• April 16, 2024, 07:15:14 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Pages: [1] 2 3 4

Author Topic: 1.20 Beta Firmware Feedback Thread  (Read 45544 times)

Reinvented

• Level 4 Member
1.20 Beta Firmware Feedback Thread
« on: May 01, 2009, 06:15:36 PM »

I've just loaded this on, and so far so good.

You cannot however downgrade, and you CANNOT use your old configuration from either 1.16 FW or 1.15.  It's best to start from scratch anyway. 

Again, it's a beta firmware, and it seems good so far.  They've added the Advanced DNS service, which is currently on the DIR-655, and the CATCHPA authentication to login to the router.  I disabled both however. 

Just to note, BEFORE and AFTER flashing, you SHOULD clear the NVRAM by doing a 90 second reset, in which you hold down the reset button.  After the first 30 seconds, remove power, and keep it out.  Another 30 seconds should pass, and you should plug the router back in.  And continue holding the reset without letting go for the last 30 seconds.

DO NOT under ANY circumstances flash over wireless, as there is a chance you can brick your router due to corrupted firmware and dropped packets through the radio waves.

AND!  Last but not least, for those of you who use Shareport, PLEASE reinstall the software to regain function of your NAS devices, etc.

I have so far tested my games associated with Blizzard Entertainment..and it seems okay.  Still a few spikes, but it seems better.
« Last Edit: May 01, 2009, 06:26:25 PM by Reinvented »

anon

• Level 3 Member
Re: 1.20 Beta Firmware Feedback Thread
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2009, 07:41:52 PM »

Glad to see that. But after following the last beta release with the dir-655, I’m going to wait on this one. If it goes anything like the dir-655 beta release a final version should be out in a few. Also I’m guessing the latest’s to shareport will follow it.

Reinvented

• Level 4 Member
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2009, 08:40:25 AM »

This is kinda disturbing...

Haven't seen so many errors before ever.  Never EVER 24 on LAN.   1.15 it never went past 5. And the router has ONLY been up for 14 hours.

Secondly, I am going to assume that the firmware version says "1.20NA" for North America, since there are other countries that use it?  Am I correct in this assumption?

And they should really rename QoS Engine to GameFuel ;)

LAN Statistics
Sent :34271953
TX Packets Dropped :24
Collisions :0
Received :22010441
RX Packets Dropped :0
Errors :0

WAN Statistics
Sent :5539360
TX Packets Dropped :0
Collisions :0
Received :6287897
RX Packets Dropped :0
Errors :0

Wireless Statistics
Sent :28325936
TX Packets Dropped :64312
Received :39650799
RX Packets Dropped :399463
Errors :562

Normally it'll over around 5, and never go higher than that.  Is there a reason the LAN errors are happening?

Overall though, seems good and stable so far.

MPDamon

• Level 2 Member
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2009, 11:00:42 AM »

Something wrong with your measured uplink speed for gamefuel. 

I have a 2MB upload.

The gamefuel measured it at something really high and then the last one was 84433 kbps  which would be 84MB upload. 

Reinvented

• Level 4 Member
« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2009, 02:00:18 PM »

I wouldn't do the automatic, because if you have an ISP which offers like a temporary boost (Comcast comes to mind), then it'll go really high, and then drop off.  I would select it manually for best performance.

MPDamon

• Level 2 Member
« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2009, 08:39:09 AM »

I wouldn't do the automatic, because if you have an ISP which offers like a temporary boost (Comcast comes to mind), then it'll go really high, and then drop off.  I would select it manually for best performance.

I always do. Plus if your doing QOS correctly then you need to only be doing about 85% of you max upload. 

My point of the post was not to try to use automatic but rather to tell Dlink that it was broken.  It's always on by default of a new install so people are just going to leave it like that.  Even with ISP's boosts it's not going to be 80 meg off.

Dragonslore

• Level 2 Member
« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2009, 11:01:49 AM »

I just updated my firmware to 1.20 B12 and found a couple of things which I do not like.

1) The Login Captcha - When you refresh the image, this automatically clears the password field.

- Please fix so the password field does not get cleared EXCEPT for a failed login.

I find that the Captcha used here presents images for which the characters can not be made out by us Humans.

2) Advanced DNS Service - Please allow users to select the DNS Service we would like to use

- I prefer to use OpenDNS for my DNS service and I do have an account with them as this service actively blocks Conflicker and allows you to block domains by category and by domain.

I disabled Advanced DNS just so I could enter the OpenDNS settings. Matter of fact, I had saved my configuration settings then used the file to restore my settings as per the instructions, yet the Advanced DNS was enabled by default, preventing my saved setting from restoring the OpenDNS entries.

