahoo.com

Using this will help you determine were the bottle resides. Please keep in mind that D-Link router's built-in QoS will prioritize pings and trace routes as low priority traffic. Also, the remote network devices may not respond to pings or trace routes for security reasons. You may also want to resolve the www.yahoo.com using nslookup and only use one ip to get better results.

Here is a thought. If you do not have a static ip in use on your router and for whatever reason the type of Internet traffic you do informs others to utilize your current Internet DHCP ip, by rebooting the router you could be avoiding unwanted Internet peering requests when the router obtains a different Internet DHCP ip.

• Is there a particular time and day that this slow down occurs?
  • If you plug into the lan port while this event is occurring, does you laptop still experience the problem?
  • What other potential sources of traffic are occurring on your LAN/WAN?
  • During this time of slow down, how fast is your WiFi NIC indicating your WiFi throughput is? You can also get this information via STATUS-->WIRELESS looking at Rate column from the D-Link router.