Leave the Advanced DNS settings Disabled and let the user decide if they want to use it.
- Excuse the writing, I've got a Dyslexic Keyboard

Puffnstuff

• Level 3 Member
« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2009, 11:38:48 AM »

Does this firmware still require wireless to be enbled in order to make changes?  Also does upnp work now?
« Last Edit: May 03, 2009, 11:40:51 AM by Puffnstuff »

Reinvented

• Level 4 Member
« Reply #8 on: May 03, 2009, 12:04:31 PM »

I always do. Plus if your doing QOS correctly then you need to only be doing about 85% of you max upload. 

My point of the post was not to try to use automatic but rather to tell Dlink that it was broken.  It's always on by default of a new install so people are just going to leave it like that.  Even with ISP's boosts it's not going to be 80 meg off.

I used Automatic also.  Mine measured correctly at 1034...which is 10 more than what I SHOULD be getting.  My line from TWC is rated for 10/1.

@Dragonslore: I was able to read the CATCHPA correctly when first logging into the router.
« Last Edit: May 03, 2009, 12:11:07 PM by Reinvented »

Dragonslore

• Level 2 Member
« Reply #9 on: May 03, 2009, 12:48:18 PM »

Try refreshing the Captcha a few times and you'll see there are some you'll have trouble with and others you won't.

Some of the characters you can tell what they are with no problem, but other characters can be difficult to figure out what with the way the Captcha presents them.

I've had a few which I thought I had entered correctly only to have a message basically tell me to try again.

Plus I notice that there is no option to configure the captcha other than to disable/enable it.

So I just totally disabled the Captcha on my router after having too many problems with it.
- Excuse the writing, I've got a Dyslexic Keyboard

Puffnstuff

• Level 3 Member
« Reply #10 on: May 03, 2009, 03:16:55 PM »

Well I went ahead and flashed to this new fw and so far it seems to be working ok.  I just reentered all of my information from scratch then resaved the file.  I tried loading a saved file but it started acting up so I had to clear it via hard reset and do it manually which works fine.

anon

• Level 3 Member
« Reply #11 on: May 03, 2009, 08:03:48 PM »

Not really a question if the f/w will work. It's pretty much the same thing both the dir-655 and dir-825 got a couple weeks ago. They all pretty much have the same hardware. I would like to see if the problems that dgl-4500 users stated in the past have been addressed with this release.

MPDamon

• Level 2 Member
« Reply #12 on: May 03, 2009, 08:29:17 PM »

I used Automatic also.  Mine measured correctly at 1034...which is 10 more than what I SHOULD be getting.  My line from TWC is rated for 10/1.

@Dragonslore: I was able to read the CATCHPA correctly when first logging into the router.

Yeah not sure what the deal is then.  I hard reset.  Reflashed and still the same issue.  Weird.

SkyOwl

• Level 2 Member
« Reply #13 on: May 03, 2009, 09:07:52 PM »

Anybody know what the deal is with the non downgradable 'feature'?  I can't see any reason why the firmware shouldnt be downgradable except for a choice by D-Link.  Why not let us try it and go back if it creates a new issue for your installation?  What if it doesn't work for you and your then stuck with it?  Seems unneccessary.

Reinvented

• Level 4 Member
« Reply #14 on: May 03, 2009, 09:45:25 PM »

Anybody know what the deal is with the non downgradable 'feature'?  I can't see any reason why the firmware shouldnt be downgradable except for a choice by D-Link.  Why not let us try it and go back if it creates a new issue for your installation?  What if it doesn't work for you and your then stuck with it?  Seems unneccessary.

Well, i'll spell this out for you...it is a BETA firmware.  You are NOT obligated to use this.  You do so at your own discretion.  If you want to be able to downgrade, then simply do not use this firmware.  VERY simple...

Normally reasons for no downgrades is that it usually fixes problems, and keeps the vulnerabilities away that existed in previous firmware.  I for one would not want to be able to downgrade back to those problems.  But again, some of you live by the rule "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" - which by all means is great. 

AS for some of the issues...CAPTCHA is still readable...however, I think having it disabled from the get-go is better. I was however able to read it easily, and if in fact that there IS a failed login attempt (because the CAPTCHA not being correct IS considered a failed attempt), it SHOULD reset both the password field and the CAPTCHA field.

To address the QoS/GameFuel thing...just set it manually.  Automatic can screw up.  It's not precise.  Still read at 1034/1052/1018 for me.  I'm going to guess that you have some kind of "boost" on your upload, which can cause the results to spike VERY high like that. 

And @Anon: The 4500 isn't even remotely like the DIR-655.  If anything, it's more like the 825. 

And last but not least: I read in the DIR-655 section that OpenDNS provides the Advanced DNS services for D-Link.  The only downside is, there is no "dashboard" type feature to control what comes in, etc.

Hope some of this information helps you all!

Again, thank you for your feedback in this thread! 
Pages: [1] 2 3 4